Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My theory on Champ Bailey

fuji869

:2cents:

Champ Bailey is arguably the best CB in the NFL right now. He is entering his his 5th NFL Season with only 1 Playoff Season, that was in his rookie season.

With all the changes with the Redskins @ head coach (who knows thre could be more) and in the locker room, I think Champ is waiting to see how the Skins do this season. If they are a contender or show signs of being one he will stay, but if it is a disaster season and the Redskins miss the playoffs with out making a realistic run for a wild card spot, he will want out of D.C. He does not want to be know as a great CB that was on a team that could not make the playoff.

We love our Redskins and may view them through Burgundy and Gold Colored Glasses but the team does have a lot of questions marks for the 2003 season.

It seemed the only silver lining to releasing Big Daddy was that cash would be freed up to extend Champ. But since the season is less than a week away, and it's tough to sign players mid-season, this silver lining could start to tarnish. Maybe an Arrington extension could capitalize on this cap space, but either way, if you thought BDW's release looked questionable in spite of the cap space it generated, how would it look if that cap space went wasted? Snyder's obviously aware of this dilemma, but who would know by looking at hiss "take it or leave it" attitude toward Bailey?

Thats funny Flow, I've been thinking about precisely that for awhile. If champ wants to wait until the end of the season, we still have a hefty amount of cap room. We could restructure Arrington's contract, or perhaps attempt to get Smoot/Gardner to sign extensions. Either way, I'm not particularly missing Big Daddy.

Depending on how you look at it releasing Wilkinson can serve two purposes. Either to sign Bailey to an extension or to have the necessary cap room to put the franchise tag on him come offseason.

The one thing I am really concerned about is Philadelphia finally putting their cap space to use and signing Bailey to an outrageous contract we couldn't possibly match.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

I think Champ would take a little less to stay in D.C. One thing to consider... very rarely does a negotiation get settled after the first offer.

True, but to negotiate you have to actually make a counter-offer. And I see absolutely zero evidence to suggest he'd consider taking less money....

Just to clarify I was happy with the BDW cut, basically because he was overpaid and he sucked. Having more cap space was a bonus. Seriously, I think our offseason pickups will be a lot more productive than BDW and his 12 tackles. Bailey is going to get a great offer from the Skins(already has) however if doesn't like it and wants more money, then it is out of the FO's hands. He will get tagged, and I suppose we will have more money for Lavar's extension.

Originally posted by cowboykilla

I respectfully disagree with ya Fuji.

Champs in it for the money. He's said so. He said he wants to be compensated for being the best corner in the league. If the Cardinals offered him significantly more than our 55 million offer, he'd be ghost.

Maybe Champ can do a re-make of Deion Sanders one Rap hit (if you even call it a hit) "Must be the Money" :laugh:

:dj:

Archived