Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AZCentral.com: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords: The victims

Fergasun

Should the NFL seed the straight best records regardless of division champs?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL seed the straight best records regardless of division champs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

AZCentral.com: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords: the Victims

Link here.

Also killed was 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green of Tucson. A neighbor was going to the Giffords event and invited Christina along because she thought she would enjoy it, said her uncle, Greg Segalini. Christina had just been elected to the student council at her school. The event, held outside a Safeway supermarket north of Tucson, was an opportunity for constituents to meet Giffords and talk about any concerns they had related to the federal government. "The next thing you know this happened. How do you prepare for something like this. My little niece got killed-took one on the chest and she is dead," Segalini said outside the girl's house. Christina was involved in many activities, from ballet to baseball, Segalini said. "She was real special and real sweet," Segalini said.
Sad. If this person intended to kill a Congresswoman, he could've done so in her district office. This person intended to cause mass carnage and attack our democracy. This is a direct assault on the right to assemble peaceably and organize into political force that provides the debate and environment to run this American experiment.

My heart goes out to the family of the victims, and especially 9-year old Christina Taylor Green.

God bless their families and give them strength. Let's hope something good comes from this act of evil. I wrote this after Virginia Tech and it feels appropriate. A lot of the thoughts still hold true anyway.

After Virginia Tech

By Andrew Hiller

Every weekend I volunteer a few hours to help the elderly. I lead sing-a-longs, I play games, and I offer friendship. We usually gather in a circle in a common room that is meant to be comforting, but often feels Spartan. The drone of a tv delivers its omens and portends. The residents often keep it on a news channel despite the fact that some of the aides think that the “news” will distress them, but each day ripples deeply into all of the lives.

The events in Blacksburg this week remind me of 2002, the time of the DC Sniper. The Sniper caused a lot of panic and a lot of grief, but what I really remember is Annie pausing after a song and asking me,

“Andrew? Is there any hope left? Is the world really that bad?” And I remember looking at her and seeing that most of the faces in my circle shared the same question. I answered her,

"No. The world’s still a good place."

How do I know? Because people still get shocked by things like this. When this becomes the norm, when people stop caring, then it will not be a good place. It’s a good place because the thousand little nice things that are done every day are taken for granted. It’s no big deal if someone opens a door or helps someone up who’s fallen. It is not newsworthy when people surrender their seat on the Metro for someone pregnant or disabled, although that happens less often than it should. It is so much easier to count one’s curses than one’s blessings.

This week thirty-two people were murdered in Blacksburg in a place most of us think of as safe. As a haven. Thirty-two lives that had great potential and we ask ourselves, “Why?” Why is the world like this? Has our world really become such a terrible, evil place?

What happened at Virginia Tech is tragic, and the events will be examined, turned inside-out, and scrutinized. People will use what happened to push their own agendas, as a catalyst to cause blame, despair and to hate; and that’s natural, even reasonable.

But it’s also an opportunity for us to come together.

Everywhere you look there is an opportunity to do a kindness, to volunteer, to brighten the world. In the name of tragedy, we should all strive to better our community to better our lives. As a Founding Father once said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Today, the questions shouldn’t only revolve around what has been done and what could have been done better. We need to do more than that.

God Bless the students, their friends, and their families.

This is a dispicable act, and frankly, guys like this, are the reason Some criminals should be lethally injected, shot in the head, and then hung in effigy overnight. Alas, that's not happening, but I hope this guy gets the death penalty. I don't care what your political position is, but if you want to counter someone's ideas, then come at them in the political arena armed with ideas, not guns.

This is a dispicable act, and frankly, guys like this, are the reason Some criminals should be lethally injected, shot in the head, and then hung in effigy overnight. Alas, that's not happening, but I hope this guy gets the death penalty. I don't care what your political position is, but if you want to counter someone's ideas, then come at them in the political arena armed with ideas, not guns.

I hope this sort of things gives those who run for office and their talking heads pause for thoughts when speaking.

Sitting back and hearing the sort of things I have heard concerning the healthcare bill this sort of things happening is not surprising.

2nd ammnedmant solutions,Tyranny, another American revolution, the repeal of the job killing bill.

I posted this in the other thread, but if this one will be more about the victims and less about politics, it probably makes sense here:

U.S. District Judge John M. Roll

Named Arizona's chief federal judge in 2006, Roll won wide acclaim for a career as a respected jurist and as a leader who had pushed to beef up the court's strained bench to handle a growing number of border crime-related cases.

"I have never met a more sincere ... fair-minded, brilliant federal judge or any judge for that matter in my whole life," Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said.

Roll, 63, was heading home after a trip to church and the store before stopping to visit briefly with Giffords at an event she was holding for constituents at a northwest-side Tucson Safeway.

Roll was a Pennsylvania native who got his law degree from the University of Virginia. He is survived by his wife, Maureen, three sons, and five grandchildren.

Roll was appointed to the federal bench in 1991 by President George H.W. Bush. Roll previously served as a state trial judge and as a judge on the midlevel Arizona Court of appeals. He previously worked as a county and state prosecutor.

