Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I see QB Mark Brunell on the horizon

:pope: Hey guys, I just had an epiphany while eating a box of :mexican: mexican bearclaws and leftover refried beans and washing it down with San Miguel beer. :pint: What a combo. :drool:

Zeus appeared to me and says that the Skins will either acquire QB Mark Brunell by the October 15th trading deadline, or Brunell will later be cut and the Skins will sign him. Either way, Brunell will be on the Skins roster either in 2003 or for the 2004 season as a tutor to Ramsey. I couldn't get any more information then that, because I ran out of San Miguel beer and then my head cleared up. :laugh:

Loosen up guys, at least Woeful is gone. :)

was that hey Zeus or just Zeus? :cool:

Anyways, the more and more I think about it (again), Brunell wouldnt be bad as a #2 here. This piece from Jabba the Len got me thinking about it again:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview03/columns/pasquarelli_len/1606096.html

Saturday, August 30

Teams know importance of backup QBs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Midway through a conference call last Sunday afternoon, one in which Herm Edwards was detailing to the media the wrist injury suffered by quarterback Chad Pennington and how the New York Jets might deal with it, the coach was asked if he was "bummed" by the specter of playing without his emerging star for the next three months.

Chad Pennington suffered a fractured and dislocated wrist in a preseason game.

The question, sophomoric in both nature and tone, was meant to elicit a radio sound bite from the Jets' classy coach. Instead, his reply was biting, offered tersely and with an undeniable level of exasperation.

"I've still got a quarterback, right?" responded Edwards. "What am I bummed about?"

Whether the Jets coach was simply posturing -- trying to buck up the confidence of his wounded team, professing publicly his faith in new/old starter Vinny Testaverde, or just attempting to convince himself he wasn't already facing a season on the brink -- really is immaterial. The fact is, Edwards was right, and righteously indignant at the suggestion he was in a funk over Pennington's serious injury.

At age 39, and in his 17th season, Testaverde certainly has entered his football dotage. Were he the same player he was even two or three years ago, Testaverde would not have been yanked from the starting lineup after four games last season, and the Pennington Era would not yet have dawned. But his resume includes 182 starts, nearly 40,000 yards, 244 touchdown passes, and more snappy comebacks than Henny Youngman.

"Hey, you never want to lose your starter, right?" said Jets wide receiver Santana Moss. "But we've got great faith in Vinny. It's not like it's the end of the world or something."

Indeed, it's when a franchise doesn't have a viable No. 2 quarterback that things can be apocalyptic.

Witness the Miami Dolphins of 2002, a team that featured the NFL's rushing champion and third-ranked defense, but which finished out of the playoffs, in part because backup Ray Lucas won only two of six starts when Jay Fiedler was out of the lineup. It's little wonder the Dolphins added an insurance policy against such second-string meltdowns, by signing former Denver Broncos starter Brian Griese, in the offseason.

Conversely, the Jets won the AFC East because they unearthed Pennington, a former No. 1 draft choice who had played sparingly his first two seasons in the league. Not even the most optimistic New York official could have predicted that Pennington would lead the NFL in passing but, when Testaverde was benched, the former Marshall star blossomed.

Want more from just the '02 season alone? Pittsburgh rode itinerant Tommy Maddox, who began the year as the backup to Kordell Stewart, to the AFC North championship. When starter Donovan McNabb was sidelined by a broken ankle, Koy Detmer and A.J. Feeley rallied the Philadelphia Eagles to a 5-1 stretch-run record in his absence. Atlanta began an eight-game unbeaten streak with a victory over the New York Giants that was engineered by backup Doug Johnson, who will now replace the injured Michael Vick for the first month of this season.

In 2002, just 14 quarterbacks started all 16 games for their respective teams, and that was actually an increase over the past several seasons. For the last four seasons, the NFL has averaged 54.5 different starters, and franchises can no longer count on much stability at the game's most critical position. In that period, there were four different teams forced to use four different starting quarterbacks. Also during that time, approximately 15 percent of the victories recorded in the league were posted by backup quarterbacks.

The winning quarterbacks in three of the last four Super Bowl contests -- Kurt Warner of St. Louis, Baltimore's Trent Dilfer and Tom Brady of New England -- went into training camp in those championship years as backups.

And the quarterback carousel is already in full swing in 2003. Because of injuries or just ineptitude, five franchises will open the season next weekend with No. 1 quarterbacks who were not projected to be starters when training camps opened seven weeks ago. The summer featured some of the more compelling quarterback derbies of the past few years.

