Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I have no doubts in Spurrier, but what if?...NOT A BASH THREAD!!!!

Thinking Skins

We have a lot of doubters on this board talking about how sorry we'll be because of this reason or that reason. I'm thinking of the worse possible scenario, which is that we have an offense like Tampa had a few years ago (or even last year) or the Ravens a few years back.

Remember that guy Billick, the 'offensive genius', who won the Superbowl with defense. Why can't SS be the same way? Its a given that we had a top ten defense last year. But (and I know that I may stir an argument with Art) our liability last year was against the run. We were like 21st in that category. If we can put up a good defense this year, I see no reason why that alone won't take us to the playoffs, regardless of how well Patrick Ramsey and our offense do.

So now the question becomes will we have a good defense this year. No doubt, the doubters will say that we dont have the DL to be that good of a defense. I disagree. We've seen our defense play three games this preseason, not counting game 4.

In game 1, we ALWAYS had players in position to make the gains minimal if any at all. The problem was that guys weren't tackling.

In game 2, we had two bad drives with our defense, and then we completely shut out the NE offense til the reserves came in. And yes, this NE offense consisted of the starters (contrary to what the sports reporters said).

In game 3, we completely shut out the ravens offense and they got like 10 yards rushing in the first half.

So I see three games where our defense was in position to be dominant, the last of which it actually was dominant. So why is it hard to believe us having a defense that can win some games for us?

To me its not, and it shouldn't be to you either.

Just My Thoughts....

What happens is what happens at this point, all I can do is hope for the best and try not to get so negative before the skins have played a game that actually COUNTS. F the preseason. One thing we learned last year is that the preseason means sh!t. Fact is, the skins are as talented of a unit as they probably ever have been. There has and with good reason concern about Ramsey, but I think as the year goes on, we will see him develop into our Long Term answer at QB. Are we going to struggle at times? Sure, but virtually every team does. In my heart, I really don't think we will know how good this team is until the Bye week. And for all the doubters, I just look back to the Gibbs day when we at times looked like piss during preason, and suddenly turned it on once the reagular season started. Or how young low experience QB's like Brady and Vick lead their teams to Super Bowls or playoff games.....lets atleast hope for the best at this point, thats all we can do.

Of course Vick has the playmaker ability that Ramsey has not shown.....YET.

Very true, but really the QB position comes down to exacution, and Ramsey has the tools and skills to exacute this system (maybe he can't run like Vick, but he has as strong an arm as anyone), its just a matter of doing it......maybe it doesn't happen opening night, but I really believe we will see him develop into this kind of passer.

i really think the problem last year was the players. guys were open constantly last year and i saw more wide open catches last year with spurrier than with our other offensive "genius" turner.

btw billick needs to give up the offensive genius title b/c the ravens have no sense of an explosive offense in terms of scheme or players. now billick is a good coach and i'm always amused how he talks of football as if he's speaking of a major corporation, but his defensive coaches and scouts are the bread and butter of the team.

Originally posted by The Wicked Wop

What happens is what happens at this point, all I can do is hope for the best and try not to get so negative before the skins have played a game that actually COUNTS. F the preseason. One thing we learned last year is that the preseason means sh!t. Fact is, the skins are as talented of a unit as they probably ever have been. There has and with good reason concern about Ramsey, but I think as the year goes on, we will see him develop into our Long Term answer at QB. Are we going to struggle at times? Sure, but virtually every team does. In my heart, I really don't think we will know how good this team is until the Bye week. And for all the doubters, I just look back to the Gibbs day when we at times looked like piss during preason, and suddenly turned it on once the reagular season started. Or how young low experience QB's like Brady and Vick lead their teams to Super Bowls or playoff games.....lets atleast hope for the best at this point, thats all we can do.

I like it. That's the best attitude to have at this point. Relax. Enjoy the Ramsey ride. And hope for the best. :)

Archived