Christina Taylor Greene

The 9-year-old who was shot at the event and later died at a hospital went to the Giffords event with a neighbor because she had just been elected to the student council and was interested in government, her uncle told KTAR in Phoenix.

Born Sept. 11, 2001, according to NBC station KVOA, she attended Mesa Verde Elementary School.

Gabe Zimmerman

Giffords' 30-year-old communications outreach director was engaged to be married, the Arizona Republic reported. He had worked for Giffords in her Tucson district since 2007.

“We serve who walks into our office and we don’t even ask what party they belong to,” Zimmerman told the Tucson Citizen in 2007.

Dorwin Stoddard

The 76-year-old retiree was described as a jack of all trades by Mike Nowak, the couple’s minister at Mountain Ave. Church of Christ, told the Arizona Daily Star. Stoddard's wife, Mavanell, was shot in the leg but is expected to recover, the Star reported.

Stoddard, who performed maintenance work at the church, and his wife spent summers traveling, friends told the Star. The couple visited all 50 states and 28 foreign countries, they said.

Other victims

Police said Dorthy Murray, 76, and Phyllis Scheck, 79, were also killed in the shooting.

Also injured but expected to be all right, said C.J. Karamargin, Giffords' communications director, are staffer Pam Simon and deputy director Ron Barber.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40983356/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

I believe this is Giffords' last real speech on the floor (During Debate on the NASA Authorization Act, September 29, 2010):

Ms. GIFFORDS. Mr. Speaker, first of all, I would like to recognize Chairman Gordon for his outstanding leadership chairing our full committee. We are going to miss you, Mr. Chairman. It has been an outstanding experience for me the last couple of terms. And as well, to Ranking Member Hall and Ranking Member Olson for their leadership.

Mr. Speaker, I rise today in strong opposition to S. 3729, the Senate's NASA authorization bill. As chair of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee, and along with the other members of the subcommittee and full committee, we care deeply about the future of NASA and the future of our Nation's civil space program. NASA defines us as a Nation, who we are--our defense, our innovation, our inspiration, our ability to explore. We care deeply about the role that Congress needs to play to ensure that NASA will embark on an executable and a sustainable path for the future.

In contrast to supporters of the Senate bill who will say that today they reluctantly support the Senate bill because it is better than doing nothing, I have no reluctance in telling you that this is a bad bill. It will do damage to NASA if enacted, and it should be voted down tonight. Now, I know that Members have a lot of different issues on their minds today. Certainly most Members didn't even know that a NASA authorization bill was coming up for a vote today. So for Members who are making up their minds on whether to support this bill today, I would like to offer a couple of reasons why you should oppose it.

If you are a member of the Blue Dog Coalition or a member of the Republican Study Committee, you should oppose this bill because it lacks serious budgetary discipline. To be specific, the bill contains an unfunded mandate to keep the shuttle program going through all of fiscal year 2011, even after the shuttle is retired, which, by NASA estimates, will cost NASA more than one-half billion dollars for 2011, and it doesn't have that money. It will bust the budget for the shuttle and jeopardize NASA's other important science, aeronautics, and technology programs.

It also contains a rocket designed not by our best engineers but by our colleagues over on the Senate side. By NASA's own internal analysis, they estimate this rocket will cost billions more than the Senate provides. And, finally, if you are a Blue Dog or a member of the Republican Study Committee, or any Member of Congress, you should strenuously oppose a $58 billion funding bill that is being brought up on the last day before adjourning with no House input on its creation and no opportunity for amendment by Members of the House. This is not the functioning bicameral legislature that our Founding Fathers fought to create.

Next, if you are a Member who cares deeply about STEM education or minority education programs, you need to know that this bill is written in a certain way that NASA's STEM education programs and Minority University Research and Education programs will be cut in excess of 30 percent. What does this mean? Well, it means if you represent a Historically Black College or University or Hispanic-serving institution, a tribal college, this sort of institution, you will be affected by these cuts.

In addition, if you care about the future of NASA's human spaceflight program, you should oppose this bill. As I mentioned earlier, this bill contains provisions that will force NASA to build a rocket designed by Senators and not by engineers. Contrary to assertions that this bill's supporters talk about, this rocket will be too large to economically serve as a backup commercial crew transport to the space station. It may also prove to be too small to effectively undertake human missions beyond low-Earth orbit. Not only do NASA's own internal studies indicate that it will cost significantly more than the Senate is budgeting, but they also estimate that it will become operational years later than the Senate plan assumes.

So we are looking at this gap and, in short, the Senate bill forces NASA to build a rocket that doesn't meet its needs, with a budget that is not adequate to do the job, and on a schedule that NASA's own analyses says is unrealistic. That is not my idea of the executable and sustainable human spaceflight program that we all desire. And, finally, if you care about corporate responsibility, if you care about safety, and if you want to prevent us from being in the position a few years down the road of having to choose between sending more money to Russia or bailing out the would-be commercial crew and cargo providers who fail to perform in budget and on schedule, you should oppose this Senate NASA bill. The Senate bill gives an additional $1.6 billion to would-be commercial cargo and crew transport companies who have yet to demonstrate that they can do either. There is no obligation that these commercial companies put any ``skin in the game'' of their own, and the safety requirements on their rockets are vague at best.

