Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Want to build a proper 3-4, study the Chief's.

cchhdd25

If we really want to build a successful 3-4 , all we have to do is look at the Chief's on how to do it. Just be prepared for a boring road ahead come draft time.

Chief's 2008 and 2009 top 5 picks were spent on their defensive ends, Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson. Also in 2005 and 2006 they spent their 1st rounders on linebackers, in Derrick Johnson and Tali.

They also got lucky with some great 2008 mid rounders panning out well in Flowers and Carr.

So for everyone wanting the flashy picks like Julio Jones, A.J. Green, or Cam Newton, just be prepared for a few J.J. Watt's or Ryan Kerrigan picks. Or just cross your fingers Fairley falls.

Four players among their starting front seven were drafted to fit 4-3 schemes. Of the three remaining, one of them (Vrabel) was a grizzled veteran free agent acquisition. Probably the biggest factor in KC's turnaround on defense (from 30th to 14th in yards allowed) has not been the addition of personnel so much as the addition of Romeo Crennel as a coordinator and having a full year of experience in the 3-4 base under their belt.

Sounds like their front office that had an idea what they're doing. Congratulations to them. I'm jealous. Fast forward to 2011, we just need a massive influx of talent and we are going to have to get it where we can find it PROVIDING it's not for future draft picks.

Sounds like their front office that had an idea what they're doing. Congratulations to them. I'm jealous. Fast forward to 2011, we just need a massive influx of talent and we are going to have to get it where we can find it PROVIDING it's not for future draft picks.

Again, most of KC's defensive players are the product of the previous front office. There's no doubt that Pioli knows what he's doing in there now... but the Chiefs rebuild was far less of a rebuild than most of you guys are making it out to be.

Four players among their starting front seven were drafted to fit 4-3 schemes. Of the three remaining, one of them (Vrabel) was a grizzled veteran free agent acquisition. Probably the biggest factor in KC's turnaround on defense (from 30th to 14th in yards allowed) has not been the addition of personnel so much as the addition of Romeo Crennel as a coordinator and having a full year of experience in the 3-4 base under their belt.

Yep, IF you think the KC "model" means anything, you also be pretty certain we will have a very good defense next year.

i might root for KC if i didn't live around KC fans. they're douche's. they're dallas-lite.

the redskins are my 1 and only team in the NFL, but i wouldn't say they were the best, unless they were.

i been in missouri 5 years, and year in, year out, the chiefs are THE BEST TEAM IN FOOTBALL, according to these methbabies.

Get an elite defensive coordinator? Trust me Jim Haslett sucks.

Greg Williams is going to be looking for a head coaching job in offseason. He probably won't want to come back to Washington seeing how he left but maybe if he can't find a headcoaching job and if you promise him to be the heir of the job and screw over lil Shanahan he'll be the D-coordinator for a year or two.

I admire the Chiefs defense but they are not a model we should be attempting to follow. As previously stated the majority of their players were drafted as 4-3. Dorsey was a huge surprise to have the success he has at DE. Tyson Jackson is not a starter and has largely been a disapointment. Derrick Johnson was a 4-3 OLB that fell out of favor with the new staff in year one. Again, a huge surprise to transition into the 3-4. Hali was on the verge of bust status as a 4-3 DE.

They're a great success story but hardly a model to build from.

Greg Williams is going to be looking for a head coaching job in offseason. He probably won't want to come back to Washington seeing how he left but maybe if he can't find a headcoaching job and if you promise him to be the heir of the job and screw over lil Shanahan he'll be the D-coordinator for a year or two.

Gregg Williams blows. How a Saints fan doesn't know that is beyond me.

There really isn't a reliable model to use for making the transition. The teams that have had a bit of success with it have all had wildly different time frames and methods for going about it. The ones that have had the most early success going from the 4-3 to the 3-4 simply seem to have found a number of players who have adapted to the scheme surprisingly well despite not having prior experience in it in addition to adding as few as one or two skilled players through the draft.

Dorsey was supposed to be a disruptive 3-tech penetrating DT, the next Warren Sapp. He has been a disspointment. The Chiefs have done a good job of converting. Many of the defensive guys were not drafted in a 3-4 building model. Tyson Jackson, drafted so highly, signaled a clear shift to the 3-4, and he was viewed as a reach, when taken over Orakpo.

Clearly we have missing components defensively, I wouldn't say we don't have a plan, or need to look at other models. Hasslet said, he knows what the defense needs. Do we have the resources to acquire those parts? Picking 10th I think we are in position to go defensively. I think the Qb's will be gone, and any offensive guys, like Green, who may be an overwhelming BPA at the that point, will also be gone.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of him, I mean if you look at the personel for the Saints defensive it's pretty impressive. We've got some great corners/safeties and some play makers in front 7 but our defense is still way too inconsistent. I was kinda hoping we'd get Wade and wouldn't mind if we get John Fox to replace him if he leaves for a HC job. I think the defensive turnaround has much more to do with Jabari Greer signing, Jason David being cut, and Tracy Porter and Will Smith getting healthy. But I dunno, I though I was in the minority with that opinion.

Get an elite defensive coordinator? Trust me Jim Haslett sucks.

Say NO to GW!!! He sucks as evident last night against the Seahawks.. he is now 0-3 against the Seahawks (a bad team at that) in the playoffs in their house.

Thank you!

all we need to do is go back to the 4-3. we have the playmakers for a sick 4-3

but this new egotistical arrogant stupid regime thinks we needed to revamp a efense that was a few player away from legend. **** you haslett... oh yea and you too shanahallen

He probably won't want to come back to Washington seeing how he left but maybe if he can't find a headcoaching job and if you promise him to be the heir of the job and screw over lil Shanahan he'll be the D-coordinator for a year or two.

How the hell did you just turn a thread about the 3-4 into one about us supposedly wanting Gregg Williams back here? I really don't believe that we would possibly ever even consider going back to a 4-3 this year after starting to acquire the players for the 3-4. It would be beyond retarded to do that now. Where does this idea come from?

Archived