Extremeskins

WP: Hamdan Is Back in QB Fold

bubba9497

Hamdan Is Back in QB Fold

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 2, 2003; Page D03

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10671-2003Sep1.html

The Washington Redskins signed rookie quarterback Gibran Hamdan to their five-member practice squad yesterday after he cleared waivers.

Hamdan participated in yesterday's practice at Redskins Park and is the club's third-string quarterback, although he won't suit up on game days. The Redskins decided over the weekend to keep only two quarterbacks, starter Patrick Ramsey and veteran backup Rob Johnson, on their 53-man roster entering the regular season.

"It's an interesting situation," Hamdan said. "Obviously the team feels it's best that way, keeping a roster spot open for another position. My goal is to just go out and work as hard as I can, as if I was on the roster. I'm fortunate to still be around and still be playing football for a living."

Two other teams, the San Diego Chargers and Buffalo Bills, enter the season with only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. The Atlanta Falcons have three quarterbacks but one, starter Michael Vick, is sidelined by a broken leg.

The Redskins released Hamdan, a Bishop O'Connell High School product who was the team's seventh-round draft choice in April out of Indiana University, and fellow quarterback Danny Wuerffel in the final round of roster cuts.

"I don't know much about this league, but the one thing I've learned is that you never really know," Hamdan said. "Obviously it benefits the team and the front office. . . . I still feel like I'm a member of the team."

While on the practice squad, Hamdan can participate in practices but not in games. Another team could claim Hamdan off the practice squad but would have to be willing to put him on its 53-man roster. Under those circumstances, the Redskins would have the option of letting Hamdan go or promoting him to the roster.

If Ramsey and Johnson get hurt during a game, the Redskins would have to find an emergency quarterback to finish the game, then could promote Hamdan to the roster during the week. And Wuerffel remains only a phone call away. He cleared waivers yesterday, and it appears unlikely that he will be signed by another club.

Ramsey said, "I'm out here to play and play well and go the distance, so hopefully it will never be an issue."

The Redskins also re-signed wide receiver Scott Cloman, rookie tight end Kevin Ware, rookie linebacker Clifton Smith and rookie defensive lineman Nic Clemons to the practice squad. All but Cloman, who was scheduled to arrive in town last night, participated in yesterday's practice.

Jacobs Will Miss Jets Game

Rookie wide receiver Taylor Jacobs is scheduled to be released from the hospital today, Redskins officials said. Jacobs has been hospitalized since Friday night because of abdominal trauma and bruising resulting from an injury in the Redskins' final preseason game. Jacobs will miss Thursday night's regular season opener against the New York Jets at FedEx Field but the Redskins are hopeful he will play 10 days later in Atlanta. . . . Running back Kenny Watson, who was released in the Redskins' final cuts, cleared waivers, making him a free agent. . . .

Jets Coach Herman Edwards said he holds no grudges against the Redskins for signing four of his players -- wide receiver Laveranues Coles, guard Randy Thomas, kick returner Chad Morton and place kicker John Hall -- as free agents in the offseason.

"Heavens no," Edwards said in a conference call with Washington area reporters. "I don't hold grudges against people. The Redskins did nothing wrong. They went after good players. We happened to have four of them, and they got them. And that's good for them." . . .

Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington said that, of the four former Jets, Thomas is the most outwardly excited to face his former club.

"I know Randy feels it," Arrington said. "Whether Laveranues or Chad or J. Hall feels it, I'm not sure. They haven't been very vocal about it. But I know Randy is feeling pretty excited. . . . I think his mind-set is really set. His mind-set is to go dominate the Jets. I really believe that's how he feels. It just so happens that we're playing his team the first game. He'll probably be that way for every team. But I can see he wants to have a good showing against the Jets."

Archived