Since the Senate bill provides no credible government backup capability to the would-be commercial providers, approving the Senate bill today would inevitably put NASA in the position of relying on these companies that will become too big to fail. The American taxpayers will then have to bear the responsibility and the burden of bad public policy if we vote on this bill tonight. I think that the public deserves better.

Now, I know that in the Senate there is a lot of debate, and some Members will fall back on the argument that they have to approve this tonight before the end of the fiscal year because the contractors are facing layoffs. And no one has more sympathy than members of our subcommittee about the workforce, but the reality is different. It is different than the rhetoric. Aerospace jobs are tied to funding, and funding for NASA for the balance of this calendar year will be set by the continuing resolution that we will be voting on tonight, not this authorization bill. Funding for the remainder of fiscal year 2011 will be determined by the appropriations bill that we enact after we return for a lame duck session, not by this authorization.

The bill before us today cannot change the fact that the funding level for NASA's workforce, and any layoff that will result from that funding level, will be the result of the continuing resolution and subsequent appropriation bills and not this authorization. So Members should not be fooled by this red herring argument. The truth is that you will not be doing anything to stop layoffs tonight by voting for the Senate bill today. Does the aerospace industry need certainty? Absolutely. But they need certainty in an executable and affordable program that the Senate bill does not prov.

Could the problems with the Senate bill be fixed? Of course they could. But that is what the legislative process is about, not under suspension of the rules with no amendments allowed.

The fact of the matter is that there was a compromise NASA Authorization Act of 2010 that Science and Technology Chairman Bart Gordon proposed and is the direct result of lengthy discussions with the Senate and the House Members. Of course, that isn't perfect, and no bill is, but flaws can be fixed by discussion between the Chambers. But if you vote tonight positively on this Senate bill, the democratic process that has been the cornerstone of our democracy will be undermined and that will not occur.

So let's take the time to get this job done, and done the right way. Let's vote down the Senate bill tonight so we can work with Chairman Gordon, Ranking Member Hall, and the Senate on a compromise bill so that we can have a responsible NASA bill that can be acted upon when we return for the lame duck session. In closing, if you care about budgetary discipline, protecting STEM education, minority education programs, if you care about NASA's human spaceflight program, you should vote ``no'' on the Senate authorization bill.

That same week she advocated and got a bill passed to deal with the issue of ultralight planes smuggling drugs in from Mexico.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 11:33 PM ----------

On May 5, 2009; she gave a speech talking about the virtues of community colleges (like the ones attended by the shooter)

Ms. GIFFORDS. Mr. Speaker, I am honored today to celebrate April as National Community College Month with my support of H. Res. 338, ``Supporting the Goals and Ideals of National Community College.'' As the largest rural college district in the state, Cochise College has served the area of Southeastern Arizona since 1964. With multiple campuses and learning centers in Douglas, Sierra Vista, Benson, Willcox, Fort Huachuca, and Nogales, Cochise educates about 14,000 students a year.

Community colleges are essential to expanding access to postsecondary education to those who might not normally benefit from traditional colleges and universities. As a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges consortium, Cochise College offers tailored learning to active-duty or retired servicemembers and their families. Furthermore, community colleges contribute over $31 billion annually to the Nation's economic growth. In Cochise County, the College is the 10th largest employer in the county. Cochise College strives to educate students with transferable degrees and direct-employment training, which are important tools in a competitive job market such as this. As Southeastern Arizona continues to grow, the College's role becomes ever so important to our community's development. I am proud to celebrate National Community College Month by recognizing the integral role community colleges play in our evolving society.

(Inserted into the public record) Mr. Speaker, I am honored today to celebrate April as National Community College Month with my support of H. Res. 338, ``Supporting the Goals and Ideals of National Community College Month.'' More than 11 million students are enrolled in for-credit and not-for-credit programs at community colleges nationwide, and in my district alone, over 73,000 students attend Pima Community College in Tucson, Arizona. Community colleges are essential to expanding access to postsecondary education to a more diverse population than traditional colleges and universities. Pima Community College exemplifies that mission with a student profile compiled of 56% women and 42% ethnic minorities.

Since 1969, Pima Community College has provided an affordable and convenient education by offering child care, job placement assistance, financial aid, and other support services. As University fees continue to rise and more people return to school in an increasingly competitive job market, the College's role becomes ever so important to our community's development. I am proud to celebrate National Community College Month by recognizing the integral role community colleges play in our evolving society.

Trying to find some more background on Giffords. She didn't speak much on the floor during the health care debate, only talking about how much she was grateful that we will no longer deny pre-existing coverages.

She was a border hawk during the 111th Congress, and during the 110th she was pushing solar energy. She had a number of items put in the Congressional Record honoring soldiers who were KIA during Iraq and Afghanistan. Also had a number of items on local events in her district. For instance she praised the Tuscon Book day where the shooter also was a volunteer.

Archived