Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MrIrrelevant.com: Ten Questions With Ex-Redskins QB Jason Campbell: ‘I Was the Scapegoat’

Boston Skins

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2011/01/06/jason-campbell-interview-dan-snyder-mr-irrelevant/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=jason-campbell-interview-dan-snyder-mr-irrelevant

I thought this was an interesting read. If you do not already read this website, Mr. Irrelevant's blog is a great and sometimes comical way to keep up with the Caps, Wizards, Nats, and Skins. I particulary like his post-game winners and losers threads, but I digress...

A question that comes to mind would be this: Is everyone in agreement that the skins would have been better off this year if they had kept Campbell? Sure, it would be nice to have those McNabb picks back, but would Jason have performed better than McNabb did?

I'm inclined to believe so. Changing an offensive system for Jason has got to start feeling like changing clothes. Hindsight is 20/20, but just imagine having the McNabb picks, possibly the same pick for next year's draft, and a decent year from Campbell with only the Albert saga to deal with.

At least Danny boy got some jerseys sold this year...

Hm, that's interesting. There really is something to be said about how badly Donovan adjusted to a new system after playing in the same one for a DECADE.

I suppose Jason would have been like "oh, whatever, sure, I'm used to this." I would think Jason is more 'coachable' than Donovan as well.

I'll never forget when I heard the Donovan news, at like 1 in the morning as I'm falling asleep. I sprung right awake, looked at the TV, and the first thing I said was "no....". Before I could even comprehend it. No one saw it coming really. Go with your gut, first instinct, they say...

Their younger brother is one of my best friends, and these two older brothers are some Campbell homers. JC could do no wrong in their eyes.

Fact of the matter, he just didn't cut it here, and he honestly hasn't been any different in Oakland.

hes played better in oakland, but thats a direct result of maybe the most pummeling running game in the NFL. remember campbell used to play decently when portis was running wild most of the time. fact remains that leaning on campbell is an awful idea for a team, and to be considered a good QB you have to be able to put the team on your shoulders and win. he still cannot do that and never will.

Than he actually hasn't been playing any better, he's just had a better supporting cast.

As you said he showed that he could do the same in WAS when Portis was healthy.

lol, true. he had his obligatory 300+ yard game in a loss, a couple multiple TD performances, and leaned on a huge running game and a defense that was completely hit or miss. im just glad were gonna finally draft another QB.

Their younger brother is one of my best friends, and these two older brothers are some Campbell homers. JC could do no wrong in their eyes.

Fact of the matter, he just didn't cut it here, and he honestly hasn't been any different in Oakland.

People call me that just because I wasn't 100 percent into getting rid of him. He's not the most terrible QB ever which some on this board try to make everyone believe. These are the same people that provide every excuse imaginable for McNabb.

People call me that just because I wasn't 100 percent into getting rid of him. He's not the most terrible QB ever which some on this board try to make everyone believe. These are the same people that provide every excuse imaginable for McNabb.

mcnabb had a proven track record, multiple probowls, and a much more impressive resume. not to mention he only got 13 starts here, campbell got quadruple that.

but at the end of the day, mcnabb wasnt performing either, and no excuses could save him. i was a huge supporter of mcnabb, he wasnt cutting it, we move on, end of story. i doubt youll find many people defending mcnabbs time in DC, yet youll find plenty of people defending campbells tenure.

Its so funny to read the same old lack of objectivity about Campbell coming from the same people.

Even after the 2010 season w/ its terrible 3rd down conversion % and RZ % (despite better talent) you would think there would be some hindsight appreciation for how Campbell performed in 2009.