“ You're just naïve, or deluded, if you think you can get by anymore with just one guy. It doesn't happen that way. You'd better have someone in whom you've got faith, that you feel very comfortable with, and that you know can go in and perform. If you don't have someone like that, then you're playing with fire, and eventually you're going to get burned. ”

— Andy Reid, Eagles coach

"You're just naïve, or deluded, if you think you can get by anymore with just one guy," acknowledged Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid. "It doesn't happen that way. You'd better have someone in whom you've got faith, that you feel very comfortable with, and that you know can go in and perform. If you don't have someone like that, then you're playing with fire, and eventually you're going to get burned."

That kind of mindset resonates throughout the league now but, in fact, it wasn't that long ago that some coaches preferred to have a backup quarterback who simply knew his role, was happy to collect a paycheck for holding the clipboard, and didn't threaten the starter. More recently, teams have raised the financial ante for backup quarterbacks, and coaches don't mind nearly as much having their starters pushed a bit by the guy behind them.

Indeed, on Friday afternoon, the San Francisco 49ers rewarded backup Tim Rattay with a three-year contract extension worth $4.8 million. Although he has yet to start in a regular-season game, Rattay is valued by the 49ers, and they didn't want him exiting after the '03 season as an unrestricted free agent.

So now, while San Francisco officials will still spend '03 worrying about the balky back of starter Jeff Garcia, they don't have to fret of the future of his backup. "We just didn't want to have to start over again with someone else next year," said 49ers general manager Terry Donahue. "We know what we've got with Jeff."

Which is not to say that every team understands precisely what it is getting with its No. 2 quarterback. Certainly in 2001, New England coaches could not have known Brady would have played so well, after he replaced the injured Drew Bledsoe. St. Louis thought so little of Warner's potential that they exposed him in the expansion draft that helped to stock the Houston Texans franchise. Feeley was the most unknown of commodities less than a year ago but now it would require a high-round draft choice to pry him away from the Eagles. The Falcons have tried, unsuccessfully to this point, to lure Johnson into a long-term contract extension.

Once viewed with only a modicum of respect, viable backup quarterbacks have become a pretty hot commodity in the league, and their value figures to continue increasing. The era of the indestructible starter, with apologies to iron man Brett Favre, has gone the way of the single-wing.

When a coach is forced to go to the bullpen now, he wants the comfort of knowing there is a backup there who can throw strikes.

"You want some security, some peace of mind, at the No. 2 (quarterback) position," said Carolina coach John Fox. "It's become a very critical position."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

St. Louis thought so little of Warner's potential that they exposed him in the expansion draft that helped to stock the Houston Texans franchise.

WTF?. No way St. Louis exposed Warner in the expansion draft after he had just led them to the Super Bowl.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

:pope: Hey guys, I just had an epiphany while eating a box of :mexican: mexican bearclaws and leftover refried beans and washing it down with San Miguel beer. :laugh:

Zeus appeared to me and says that the Skins will either acquire QB Mark Brunell by the October 15th trading deadline,

Well, since you were eating Mexican food while receiving this vision, are you sure this wasn't the ghost of Wacky Ralph appearing to you ?

Or maybe it was just a false hallucination caused by the gaseous substances of the re-fried beans.

And the vision of Brunell on the horizon, may have been just a desert mirage on the Texas/Mexican plains, while peering out of your jailcell, mr, inmate....Is that prison food startin to get to ya, inmate ?

Zeus appeared to me and says that the Skins will either acquire QB Mark Brunell by the October 15th trading deadline, or Brunell will later be cut and the Skins will sign him. Either way, Brunell will be on the Skins roster either in 2003 or for the 2004 season as a tutor to Ramsey

I've been having the same "revelations". Could be why we're only keeping 2 QB's...................for now.

Otherwise, this 2 QB strategy is just crazy.

BTW, does anyone know if he's starting over Leftwich? I think Del Rio really douched this one up. He's just got that classic, asinine mindset of youth over experience. Hasn't he realized that the most successful young QBs in the past few years have sat behind a veteran for awhile, i.e. Vick, Penny, McNair (yes, he did sit behind Moon for awhile, there).

Originally posted by dcogan1820

BTW, does anyone know if he's starting over Leftwich? I think Del Rio really douched this one up. He's just got that classic, asinine mindset of youth over experience. Hasn't he realized that the most successful young QBs in the past few years have sat behind a veteran for awhile, i.e. Vick, Penny, McNair (yes, he did sit behind Moon for awhile, there).

Coach named Brunell the opening day starter

I think it was wierd, considering Jack said all along that he and his staff would assess the team on friday and then anounce who the starter was. But Jack anounced that Mark was definately going to be the starter against Carolina immediately after the game. Jacks got a plan, and I think this anouncement was part of it. Whether he was baiting Steve up with the notion that if he was going to get Mark, he couldn't wait on the hope's that he would be cut. I get the impression that our guy's were stoking the league, as well as Steve, who just so happened to be there to get an upclose and personal message that went something like this...

