Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The politics of cutting Watson\

goldenster95

I'm sure there's more to it than just politics (or at least I'd hope there would be), but viewing this strictly from a politics standpoint, Watson is the odd man out . . .

Betts: current FO's second round pick last year

Trung: current FO's pickup this year

Sultan: Hue's boy

Morton: major battle to get him, key STs pickup by FO

Watson: predates Spurrier and is undrafted FA

Guess who, from the perspective of politics, is odd-man out?

Your right,

and that complete bull**** by the FO. Canidate has earned his roster spot, so has Sultan and Morton is the KR and PR so he has as well. But in now ****ing way has Betts earned a spot over Watson. Its just cause Betts is the FO's ****ing 2nd round pick! That pisses me off cause Kenny earned a spot, over Betts right now.........And Betts is hurt AGAIN! This sucks they need to trade Betts and keep Kenny.

Originally posted by bubba9497

it comes down to speed. or Watson's lack of it, compared to the other RBs.

Watson, I think, has more speed than Betts. In fact, I believe he's our most complete back. But he's that guy who's jack-of-all-trades and master of none. Oh well.

I disagree, except for Betts. From a purely football perspective, Trung and Sultan have much more upside than Watson. Quicker, faster, more explosive. Morton is a no-brainer. He's making the team because of kickoff and punt returns. Period. If he doesn't line up at RB even once during the regular season, he's still going to be worth what we're paying him. We haven't had a returner since Mitchell left.

Now Betts is a different story. I truly haven't seen anything special from him. Watson has been much more productive than Betts. You could argue that Betts hasn't been given the opportunities that Watson has, but he has been injured. Not just this preseason, but part of the regular season last year. I agree that keeping Betts would be political, being last years 2nd round pick. I like Kenny Watson. He has proven that he can be productive in this league. Unfortunately, he does look like the odd man out.

Originally posted by nelms

I disagree, except for Betts. From a purely football perspective, Trung and Sultan have much more upside than Watson. Quicker, faster, more explosive. Morton is a no-brainer. He's making the team because of kickoff and punt returns. Period. If he doesn't line up at RB even once during the regular season, he's still going to be worth what we're paying him. We haven't had a returner since Mitchell left.

Now Betts is a different story. I truly haven't seen anything special from him. Watson has been much more productive than Betts. You could argue that Betts hasn't been given the opportunities that Watson has, but he has been injured. Not just this preseason, but part of the regular season last year. I agree that keeping Betts would be political, being last years 2nd round pick. I like Kenny Watson. He has proven that he can be productive in this league. Unfortunately, he does look like the odd man out.

Watson, however, runs with more power than Sultan and Trung. And that's important. Watson also doesn't come with the fumbling baggage that Trung and Sultan do.

This had to be a done deal a long time ago, i mean in all the preseason games, the best rushing performance out of all the backs was by Watson during the Patriots game. I guess we should have all seen it when the next game rolled around against the Ravens he had two carries, then the Jax game he only had two carries. Well It's the nature of the Biz and I'm sure that he understands and will move on knowing that he didn't lose his job, it was taken by politics...

Originally posted by thinker

I don't know why the FO is publicizing the possibility of cutting Watson and killing a chance to trade him.

The FO may be doing this to squeeze out extra value on a trade involving Betts. As we know NO were interested in him not Watson.

Originally posted by Skins26

Your right,

and that complete bull**** by the FO. Canidate has earned his roster spot, so has Sultan and Morton is the KR and PR so he has as well. But in now ****ing way has Betts earned a spot over Watson. Its just cause Betts is the FO's ****ing 2nd round pick! That pisses me off cause Kenny earned a spot, over Betts right now.........And Betts is hurt AGAIN! This sucks they need to trade Betts and keep Kenny.

Yep, and for 2 reasons,

Mainly, Betts didn't generate enough interest for a trade.

Secondly, management doesn't want to be second-guessed for drafting Betts in the 2nd.

Though I'm not as high on Watson as some (I'm not sure he was a long tern solution anyways). I agree he clearly outperformed Betts. And I begrudge the triumph of privilege over achievement.

I'm not sure why so many of you are so upset yet.

It seems like you would rather have Betts cut than Watson.

Betts in my opinion and obviously the opinion of other teams has much more value than Watson, but, me personally, I'd send Sultan to the practice squad.

Watson didn't do anything great in the preseson, Sultan did ok, but nothing great, and Betts didn't hardly play because of his elbow, but in the limited action that he did have, he made some nice runs up the middle, runs that no one else on the roster makes.

It's funny the difference a few weeks makes. Earlier this month you'd have thought this board was the LaDell Betts fan club board, the way it was so adamantly argued against trading him, and for trading Watson.

So a trade doesn't look likely, and now the board swings in Wtson's favor. I don't like the idea of cutting him either, but it's not like it's a real surprise. Sometimes tough choices have to be made.

