Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

deseretnews.com: Utah's $1.5 billion cyber-security center under way

Thiebear

I know people get on me about the little things.. 100million here, 1billion there, but the below is what frosts my ass.... How many foreclosures do we have.. empty buildings everywhere, Military Bases with 17,000 square acres of space. No, we have to spend 1.5 billion on a "NEW" build.. Just like the 200 million for the New courthouse... and it has to be made of a particular Marble.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705363940/Utahs-15-billion-cyber-security-center-under-way.html

CAMP WILLIAMS — Today's groundbreaking for a $1.5 billion National Security Administration data center is being billed as important in the short term for construction jobs and important in the long term for Utah's reputation as a technology center.

"This will bring 5,000 to 10,000 new jobs during its construction and development phase," Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said on Wednesday. "Once completed, it will support 100 to 200 permanent high-paid employees."

Thats 100,000 dollars per person if we use the maximum 10k? Great idea.

The 100 to 200 "high paid employees" would still be there if they just rennovated a foreclosed property...

Set the example.

Maybe they can rehire some of the fireman and police the city councils threaten to fire every budget year if we don't agree to higher property taxes?

/rant

I know people get on me about the little things.. 100million here, 1billion there, but the below is what frosts my ass.... How many foreclosures do we have.. empty buildings everywhere, Military Bases with 17,000 square acres of space. No, we have to spend 1.5 billion on a "NEW" build.. Just like the 200 million for the New courthouse... and it has to be made of a particular Marble.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705363940/Utahs-15-billion-cyber-security-center-under-way.html

Thats 100,000 dollars per person if we use the maximum 10k? Great idea.

The 100 to 200 "high paid employees" would still be there if they just rennovated a foreclosed property...

Set the example.

Maybe they can rehire some of the fireman and police the city councils threaten to fire every budget year if we don't agree to higher property taxes?

/rant

Don't look at it like a data center. Look at it like a 21st century fortress. We've got a new combatant command headed up by a four star general in charge of cyber command to protect the country's infrastructure from sabatoge. Given China's, and Russia's demonstrated capabilities, it's none too soon too.

Stated another way if Iran had modern data centers; maybe the stuxs virus wouldn't have devistated their nuclear program and caused them to reformate and in stall tens of thousands of computers and PLU's.

Why not use the Vice President Bunker in Pennsylvania they can't use anymore because it was "outed"?

Billions spent on that....

That's funny. I can tell you about the congressional Bunker. It was outed to the press in the mid 1990's underneeth the five star luxury hotel in west virginia known as the Greenbriar.

While the hotel was still running the federal government installed a complex of about two football fields underneath it beginning in the 1950's under the Eisenhower administration. This complex is capable of housing more than 1000 legislators and support staff and includes conference rooms, television studeo, autonomous power station, and advanced communications systems ( fiber optics completely redone in the 1990's). When Ike layed out the federal highway system he changed the path of route 60 in order to bring it closer to this complex, in order to make the egress from Washington easier.

Only because of security issues with federal accounting the federal government doesn't own the complex. The Railway company which owned the Green Briar retained ownership of the complex which the federal government built, maintained, and operated for nearly 40 years.. After it was leaked in a Washinton Post article entitled "Congress's last Resort: in the mid 1990's, a data center was built into that facility; only it's a private data center run by the Railway company CGX. The federal government just cleared out after it's cover was ruined and today you can even take tours of the facility.

Archived