Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Difference of Perceptions

scottb

After participating on the extremeskins site for the last several years, you can tell there is a wide difference of perceptions between the forum membership over the ownership, coaching, and direction of the Redskins. While reading Redskinsfaithful tirade and the thread’s responses over whether this franchise is the laughingstock of the NFL, I noticed he was only 22 years old....too young to have personally witnessed and reveled in the glory years of the burgundy and gold. I felt sad for him and all the Redskin fans that are young to the NFL.

When I was 22 (30 years ago), I clearly remember desperately hoping that in my lifetime Washington would win a Superbowl. I knew they had won 2 NFL championships before I was born. A fact that did provide me historical interest and pride, but hardly satisfied my intense desire to personally experience a magical season complete with the Lombardi trophy (and associated bragging rights). Yea I enjoyed the Sonny years during my teens and was thrilled by the success of George Allen. But by the time Gibbs had come along, I was ready, oh so ready, for a winner. For up to that point, I found myself rooting against Dallas with the same passion I cheered on the Skins....a pathetic compensation for the lack Redskin wins. That was hardly fulfilling since the Skins sucked and Dallas already had two SB wins and perennially made the playoffs.

Gibbs (and Cooke) changed all that. For over a decade, it was wonderful to a Skins fan. Three superbowl wins were more than I had hoped for. Twenty years later from whence the era began, I get to watch my new DVD’s (thanks Diehard and Blade) and recapture those moments. But the new guys can’t. They have only known the crap years. The recent season records may have been better than those in the 60’s, but the teams weren’t as fun to watch. More importantly, these guys don’t have any successful Redskin memories to temper their frustrations. Boy, this has been a long-winded romp down memory lane just to say we should cut these “younguns” some slack. They see the franchise through different eyes. My 22 year old self would be a lot more pissed than I am if he were a fan today.

Nice post, scottb. I believe I am your age so I can sure identify with what you're saying.

The crummy teams, record-wise, of the 1960s at least featured some exciting offensive players (Sonny J., Charley Taylor, Jerry Smith and others). The past decade has not only been fruitless in terms of building a winner...it's been boring.

I'd rather go 5-11 and see plenty of gimmicks, going for it on 4th down, fake punts (I guess you could argue that with Barker, most of our punts are fake) and throwing the bomb frequently as opposed to this endless string of medocrity.

Of couse, the best of all worlds is to build a true championship team and many of our young fans haven't experienced that either.

It was a real joy to watch our franchise grow as Lombardi came in and discarded that 'loser' mentality that holds so many teams back. And then to have George Allen make us a team to be feared was a real joy. But it took Gibbs to get us to the top of the mountain and I'm glad I got to see it.

I think the manner in which we approach team building is at the heart of the trouble, but I may be proven wrong this year. There's more than one path to the top of the mountain. It's just the constant 'plug a hole with a vet' mentality just seems to keep us on a treadmill. We don't get anywhere, no matter who we bring in and we can't even develop our own brand of football. What does Redskin ball mean these day? An exciting passing attack? A bludgeoning running game? Or too many men on the field?

It's time to bring the fun back.

TC, from many of your earlier posts I could tell we grew up in the same backyard. I consider us the lucky ones. In addition to the Skin’s successes, we also witnessed an NBA title in 78 (I think)...something that may NEVER happen again. We also had the Senators (Frank Howard anyone?). Yeah, they were pathetic, but they were ours. When they left, I gave up MLB except for rooting for Cal Ripkin.

We were lucky to have Cooke who cared about winning when the cap didn't hamper putting a team together. I also believe Snyder is a good owner. He still needs to learn, but nothing replaces the desire to win....and he will do anything (including changing his ways if he has to) in order for the Redskins succeed . At some point, they will be back on top of the mountain.

Good post Scottb. I'm not too much younger than you and TC.

Like you, I cherish my memories. What bothers me is how many

see the upcoming season as half-empty vs half-full! For a fan

or a team to be predicting doom and gloom means half the battle is lost. A positive attitude can make a difference.

My father has always said, "its not your longitude or latitude, but your attitude that will determine your success."

Boy, those were some great memories, scottb. I remember listening to Senator games on the radio as a little kid (for some reason, when you're little, it's o.k. if your heroes suck). Ol' Hondo launched some, didn't he? Of course, he might swing on a throw over to first base, too.

My brother was a fan of the old (real) Colts and his team was always winning. All I had was Sonny's statistical excesses to brag on. But today he is embittered (still) over the Irsay's betrayal of one of the grand franchises. He became a Redskin fan.

I still recall the Baltimore Bullets - Don Ohl, Bailey Howell, Gus Johnson...jeez, I'm ancient.... But winning that title with Elvin Hayes and Unseld was sweet. I'm not expecting many Wizard titles in the next decade or so.

I want the Redskins to win a title more than anything, but if that can't be, I'd like them to be entertaining.

TC, I understand how your brother feels. I am ashamed to say that I still root for the Texas Rangers to annually finish out of the playoffs.

Hey Riggo44. Gotta say I love your signature pic. It is my favorite Redskin memory and the greatest single play of their franchise. It's a great picture too!

AMEN! ScottB!

I guess all of the old farts are chiming in here (I am 55 and remember when the 'Skins drafted Norm Snead). Yes, I can complain about Snyder, and often violently disagree with his decisions, BUT, he is trying to win, as opposed to the Bidwill family in Arizona. So I will support him and defend him. He is far better than Cooke the Younger, who had no clue. Hell, his own father knew that! Cooke Senior did not even bequeath the team to him!

Gibbs spoiled all of us, but remember, even he had difficulty beating Parcells and the LT-led Giants. That was pre-cap, and good teams could build teams for the long haul, often carrying players for many years before they developed into productive pros.

:D

I'm only 26 but I've been a Skins fan since their first SB! I helped better my reading by looking over Skins news in the Washington Post(I also traced over the stripes and logos in the photos but that's another topic.) I may be young but I remember the glory as well as anyone here. Heck, I was at the TC when Charles Mann guaranteed a Super Bowl trip in '91. No he didn't say "we'll do well" he GUARANTEED IT. I stumbled upon Charley Taylor in that ice cream place in Carlisle.

I know some people become fans later in life and thus would not remember any of the glory days, but some of us do. Some of us lived and died(and cried) with the Skins since damn near birth. I'm one of them.

Of course, the mediocrity is now becoming half my Skins fan life, so I'm looking forward to us having some success again.

Archived