Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Head fake theory: Could Andrew Luck be pulling an Eli Manning and choosing his own 2011 team?

Atlanta Skins Fan

I don't personally understand why Luck wants to go back. How do you walk away from 30-50 million (depending on rookie wage scale rules)? I'd tell Stanford to take their degree and shove it. But that's me. I don't think he's doing the right thing going back to Stanford.

HOWEVER!!! If he's truly committed to getting a degree, then I can understand (somewhat). He's majoring in Architectural Engineering. I happen to have a degree in Architectural Engineering myself. Many players who leave early have majors (Criminal Justice, Communications, etc.) that will allow them to finish those degrees after football relatively easily. They can just enroll again and pick up where they left off. Engineering is a different animal. You can't just enroll again 10 years later and pick up where you left off. There's too much. WAY too much. You don't just put down your Calculus Books, Fluid Mechanics Books, Thermodynamics Books, etc. and pick them up 10 years later. Certainly not if you've been concentrating on Football for a decade and not even thinking about engineering. You'd have to relearn all that stuff. It'd be a complete pain in the butt. So don't think that this reality doesn't factor into Luck's thinking, if he really wants that degree.

Again, I completely disagree with his decision but I do have first hand knowledge of his academic workload. It's not easy. If I were him, though, I'd take my Fluid Mechanics Book and throw it our the window of the helicopter I was riding on my way to sign my fat new 50 million dollar contract.

If that's the case, he's an idiot for going for that degree. Who wants to hire a guy who used to be an NFL QB and hasn't been practicing as an architectural engineer for a decade+? That's what I don't understand about his decision. People go to college to get a job. For normal people, the mature/responsible thing to do is finish your degree. But that's because we're not getting offered million dollar contracts for other jobs.

guys do this all the time, its not a huge deal. jake locker did the same thing last year. he was the consensus number 1 QB on the board, and decided to go back to college and pass up a bunch of cash.

Locker was a VERY different story. No way in hell would he have been taken over Bradford or even that high in the 1st. It was all hype drummed up by mediot scouts. He didn't even get a 1st round grade from the draft Advisory Committee. That is why he went back. He probably realized that the real draft was not going to be the same as the mocks all over the internet. He also probably knew he was still raw and had work to do before he was ready to go pro.

How did this guy get into Stanford? Passing up 50 mil doesn't sound very smart to me. If the girlfriend is the problem, she can drop out too and get her degree later. Also, if there's a lockout, he could be on an NFL roster and still go to Stanford since there won't be any football in the NFL. He could be getting paid 50 mil to take classes at Stanford and not play football.

None of these guys are going to be signing 50M contracts, This year or next. The rookie pay scale will be in place before any of these guys are signed.

None of these guys are going to be signing 50M contracts' date=' This year or next. The rookie pay scale will be in place before any of these guys are signed.[/quote']

And how do you know that it's going to be significantly lower? I could see them making it not increase much in the future but if last years #1 got 50M then why couldn't this years as well?

And how do you know that it's going to be significantly lower? I could see them making it not increase much in the future but if last years #1 got 50M then why couldn't this years as well?

cause thats the whole point of changing it. so rookies that end up busts or lacking significantly arent paid 50 million bones for doing jack.

I think Harbaugh is staying at Stanford, so it made Luck's decision that much easier

I agree and I think he and Luck are committed to sticking it out; most likely in college and the NFL. Harbaugh is probably (wisely) just increasing his market value with Stanford this year by interviewing. If they both come out as National Champs next year then market value for both will increase. But it's a gamble. Cause you never know.

I agree and I think he and Luck are committed to sticking it out; most likely in college and the NFL. Harbaugh is probably (wisely) just increasing his market value with Stanford this year by interviewing. If they both come out as National Champs next year then market value for both will increase. But it's a gamble. Cause you never know.

Wrong

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5999744

cause thats the whole point of changing it. so rookies that end up busts or lacking significantly arent paid 50 million bones for doing jack.

Right but if he's good then he should still potentially get a **** load of money. I think it's just not totally screwing the team over for an overrated scrub.

