Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NEWSDAY: Westhoff Still Can’t Get Over Losing Morton to ’Skins

bubba9497

Westhoff Still Can’t Get Over Losing Morton to ’Skins

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jnotes023438475sep02,0,2519162.story?coll=ny-sports-print

Ken Berger; Jason Butler contributed to this notebook.

September 2, 2003

Mike Westhoff is not angry with Chad Morton. But is he still livid about losing the star kickoff returner he groomed last season? You'd better believe it.

"It's just frustrating," the Jets' special-teams coach said yesterday. "How long will it take me to get over it? Until they bury me. Hopefully, that won't be anytime soon, or never.

"I don't like losing people, but I understand it. I know things happen, and I don't affix blame."

Westhoff was calmer yesterday than he was when he crossed paths with Redskins coach Steve Spurrier at a Miami restaurant in March. The Redskins already had signed John Hall and Randy Thomas and were negotiating with Laveranues Coles.

"I made a comment to him, something about taking our players, I forget exactly," Westhoff said.

"He made a comment about doing that very thing, and that they were going to get another one, another guy ... He mentioned Chad to me.

"Really, it was just one of those type of comments, but I guess it was the fact that he made it so confidently. Why would I like it? I wouldn't like it."

Business, Not Personal, Huh?

Redskins coach Steve Spurrier was in full-fledged spin mode yesterday when he denied there was anything behind the team's decision to sign four free agents away from the Jets. "They just happened to have free-agent players that we needed," Spurrier said.

Nonetheless, the Redskins still are getting a kick out of rubbing it in. Parking passes for Thursday's game that were mailed to the Jets' complex for visiting media featured a photo of former Jet Laveranues Coles. A Jets official had no comment.

Jet Streams

A Jets official confirmed there are no plans to add a free-agent safety. The team is likely to claim a mid-level backup offensive tackle off the waiver wire today ... The Jets formed their five-man practice squad: LB Mark Brown, RBs Little John Flowers and Johnathan Reese, G Brandon Moore and WR Cecil Moore ... G-C J.P. Machado was released and re-signed to save salary-cap room ... Steve Spurrier on the possibility that with only two QBs on the roster, WRs Laveranues Coles or Rod Gardner could be pressed into quarterback duty: "Sometimes, the way our offense has run this preseason, that might be better."

Jason Butler contributed to this notebook. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Archived