Hey Steve, we just clobbered your future with one hand tied behind our back, all we are asking is for a first round draft pick next season what gives? You have 2 days to decide... I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN breaks the story tonight Mark Brunell traded to the Redskins... Guess who starts doing backflips?:cheers::pint:

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

A little OT here but I recall the Redskins taking serious heat for signing Jeff George as insurance before the 2000 season. Now the Dolphins get credit for signing Griese? Me smells hypocrisy

Originally posted by Jagsbch

I think it was wierd, considering Jack said all along that he and his staff would assess the team on friday and then anounce who the starter was. But Jack anounced that Mark was definately going to be the starter against Carolina immediately after the game. Jacks got a plan, and I think this anouncement was part of it. Whether he was baiting Steve up with the notion that if he was going to get Mark, he couldn't wait on the hope's that he would be cut. I get the impression that our guy's were stoking the league, as well as Steve, who just so happened to be there to get an upclose and personal message that went something like this...

Hey Steve, we just clobbered your future with one hand tied behind our back, all we are asking is for a first round draft pick next season what gives? You have 2 days to decide... I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN breaks the story tonight Mark Brunell traded to the Redskins... Guess who starts doing backflips?:cheers::pint:

Dude, sober up so you can explain to us just :wtf: you are talking about.:?:

I just dug this up. If Leftwich is starting by the end of September, there is no way the Jags are going to keep Brunell around as a backup earning $6.75 million. He will be cut or traded before the October 15th deadline. Did you read this Snyder?

I smell something on the backburner. There is no way the Skins are going to go 16 games with just 2 QB's on the active roster. :laugh:

Del Rio: Smith will be welcomed back

Veterans now key part of game plan

By Vito Stellino - Times-Union sports writer

The Jaguars are making a $12 million gamble on themselves this year.

Besides bringing back tight end Kyle Brady and quarterback Mark Brunell, coach Jack Del Rio said yesterday that wide receiver Jimmy Smith will be welcomed back if he has a successful rehab from substance abuse.

Smith was suspended for the team's first four regular season games.

"We just hope he makes a full recovery," Del Rio said of Smith. "Until he makes a full recovery and we're given the green light, we're in a wait and see [mode]. Obviously, we're looking forward to that day."

Although Del Rio said he hasn't talked to Smith or directly to his counselors, he said he's been notified that Smith is doing well.

"It's a confidential issue. He's got to get through this situation," Del Rio said.

If Smith does come back, he and Brunell and Brady will cost the Jaguars about $12 million this year. The Jaguars also spent $3 million on safety Donovin Darius and $10 million on signing bonuses for defensive end Hugh Douglas and linebacker Mike Peterson.

"Wayne spent all that money," Del Rio said in reference to owner Wayne Weaver, who writes the checks. Weaver didn't return a phone call yesterday.

Del Rio, who has to trim the team's roster to 53 players by tomorrow, didn't announce any cuts yesterday and said he hasn't made a decision on whether to keep another veteran, defensive end Tony Brackens.

By spending the money to keep Brunell, Brady and Smith, there's more pressure to win this year, which is fine with Del Rio.

"I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best I can be and drive this team to be as good as it can be,'' Del Rio said. "As long as we give everything we have and leave it on the field, we'll live with the results."

If Del Rio has played the young quarterbacks and lost, he could write it off as a rebuilding program. Now the bar has been raised.

But, he said, "This team has been 6-10 [two years in a row] with this cast of characters so I'm not sure the bar has been set too high."

Del Rio also said he had no regrets that he kept quarterback Brunell in limbo throughout the training camp before he announced Friday night that Brunell will start the season.

"I prefer to let the process work out,'' he said. "As a new staff coming in, I think it's important we get a look first-hand at the people we are inheriting and how they blend with the people we've added. I think it's important we draw our own conclusions as to who deserves what. We've taken our time and worked through that process. That was our plan and we're happy with the results."

Del Rio did not guarantee Brunell a long tenure as the starter. When told the quarterback controversy wouldn't die if he says after games that he's going to think about who starts the next game at quarterback, he said, "Then I'm being brutally honest. I have not been anything but brutally honest through this whole process."

Del Rio said last night that he handled the situation the way he did to prepare Brunell for the "onslaught" of speculation about Byron Leftwich and David Garrard getting a shot during the regular season.

It didn't take long for the onslaught to start. Sean Salisbury said on ESPN last night that Leftwich will be the starter by the end of September.

Del Rio said, "In our final evaluation, Mark gives us the best chance to win. We're excited about our two young guys [Leftwich and David Garrard] behind him. That's just the way we look at it. Everybody has their own style and their own way of looking at it."

Archived