Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HP: O'Reilly: God Causes The Tides, Not The Moon

@SkinsGoldPants

This had me cracking up.

O'Reilly: God Causes The Tides, Not The Moon (VIDEO)

The Huffington Post | Nicholas Graham

First Posted: 01- 6-11 12:52 PM | Updated: 01- 6-11 01:40 PM

s-BILL-OREILLY-TIDES-large.jpg

David Silverman, president of the American Atheist Group, went on Tuesday's "O'Reilly Factor" to defend the billboard ads his group has put up around the country calling religion a scam.

O'Reilly began by telling Silverman that his organization is insulting religious people, an accusation Silverman denied, insisting that his message was simply the truth so how could it be offensive. The conversation then took a strange turn as the host played what he believed to be his trump card of the why God exists debate.

O'REILLY: I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam, in my opinion: tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that. SILVERMAN: Tide goes in, tide goes out?

O'REILLY: See, the water, the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always comes in, and always goes out.
You can't explain that.

In fact, science has a very good explanation for the tides occur on such a regular basis:

Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun and the rotation of the Earth. Most places in the ocean usually experience two high tides and two low tides each day (semidiurnal tide), but some locations experience only one high and one low tide each day (diurnal tide). The times and amplitude of the tides at the coast are influenced by the alignment of the Sun and Moon, by the pattern of tides in the deep ocean (see figure 4) and by the shape of the coastline and near-shore bathymetry.

To which O'Reilly would no doubt reply: but where does gravity come from!

WATCH: (via TOWELROAD)

Everyone knows it is from the moon. That there's an article disputing O'reilly's small statement kinda makes Nicholas Graham look dumber to assume that O'reilly doesn't know this stuff and needs an explanation.

I would assume O'Reilly's talking more about the power and scale of the events, and all the little things that must happen to make the tides occur. I often hear people dispute that there is a God because they believe that something as great as the universe couldn't be created by accident, and the odds of creating a place like earth from random events is hard to comprehend and accept.

The guy was kind of a douchebag, actually.

I tend to find many atheists to be that way. They say you cannot prove there is a God you are an idiot for thinking there is one but then you can't prove that there isn't one either. Why is being so sure that there is one worse than being so sure that there isn't? I never god that.

I tend to find many atheists to be that way. They say you cannot prove there is a God you are an idiot for thinking there is one but then you can't prove that there isn't one either. Why is being so sure that there is one worse than being so sure that there isn't? I never god that.

I think people find atheists confidence on the subject annoying, because they feel so strongly the opposite. But it's kinda funny how religious people are the ones who are mad at people pushing their beliefs on them, when their religion probably does it on a massive scale.

I think people find atheists confidence on the subject annoying, because they feel so strongly the opposite. But it's kinda funny how religious people are the ones who are mad at people pushing their beliefs on them, when their religion probably does it on a massive scale.

Oh no I do not like it either way I think people should be left alone to their own beliefs and I don't like either side doing it. The reason I made this comment was in response to the poster who said that the guy seemed like a douche, and to me he does too. His whole posting these signs and billboards to me is dumb and pointless and does nothing to further the debate. I have found many atheists to be like this guy but I am sure many religious people are the same.

What is God? God did this, and God did that... we speak of God as if it were a being of some sort. Is God really a single being with domain over the entire universe? And God has this little experiment on earth underway, with people and trees and oceans and tides and Bill O'Reilly? What is God?

If you believe God caused everything, then yes, God caused the tides. The moon is just the mechanism... I think that's what O'Reilly is saying.

Well, if that's what he's saying and if he thinks that his argument is definitive proof then he seriously needs to figure out what qualifies as definitive proof. What a doofus...O'Reilly stick to the politics because you're bad at theological apologetics.

Well, if that's what he's saying and if he thinks that his argument is definitive proof then he seriously needs to figure out what qualifies as definitive proof. What a doofus...O'Reilly stick to the politics because you're bad at theological apologetics.

In the video it was a very poor attempt at the Watchmakers Analogy.

LOL there are a million things O'Reilly could have said to show that certain things on earth cannot be explained and God must be the reason why, but tides is not one of them hahahaha
Anyone that knows anything about tides would know that tides around the world actually vary wildly. In most places there are two high tides and two low tides a day, but sometimes those can be very different in size. And there are some places where there is only one high tide and one low tide a day. Some places have huge variations between high and low tide while others have a very small difference. If you're looking for an intelligently designed system, tides are not it.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/tides/tides07_cycles.html

I can't prove 100% that unicorns don't exist, and, since no evidence exists, nobody can prove that they exist. However, I can still say with some degree of confidence that unicorns don't exist.

Atheists like me believe that belief in God is analogous. Whether or not the question of the existence of God is similar to the existence of unicorns is the major source of debate.

Archived