Jason Campbell has played well lately. Should the Redskins keep him or continue to try to trade him? I like Jason Campbell and I know I'm in the minority when I say that, and that's OK. I do, however, have a couple concerns about him. In light of everything that has gone on in Washington, I don't know how he has remained so calm and not lost his temper. I know I would have erupted long ago. In light of the circus that has been going on there for the last few years, how does he roll along seemingly unaffected by such a dysfunctional organization? That's a concern. There has also been too many times with the game on the line when he has not come through for his team. Having said that, I do like him as a quarterback. It is difficult to fairly evaluate him with all that has happened in Washington with the coaching staff, changes in play callers, etc. I don't know too many quarterbacks who could be put in that situation and play well. I believe he can win a lot of games in this league if given the right people around him and a staff that believes in him. Can you win a Super Bowl with him? I don't know. I think you're always asking that question until someone goes out and wins one. I will stay this about Jason. He works extremely hard and the game is very important to him. He's the first one in the building and the last one to leave. He has a good arm and he stands tall in the pocket and throws well and moves well. Sometimes, however, the best thing for any athlete is to go elsewhere and get a fresh start.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5-Questions-with-FOX-analyst-Troy-Aikman

Here are some facts from 2009 props to Oldskool

OFFENSIVE LINE PRODUCTION:

Quote:

Redskins were 29th in protecting the QB from being sacked, allowing 46 sacks.

Redskins were 28th in protecting the QB from hits, allowing 94.

Redskins OL was 27th in the league, producing 1,508 yards on the ground.

RUNNING BACK PRODUCTION

Redskins rushing attack was ranked 29th in the league, averaging 3.9 yards per carry.

Redskins rushing attack was 26th in the league, averaging 16.6 points per game.

Redskins rushing attack was 26th in the league, totaling 266 points on the ground.

Redskins rushing attack was 27th in the league, with 391 attempts.

Redskins rushing attack was 27th in the league, with 24.4 attempts per game.

Redskins rushing attack was 27th in the league, with 94.2 yards per game.

Redskins rushing attack was tied 25th in the league, with 8 rushing TD's.

Redskins rushing attack was 30th in the league with 72 1st downs via the rush.

Redskins rushing attack was 32nd in the league with 18.4% completion percentage via the rush.

Redskins rushing attack was tied 29th in the league with 6 rushes of 20+ yards or more.

Redskins rushing attack was tied 21th in the league with 1 rush of 40+ yards or more.

JASON CAMPBELL/QUARTERBACK STATISTICS

Quote:

Campbell was 12th in total comp (327)

Campbell was 10th in the league in comp% (64.5%)

Campbell was 20th in attempts per game (31.7)

Campbell was 14th in yards (3,618)

Campbell was 15th in average (7.1)

Campbell was 16th in yards/game (226.1)

Campbell was 18th in TD (20)

Campbell was T9th in INT's (15)

Campbell was T11th in 1st downs (186)

Campbell was 11th in 1st down % (36.7)

Campbell was T 5th with a pass play of 84 yards.

Campbell was 17th with 40 pass plays of 20+ yards.

Campbell was 17th with 8 pass plays of 40+ yards.

Campbell was 15th in the league with a 86.4 QB rating.

-keep hatin fellas extremeskins wouldn't be the same without it

Its so funny to read the same old lack of objectivity about Campbell coming from the same people.

I'm cool with this statement provided that you are including yourself in it.

Is everyone in agreement that the skins would have been better off this year if they had kept Campbell? Sure, it would be nice to have those McNabb picks back, but would Jason have performed better than McNabb did?

I don't think Campbell would have fared any better than McNabb had he stayed. The best case scenario would probably have been to not make the trade for McNabb and still ship JC out to Oakland. Just let Grossman run the show and keep the draft picks.

I'm cool with this statement provided that you are including yourself in it.

I don't think Campbell would have fared any better than McNabb had he stayed. The best case scenario would probably have been to not make the trade for McNabb and still ship JC out to Oakland. Just let Grossman run the show and keep the draft picks.

I know it's just hindsight, but that last sentence is what I wish we woulda done. It's not like we got anywhere this year, so what would it have mattered having Grossman running the ship for 1 year?

click for the rest

Mr. Irrelevant: Do you think you got a fair shake in Washington?

