Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Reviewing The Conventional Wisdom On Mike Shanahan's Drafts

MustangSteve

As the Cowboys prepare for an afternoon press conference, presumably to announce Jason Garrett as their new head coach, one of the columnists at the Dallas Morning News has already started gloating about how pleased he is that the team won't be able to hire Mike Shanahan.

"It was on this day one year ago that the Cowboys were saved from making a mistake that would have sent the franchise reeling into the dark ages," Gerry Fraley writes. "They will get a second chance with Garrett. This day marks the first anniversary of the Washington Redskins hiring its latest celebrity coach: Mike Shanahan."

Fraley is entitled to his opinion, of course; to no one's surprise I disagree with his basic thesis. The whole basis of this column -- Thank goodness our rivals saved us from ourselves! -- is just a sports columnist being a sports columnist, and not something that I would usually bother to mention. But one of Fraley's anti-Shanhan arguments really jumped out at me:

After the season-ending loss, Shanahan talked about "a good draft" helping the Redskins return to contention. Check Shanahan's draft history with Denver. If the Redskins have a good draft, it will be Shanahan's first in a while.

Fraley is far from the first person to make this assertion -- and it drives me crazy every time -- but the specific phrasing here, the "first in a while" bit ... that makes this occurence particularly galling.

See, here's the thing: Shanahan's drafts aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be, and, if anything, they seemed to get better as he accrued more experience. They say you can't really judge a draft class until three seasons in, which (by coincidence) is how long it's been since Shanahan's 2008 draft in Denver. Fraley says Shanahan's next good draft will be his "first in a while"; I say we don't even have to look farther back than that draft, Shanahan's last before coming to Washington. So instead of relying on the conventional wisdom that Shanhan's drafts are terrible, let's actually look at those picks:

Click link for rest http://blog.redskins.com/2011/01/06/reviewing-the-conventional-wisdom-on-mike-shanahans-drafts/

Damn, well if his drafts here are anything like his last one in Denver he will pick up some great players. It's just that his other drafts weren't so hot. I did notice he drafted Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall in order that one year too so maybe he just has a problem drafting defensive players.

Interesting perspective. Shanny often gets a knock on his draft capabilities, but some of that is unfair. I thkn the re knock can be on some of his personel management and Some of the free agents he signs. I recall his last couple of years in Denver making some poor moves through FA to upgrade the defensive side of the ball. Things like bringing in virtually the entire Cleveland Browns defensive line which needed a lot more than coaching up.

I think he is a fairly good evaluator of talent. And I think he and Allen will do well in their 2nd draft together. Their 1st for the Skins hasn't been too bad so far: Trent, Banks, Riley, Keiland...... Not all probowlers but solid.

That was a very interesting read. Was that report, the PFW one, ever posted on this site last Spring?

Interesting that NE has drafted poorly. I have always said, once Brady leaves they are done. Have to give credit to their coaching staff as well.

Also interesting that the NYG sit atop the draft. They have an inconsistent QB. When he put things together and had a nice run they win the SB.

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 07:57 AM ----------

Also, it only takes one draft to be successful. Draft a HOF/Franchise QB and you are set.

Looks as though this report is skewed by looking at players "on the roster." Does this mean guys like Brandon Marshall, Ryan Torain, and Peyton Hillis don't count toward the Bronco's total? Just because a new administration makes bone headed personnel moves (that may ultimately lead to that administration's demise) should the prior administration be held accountable? Another instance of skewing stats to say what you want. Writer obviously wants Shanahan to look less draft worthy because he is gone.

Archived