~Bang

Originally posted by Bang

It's funny the difference a few weeks makes. Earlier this month you'd have thought this board was the LaDell Betts fan club board, the way it was so adamantly argued against trading him, and for trading Watson.

So a trade doesn't look likely, and now the board swings in Wtson's favor. I don't like the idea of cutting him either, but it's not like it's a real surprise. Sometimes tough choices have to be made.

~Bang

Exactly.. good post.

Personally, I could care less, it seems like a lot of guys are emotionally attached to certain players.

It's tough as crap to cut certain guys, but that's part of life in the NFL.

Originally posted by codeorama

Exactly.. good post.

Personally, I could care less, it seems like a lot of guys are emotionally attached to certain players.

It's tough as crap to cut certain guys, but that's part of life in the NFL.

I'm emotionally attached to ending a decade of pathetic performances. You're correct Bang and Code that tough decisions have to be made. Doesn't mean we're making a good one though. Just remember that the same folks who are convinced Betts, Trung, and Mccullough are future stars also brought in DW and RJ as our backup QBs :rotflmao:

So forgive me if I can't muster up the requisite blind faith.

Color me skeptical ;)

But I will admit (grudgingly) that having to pick from Betts, Watson, Trung, Morton, and Mccullough isn't a bad problem to have.

For those who don't think Betts has more upside than Watson:

Betts was a second round pick (even if we stretched for him in the 2nd, he was going to go in the third at the latest). Watson played WR in college and went undrafted.

I know good players can slip thru the cracks (but it's usually for discipline or behavior problems like Sultan) but that should tell us something about upside right there.

Betts has more talent and upside than Kenny Watson. We've seen the best of KW and we haven't seen the best of Betts and their production was EQUAL last year...

I would rather have Betts cut than Watson. I wouldnt even second guess it. Betts has been here for 1 season and a 2 camps now. And he's already been hurt 3 times, i believe he was hurt near the beginning of the season last year. Not to mention Watson has outperformed him. Watson doesnt fumble either. And he's cheaper. Where you were drafted doesnt matter one bit to me. Betts should have been cut.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

Betts was a second round pick (even if we stretched for him in the 2nd, he was going to go in the third at the latest). Watson played WR in college and went undrafted.

I know good players can slip thru the cracks (but it's usually for discipline or behavior problems like Sultan) but that should tell us something about upside right there.

Betts has more talent and upside than Kenny Watson. We've seen the best of KW and we haven't seen the best of Betts and their production was EQUAL last year...

By your logic, you could predict NFL success purely by draft order...and that clearly is dead wrong. 'Upside' is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Originally posted by goldenster95

Watson, however, runs with more power than Sultan and Trung. And that's important. Watson also doesn't come with the fumbling baggage that Trung and Sultan do.

We all assume Betts runs with more power than Watson because he is bigger. That is not necessarily so. Watson reminds me of Curtis Martin. He gets you the yards you need. You can run him on any down and he can catch as well as any back on the team. I am tired of hearing of how he has no upside or limited upside (from our board experts). Most of us picked Skip Hicks over Stephen Davis. We assumed Davis had no upside and Hicks had all the upside. Many years later, Davis is the man while Skips and his unlimited upside are still trying to make teams as a 3rd stringer.

Originally posted by codeorama

I'm not sure why so many of you are so upset yet.

It seems like you would rather have Betts cut than Watson.

Betts in my opinion and obviously the opinion of other teams has much more value than Watson, but, me personally, I'd send Sultan to the practice squad.

Watson didn't do anything great in the preseson, Sultan did ok, but nothing great, and Betts didn't hardly play because of his elbow, but in the limited action that he did have, he made some nice runs up the middle, runs that no one else on the roster makes.

What preseason were you watching?

Originally posted by speedwagon20

Using your argument, how many other teams or analysts agreed with the Betts pick?

Why should draft position even be an issue two years into a player's career?

You can argue that Betts came in fresh after Watson softened the defence. It is a lot easier to come in as a backup at any position than as a starter.

You agree that good players can slip through the cracks due to discipline or behavior problems. What was it for Joe Jacoby and for Terrel Davis? How about Terrel Owens?

You've seen the best of Kenny Watson? What expertise do you have that allows you to make such a definitive statement? You know what, if he maintains his 4.6 yards average as a starter, that is plenty good.

I don't have any personal attachment with Kenny Watson, nor do I dislike any of the backs on the Redskins. I just think he has shown so far that he is the best back on the team. I would never get rid of a reliable thing based on some perceived potential.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

You guys are more forgiving than I am.

Kenny Watson has needed to go ever since the gaffe he made in the Dallas game that allowed Roy Williams to go about 5 yards into the end zone for a TD.

Archived