Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Orakpo on injury: "It's a bad situation"

SWFLSkins

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?341810-WP-RI-Orakpo-on-injury-quot-It-s-a-bad-situation-quot

Redskins outside linebacker Brian Orakpo is concerned he could miss the final two games of the season after suffering groin and hamstring injuries while in pass coverage in the second quarter of Washington's 33-30 loss Sunday at Dallas.

Sounds like he may miss the last two games. Bummer, I was hoping he was going to finish strong.

IR him immediately.

A rising star who's being played out of position, we cannot afford to have him injured even more.

Totally agree. Pack it in. The risk of having a major knee injury on a freak play in a situation where the team is going no where is just not worth it.

Have you seen him in coverage?

He's a great pass rushing DE in the 4-3.

In space he's lost.

Yep - agree. He was burned in coverage against the RB today - never looked back, and had no idea where the ball was. He's a great addition to this team, but he's better suited to be on the outside of the 4-3.

Yep - agree. He was burned in coverage against the RB today - never looked back, and had no idea where the ball was. He's a great addition to this team, but he's better suited to be on the outside of the 4-3.

He isn't a great man coverage LB, not man are. But he's much better in Zone then he was last year and better then what people give him credit for.

His coverage also wasn't as bad as you think on that trick play. No one was ready for it and he did his best, can you blame him? No one was ready for it.

Have you seen him in coverage?

He's a great pass rushing DE in the 4-3.

In space he's lost.

Aside from Fletcher, NONE of our LBs look good in coverage. Ever consider that our complete inability to generate quick pressure is a major contributing factor?

To me the idea that Orakpo is playing out of position is altogether laughable. He is equally (in)effective rushing the passer from a stand-up position as he is with a hand in the dirt and, while his spatial awareness is not exceptional, he certainly possesses the raw athleticism necessary to be more than adequate in his coverage responsibilities as an OLB.

I'm still hoping Shanny realizes his mistake and Haslett is jettisoned after this year and we move back to a 4-3.

Shanny has a resume to give him a few years to try and work it out. We thought Jim Zorn was the up and coming younger coach who would turn into a star (and boy were we wrong).

Haslett is neither. His resume is exceptionally underwhelming both as a HC, DC and position coach and he's not young.

Think he'd be good trade bait?

No, not yet.

He's young, strong, athletic and a hard worker.

He can learn to play in the 3-4 or we can (hopefully) give up on this stupid experiment.

The 3-4 was built around Orakpo I think it would be crazy to trade him away.

Built around him? Hardly. He cannot cover a TE/RB and has trouble tackling in space.

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 08:28 PM ----------

Aside from Fletcher, NONE of our LBs look good in coverage. Ever consider that our complete inability to generate quick pressure is a major contributing factor?

To me the idea that Orakpo is playing out of position is altogether laughable. He is equally (in)effective rushing the passer from a stand-up position as he is with a hand in the dirt and, while his spacial awareness is not exceptional, he certainly possesses the raw athleticism necessary to be more than adequate in his coverage responsibilities as an OLB.

How can you suggest that he's not a good pass rusher with his hand in the dirt in the 4-3? Did you see him in college? Did you watch last year?

Blessing in disguise. We KNOW he's a piece for the future, so keep looking at other players. I was impressed with Riley today (though I don't know if he was playing outside or inside). I'd like to watch Wilson, Riley, Jarmon, Barnes, and Harris on D for the last two games.

Agreed.

Here's a question: I noticed Riley on the field with Fletcher. Was Rocky banged up, or did Riley actually steal some of his snaps? That could be a big deal, and an indicator of whether or not we're letting Rocky walk. I think we are.

And also agreed on the young guys. I was disappointed to see that Harris was inactive today.

How can you suggest that he's not a good pass rusher with his hand in the dirt in the 4-3? Did you see him in college? Did you watch last year?

I didn't actually say he wasn't a good pass rusher from any starting stance. I just don't see any significant difference in his ability to rush the passer as an edge rusher in either the 4-3 or 3-4.

Agreed.

Here's a question: I noticed Riley on the field with Fletcher. Was Rocky banged up, or did Riley actually steal some of his snaps? That could be a big deal, and an indicator of whether or not we're letting Rocky walk. I think we are.

And also agreed on the young guys. I was disappointed to see that Harris was inactive today.

Blades was also out there on a few plays. My guess is that Rocky was banged up... but he may actually be our least effective ILB at this point, anyway.

I didn't actually say he wasn't a good pass rusher from any starting stance. I just don't see any significant difference in his ability to rush the passer as an edge rusher in either the 4-3 or 3-4.

He's looked better with his hand in the dirt I believe. Certainly this 3-4 has been abysmal and the lack of overall defensive pressure on the QB has hurt his play but I think he just looked more comfortable and natural in the 4-3. We didn't see him get headlocked and tackled by tackles as much last year :ols:

Archived