Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think I'm officially on the "Blaine Train"

pram11

Just my opinion, but after watching every clip I could find of this guy, I think he's the QB who best fits what Mike Shanahan wants in a quarterback. In fact, his package of size, arm strenght and mobility has been compared to Aaron Rodgers; which is a lot like another QB Shanahan drafted -- Jay Cutler. Granted, I do think he's a bit raw at just 20-years old, coming from a spread offense that rarely had him taking snaps under center and needing some work overall; but IMO, he's the kind of kid Shanahan can draft, sit for a year and turn into a pro bowler 3 years from now, ala Jay Cutler. I do not think he'll be there at #10. He could end up going in the top 5, so we'd have to deal up to get him. And as someone pointed out earlier, a rookie pay scale could increase the number of teams willing to move up. That said, no coach is more QB-crazed than Shanahan and if he is convinced Blaine is "THE GUY" he has to have to build his offense around, I don't think he'll be conservative in his efforts to move up and get him. He said one of the reasons he moved up and got Cutler was because he never was in a position to get a top QB in the draft. With him being in position this year and knowing the opportunity to get a QB you really like is hard to come by, I think the effort to move up will be on.

As with most people on ES, I'm happy with whoever Shanahan decides is his QB but from my limited knowledge Gabbert is the guy I would go for. After years of watching JC the biggest thing that sticks out for me re: Gabbert is his release. He see's the pass and the ball is gone. Would love to see the kind of precision passing Gabbert will be capable of in a Kyle Shanahan Offense.

I think you should change it to Gabbert's Gang that's what a few of us had talked about as a thread name for talking about him but I do agree he's someone who fits this offense very well and would do wonders for our WR's and TE's

I think the "Gabbert's Gang" thread can be more well done than this...it would be great to have steve himself put it together, to do it justice. That OP sure doesn't.

Well, my intent wasn't to do blaine's fanclub justice; it was to say that I'm now on the bandwagon for drafting him.

To answer another poster's question: I was preaching mallett but after watching him closely I don't think shanny would ever draft him. Great arm, size and makes some eye-popping throws, but his performance when having to throw under durress worried me. His release becomes severely elongated and he was terribly inaccurate.

My two top picks for Qb for the skins would be gabbert or locker. Mallet is to much of a pocket passer he will get destroyed in the nfc east behind our oline. Newton is going to be great he just reminds me of jason campbell an auburn qb who is mobile with a big arm.

My two top picks for Qb for the skins would be gabbert or locker. Mallet is to much of a pocket passer he will get destroyed in the nfc east behind our oline. Newton is going to be great he just reminds me of jason campbell an auburn qb who is mobile with a big arm.

I honestly don't think that people who make that comparison have watched either play while at Auburn. The comparison is so stupid and has been debunked constantly on this board.

Do you think Newton will have a better career in the NFL?

I think he'd have to end up in the perfect situation with a creative coach who is ready to build an offense around him...and how often does that happen, and succeed? Not very often, or else almost every QB that doesn't have off-field issues/work ethic issues would be a franchise QB.

Do you think Newton will have a better career in the NFL?

I have no idea, but that's not what my post was referring to. Campbell and Newton are nothing alike. Campbell had a running back or two who were, you know, halfway decent. Newton is the entire offense.

Comparing the two is like comparing apples and orange soda.

I have no idea, but that's not what my post was referring to. Campbell and Newton are nothing alike. Campbell had a running back or two who were, you know, halfway decent. Newton is the entire offense.

Comparing the two is like comparing apples and orange soda.

Gotcha. I came in in the middle of the convo, thanks for catching me up.

There are fans that have their own favorites, and rightly so.

But the tools that Gabbert has:

One of the quickest releases in football

Very strong arm

Can throw ropes and can put a touch on the ball.

Is very smart- 4.1 GPA with honors classes

And is very mobile

Some people say he wont fit Kyles offense because the progression goes from the deep ball down to

short passes. And that Gabbert did not do that in college.

