Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strange but true

Guest The Angry Buddha

Guest The Angry Buddha

From today's Indy Star. I can't imagine a more unlikely position for ol' Ryp, except maybe punt returner...

Rypien, the receiver

At one point in 11-on-11 drills Wednesday, backup quarterback Mark Rypien found himself playing wide receiver on the scout offense to simulate a play the Colts defense might see from the Jets. On rare occasions close to the goal line, New York flanks quarterback Vinny Testaverde out as a receiver.

"I've played everything at one time in my life," said Rypien, 39 and in his 13th NFL season.

"Maybe I'll be the Jim Jenson of the 2000 decade."

Jenson was a versatile member of the Miami Dolphins from 1981-92 who saw action at quarterback, wide receiver and running back.

Mora joked that the 6-4, 225-pound Rypien might be a viable option if injuries continue to plague the team's wide receiver position.

"I tell you, he'd be a big target," Mora said. "Maybe we can extend his career a few more years.

"Or shorten it."

Rypien should have gotten some playing time when Manning was in his funk a few weeks ago. Not a long time but maybe a half or so to allow Peyton to calm down. Mora made a mistake by not realizing that.

Now, Peyton seems to be okay after his performance Sunday against Atlanta, but the Colts are now out of contention.

Rypien is a funny guy. Who thought he would be in the league at 39?

He was taken in the 6th round of the 1986 draft. Amazing.

Archived