Even aside from Harbaugh taking the '9ers job, this theory makes plenty of sense. When most players announce that they're coming back for their senior season, don't they normally talk about coming back to play FOOTBALL? I recall when Tebow announced he was coming back to Florida after winning a national championship, he said, "Let's do it again. I'm coming back!" He didn't say, "I'm coming back to complete my degree."

The fact that Luck mentioned his archetectural design degree instead of mentioning Stanford Cardinal football strikes me as weird. After all, you can play NFL football AND get your degree.

It's an interesting and very plausible conspiracy theory. However, it's also possible that he'd simply rather play anywhere BUT Carolina and is willing to roll the dice and see where he winds up next year.

Heres my conspiracy theory its probably way off but hear me out. So Luck announces he's staying in school opening the door for the Panthers to trade the #1 pick. The 49ers make a deal to acquire the #1 overall pick after the deal is done Luck changes his mind and declares for the draft reuniting him with Harbaugh in Sanfran....its the perfect plan LOL.

Heres my conspiracy theory its probably way off but hear me out. So Luck announces he's staying in school opening the door for the Panthers to trade the #1 pick. The 49ers make a deal to acquire the #1 overall pick after the deal is done Luck changes his mind and declares for the draft reuniting him with Harbaugh in Sanfran....its the perfect plan LOL.

Isn't that the same thing the OP said when he started the thread? LOL

No link, but saw a blurb last night from Clayton that Luck intends to stay in spite of Harbaughs departure. I guess we'll know in a week. I believe the deadline for declaring is 01/15.

EDIT:

Link added

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6000129

That's his father talking. He's the designated party line. The big lie.

It's actually not a lie, in the sense that it's the truth until the situation changes. When the 49ers own the first pick in the 2011 draft, it's a whole different world.

The big lie supports the bid by the 49ers to trade for the first pick in the draft. Of course Carolina can't be so stupid to do that trade and not know what's going on. But, the big lie helps bring Carolina to the table, by making clear that even with Harbaugh leaving Stanford, Andrew Luck still won't allow himself to be drafted by Carolina in 2011. He's giving Carolina the middle finger. That's what's going on.

So, at the table, the 49ers tell Carolina that Andrew Luck will never play for Carolina, even if he's drafted by Carolina in the 2012 draft. Face reality. You're never getting him. So, take the deal on the table. That deal is the 49ers #1 picks in 2011 and 2012 drafts, plus Carolina's choice of any 49er QB. Deadline for deal is January 15.

I just posed this dilemma to my wife and asked what she'd do in Carolina's position. She said she'd turn down the deal.

I said, "How do you turn down that deal? You're never getting Andrew Luck. The only way you turn down the deal is for spite."

"That's right. For spite. I turn it down for spite."

So, if Carolina turns down the deal, it's for spite, and we never hear about this at all. It's all being played out behind the scenes, and the only person talking is Andrew Luck's father, pumping the big lie.

---------- Post added January-8th-2011 at 12:33 PM ----------

One more thing. As far as I know, nothing stops Andrew Luck from being drafted by an NFL team (say, the 49ers) in 2011, while he continues on his path to complete his Stanford degree in 2012. Being drafted by an NFL team and being paid by an NFL team obviously prevents Luck from playing QB for an NCAA team. But, why can't he continue his coursework? Even full time?

The first answer ("Because he'd have to spend all his time with the NFL team, you idiot") is true only for normal situations. Luck is good enough to command his own terms. Why not say to the 49ers, "I need a contract that allows me to participate in your 2011 training camp ..." (if held at all due to CBA / lockout) "... and allows me to take classes in the fall and spring semesters as I originally planned. Obviously this would make me unavailable for your 2011 schedule."

This is essentially what happens to a player injured in training camp and put on IR for the year. So, it's no big deal. Player gets paid not to play or even show up at the facility. The only difference is that it's a planned event, not the outcome of injury.

Now, the NFL paralegals on this site will jump in and explain to me why this proposal won't work for various reporting / roster reasons. OK, legal beagles. Draft a contract that has no reporting / roster requirements at all for 2011, and simply gives him a big signing bonus for 2011, while retaining rights for 2012.

Anything that two parties want to work out in contract can be done. Sometimes these ideas and contracts are new.

Archived