Well its very true, but how many college offenses are schemed like that?

Gabbert is a young player who has to learn the NFL system, and with his smarts it wont be hard.

This is not like asking a 34 year old McNabb who has been in one system his whole career, to change.

This kid, no matter where he goes is going to have to learn a system. Why not have two of the best qb coach's

in the NFL to teach him.

We are not looking for a day one starter, which ever qb they draft is going to have to do his time till ready.

It might as well be a QB that has the tools to succeed like Gabbert does.

Iii

I honestly don't think that people who make that comparison have watched either play while at Auburn. The comparison is so stupid and has been debunked constantly on this board.

Its not really stupid there both auvurn qbs they both led undefeatefd teams an they both have pretty good arm strength. I actually first heard this comparison on espn first take when campbell was on. I didn't say they were a like I just said he reminds me of campbell and we already seen how that turned out. I know campbell is more of a pocket passer while newton can do way more with his feet but still size wise and seeing him in an auburn uniform he reminds me of campbell.

There are fans that have their own favorites, and rightly so.

But the tools that Gabbert has:

One of the quickest releases in football

Very strong arm

Can throw ropes and can put a touch on the ball.

Is very smart- 4.1 GPA with honors classes

And is very mobile

Some people say he wont fit Kyles offense because the progression goes from the deep ball down to

short passes. And that Gabbert did not do that in college.

Well its very true, but how many college offenses are schemed like that?

Gabbert is a young player who has to learn the NFL system, and with his smarts it wont be hard.

This is not like asking a 34 year old McNabb who has been in one system his whole career, to change.

This kid, no matter where he goes is going to have to learn a system. Why not have two of the best qb coach's

in the NFL to teach him.

We are not looking for a day one starter, which ever qb they draft is going to have to do his time till ready.

It might as well be a QB that has the tools to succeed like Gabbert does.

I think, if we get Gabbert or Locker, that they would be put in as starter from day one, a la Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, et al. Give him as much game time experience in the system as possible.

I think, if we get Gabbert or Locker, that they would be put in as starter from day one, a la Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, et al. Give him as much game time experience in the system as possible.

You never know with Shanny running the team he gave Cutler time to learn and sit back so he might do the same again with Gabbert/Locker

You never know with Shanny running the team he gave Cutler time to learn and sit back so he might do the same again with Gabbert/Locker

I can't remember, was Cutler as highly regarded as Gabbert and Locker?

And would it be wise to have them sit and learn from the Sex Cannon?

I can't remember, was Cutler as highly regarded as Gabbert and Locker?

And would it be wise to have them sit and learn from the Sex Cannon?

Cutler was not as highly regarded many didn't see Denver taking Cutler until it happened. As for sitting them behind Sex Cannon it would make sense if you feel he's not ready right off the bat and maybe Shanny says that with Gabbert/Locker but also who knows and they throw him into the fire and see if he makes it out ok

Cutler was not as highly regarded many didn't see Denver taking Cutler until it happened. As for sitting them behind Sex Cannon it would make sense if you feel he's not ready right off the bat and maybe Shanny says that with Gabbert/Locker but also who knows and they throw him into the fire and see if he makes it out ok

That's what I think is going to happen, kind of like the way they gave the whole playbook to everyone and just see what stuck. A few growing pains, sure, but if they're really thought of that highly, I'd take them if it meant we had a true franchise QB for the next 10 years. Hell, even Peyton Manning didn't have a stellar rookie campaign.

That's what I think is going to happen, kind of like the way they gave the whole playbook to everyone and just see what stuck. A few growing pains, sure, but if they're really thought of that highly, I'd take them if it meant we had a true franchise QB for the next 10 years. Hell, even Peyton Manning didn't have a stellar rookie campaign.

Oh no doubt and you never know with Shanny again maybe he says go out there and prove your worth or maybe he says lets bring you along slowly and make sure when you hit the potential you are on your game. It's really a tough call to make because you want that QB to be the best player on your team but you also don't want to throw them into the fire too early

Archived