Jason Campell: No, I don’t. Just because the fact that last season I put up really good numbers, and my star running back was out. Clinton Portis was out for most of the season. Then Ladell Betts came in and got hurt. We lost Chris Samuels. We lost our right guard and our right tackle.

So you’re still out there fighting hard in every game … … and there were a lot of close games we should’ve won.

The fact that I was the scapegoat for all of that, it really stung a little bit. It was tough.

Mr. Irrelevant: Even though Donovan McNabb faced a lot of the same obstacles that you did, were you surprised that he struggled so much this season?

Jason Campbell: In the blink of an eye you’ve got to change everything. And it makes it tougher that he went to a team within the division. You’ve got to learn a whole new offense, new players, get used to everyone. It’s not an easy transition.

Mr. Irrelevant: Now you’re free of Daniel Snyder, but you’ve still got Al Davis to deal with. What are the big differences between playing in Oakland vs. playing in Washington?

Jason Campbell: The biggest difference is the hunger the guys [in Oakland] had this year.

:munchout:

I pulled for JC hard, but I think its time to just let go. He did well this year, and I'm glad he didn't have a chance to burn us like everyone else we let go of. From a fan's perspective, he didn't bring the fire as a leader that we need. I never saw him get on anyone's case, and I don't care if we had backups in, you get on their tails and get them all on the same page.

I pulled for JC hard, but I think its time to just let go. He did well this year, and I'm glad he didn't have a chance to burn us like everyone else we let go of. From a fan's perspective, he didn't bring the fire as a leader that we need. I never saw him get on anyone's case, and I don't care if we had backups in, you get on their tails and get them all on the same page.

I'm a big JC fan and I'm glad he's having some success this year. The whole "fire" thing never bothered me. It's not his style and if you try to fake that kind of thing the locker room notices. It's really tough to try to hold other guys accountable when the FO and coaching staff don't have your back. Jason Campbell is never going to be a superstar but no matter how you look at it he never got a fair shot. We saw this year that it doesn't matter who your QB is if you don't surround them with talent.

Oh, Campbell...still making excuses instead of taking responsibility. You were never a winner and couldn't make plays when the team needed you. Yes, we had plenty of close games we might have won. I say, "might have", because we had a chance to win, but you couldn't make a pass when we needed you to, or you threw an interception, or lost a fumble, etc.

Glad he's off the team and not our problem anymore.

Oh, Campbell...still making excuses instead of taking responsibility. You were never a winner and couldn't make plays when the team needed you. Yes, we had plenty of close games we might have won. I say, "might have", because we had a chance to win, but you couldn't make a pass when we needed you to, or you threw an interception, or lost a fumble, etc.

Glad he's off the team and not our problem anymore.

Yup, our team sure has improved since we dumped that loser.... our QB play has really taken off too. McNabb was lights out and Rex never turns the ball over. Oh, and those poor Raiders, they really turned into a joke, huh?

Come on people, lets not start this one over. He got over 50 starts, lost most of them, put up some good garbage time stats when we were down 10+, what else is there to talk about? He got his 8-8 this year just like in Zorn's first year. Lets see how it all turns out for him next year if he's ever called on to win games, he still wont.

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 04:38 AM ----------

The one alarming trend about all former Redskins' comments over recent seasons is that they all seem to say, in some way, that the Redskins "don't have the hunger" or the inner competitive drive needed to win.

It's because a large % of the players all the young guys have to look up to are just signed here for a **** load of cash and don't give a rats ass about the team. It's one of the things that should change now under Shanahan but would have as well a decade ago under Marty Schottenheimer and our little guy didn't have the patience then so lets see.

For whatever reason, JC comes off as very entitled. I mean, McNabb did, but I get that. Guy's had a great career. But JC? He just assumed he was the starter in Oakland, then whined when Bruce G got a shot this year.

Not that it will happen, but I really do think McNabb is a great fit in Oakland. The one thing he really does well still is go deep.

Archived