Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Question / take Luck in the 6th?

bentskin

This could change the way the NFL looks at the draft forever if there is not a rule against it already. I am sure some of you heard this morning on Mike n Mike a fan email that asked why the Panthers would not go ahead and draft Luck #1 anyway to control his rights and sign him next year. Now, that is a huge pick to invest but if he is the QB talent you think he is what is one year to wait? Greeny then asked why not maybe a lower first rounder like 28 or so and that got me thinking.

No NFL team would probably give up a 1st rounder to do something like that but why not a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder. I would do that in a heartbeat especially with supplemental picks. If everybody just ignores Luck because he is staying in college like they have done every year before with players who stay and the Skins are up in the 6th round of the 2011 NFL Draft, who hear would be upset to hear, "and with 209th pick in the NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select Andrew Luck, Stanford University." Heck, why not look at a top senior-to-be prospect and take him in the 7th. You could do this once or twice a year and potentially steal some real talent.

This could start a whole new trend in the way draft picks are used. The NFL might even adjust drafting rules to prevent such a thing but as of now I believe it is legal. The Skins did start the trend in signing RFA's away from other teams back in the JetSkins days but this time they are not having to overpay for a player with 4 years under his belt.

HTTY :logo:

This is really intriguing. I have a feeling though that there has got to be a rule against this. I don't think the NFL works like baseball. My only rationale behind this is that I have never heard of another team doing this already. Plus...wait, isn't there the rule that if you get drafted and you don't sign, you wait a year and then you're back in the draft?

Isn't that what Elway did?

controlling his rights would mean that you have to pay him while he's still in college, which is against the rules. And why would I want to buy a car that I will not be able to drive until a year later? It could get injured and then you lose out completely, regardless of how high profile the player may be now

I believe once you draft a guy you have one year to sign him (or an X amount of time) and he goes back to the open market.

So that would be ideal for Luck. He'll finish out his career at Stanford and not sign with Carolina then have his pick of the litter. He would be able to choose what team he signs with essentially making him a free agent.

If we draft Andrew Luck in the 6th round, we would own his rights until draft day next year. All we would do is prevent him from entering the Supp Draft, or signing as a FA before the draft next year, which is against the rules anyway. We would have essentially drafted air with a pick.

If we draft Andrew Luck in the 6th round, we would own his rights until draft day next year. All we would do is prevent him from entering the Supp Draft, or signing as a FA before the draft next year, which is against the rules anyway. We would have essentially drafted air with a pick.

exactly, and he has to declare for the draft to be drafted

controlling his rights would mean that you have to pay him while he's still in college, which is against the rules. And why would I want to buy a car that I will not be able to drive until a year later?

Obviously its a different sport but the Boston Celtics did this with Larry Bird. Drafted him in 78' and he didn't come out...so they had to wait a year.

Obviously its a different sport but the Boston Celtics did this with Larry Bird. Drafted him in 78' and he didn't come out...so they had to wait a year.

yea, but now you have to declare for the draft to become eligible and that means you forgo any further college i believe

If that were possible, it would've happened long before now. It'd probably happen every year.

Don't know if I'm reading the OP right but I know that Dallas drafted Carl Lewis in the 12th round in 84 just in case he decided to play football instead of track - the NBA also used a pick on him

If you really want him and want to improve the team you tank 2011 season, trade your 2011 picks, trade what you can to acquire more picks and load up in 2012, package and go in with a couple firsts, seconds and thirds. In two or three years you are a perennial contender.

If you really want him and want to improve the team you tank 2011 season, trade your 2011 picks, trade what you can to acquire more picks and load up in 2012, package and go in with a couple firsts, seconds and thirds. In two or three years you are a perennial contender.

I'm taking three #1's off your hands then, because you've telegraphed how desperate you are to have what I possess. Whatever the going rate is for #1 overall, you can double it. Assuming all that tanking doesn't get the #1 outright.

Tell that to the fans who come out to support the team every game...Tell that to the guys on our team and our coaches right now who work hard year round and put it on the line during the season....Hey, nevermind all that hard work you're putting in...we're gonna go into this year trying to lose every game and go through a miserable season, in hopes that ONE player can turn everything around. Who cares if you're not going to be here next year or this might be your last year in the NFL?

You don't tank an entire season.

I'm taking three #1's off your hands then, because you've telegraphed how desperate you are to have what I possess. Whatever the going rate is for #1 overall, you can double it. Assuming all that tanking doesn't get the #1 outright.

No, you end up with the #1 with a 1-15 record. You trade this years number one for a teams next years 1 and 2, possibly 3. You trade what you can, including Fletcher, to amass more picks, etc...

You go into the 2012 draft with the #1 overall plus another 1st. 2 or 3 2nds, a couple 3rds and load your team with good young talent to go around your new franchise qb. Why not do this?

Well, great news....We're still in the Luck lotto sweepstakes!!! He's staying at Stanford another year. Now, all we have to do is tank the 2011 season for our franchise QB!!!

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 12:36 PM ----------

As to the OP, I think college players have to declare for the NFL draft in order for them to be drafted. Otherwise, this would have been done a long time ago.

Tell that to the fans who come out to support the team every game...Tell that to the guys on our team and our coaches right now who work hard year round and put it on the line during the season....Hey, nevermind all that hard work you're putting in...we're gonna go into this year trying to lose every game and go through a miserable season, in hopes that ONE player can turn everything around. Who cares if you're not going to be here next year or this might be your last year in the NFL?

You don't tank an entire season.

It's called rebuilding. They are putting in hardwork and being rewarded. They are being given a chance in the NFL. You want to worry about the feelings of the players? Fine. Trade them to contenders. But at the end of the day, the team's future direction and solid footing is what is important. The Redskins team is more important to most than any single player. Those players that stick and play on the 2014 championship will look back at 2011 as a necessary step to getting their ring.

No, you end up with the #1 with a 1-15 record. You trade this years number one for a teams next years 1 and 2, possibly 3. You trade what you can, including Fletcher, to amass more picks, etc...

You go into the 2012 draft with the #1 overall plus another 1st. 2 or 3 2nds, a couple 3rds and load your team with good young talent to go around your new franchise qb. Why not do this?

Because you're assuming someone will want to play your game and give you what you want. Your trade scenarios are in a vacuum. There could be nobody in the draft some other GM thinks is worth both a 1st and 2nd.

You have to declare as a professional to be drafted.

The Elway (or was it Steve Young) thing happened because of the existance of a 2nd professional league at the time (USFL).

I think that's right.

Also don't forget Bo Jackson. He was drafted by the Bucs and refused to go there and played baseball. The Bucs lost his rights after a year and the Raiders drafted him in the mid rounds the following draft.

Luck would have to declare then refuse to sign with the Panthers and then he'd be available the following year.

Archived