Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone know what the typical punishment is for these computer hackers?

endzone_dave

It's not enough in light of the damage they cause and the lost productivity. There needs to start being long prison sentences for these idiots. It's the same thing to me as starting a fire and watching the conflagration take out a neighborhood, with the possible exception that hacking doesn't directly cause loss of life.

Years ago it was true that many hackers would get light punishments then parlay that into a nice gig as a computer security advisor - not so these days. Back then only a few people had any computer skills but with the hordes of people with computer science degrees (I am currently pursuing my own BS in comp sci) both inside the USA and all over the world, nobody needs to be chasing criminals around for good employees. I have known a couple of people who have done a little harmless hacking - I never found it too interesting myself. It's basically a way for geeks with no power in the real world to flex their muscle in the only thing they are good at. On a side note, any punishment that is given to hackers should be at least equivalent to what an email spammer gets. Spam costs companies infinitely more money then hackers ever will.

Originally posted by du7st

On a side note, any punishment that is given to hackers should be at least equivalent to what an email spammer gets. Spam costs companies infinitely more money then hackers ever will.

I agree to an extent, although some spam at least has can have a colorable argument that it's a commercial solicitation. Can you make that claim about the sobig virus, for example?

jbooma...I had to laugh out loud when I read your post:you're right. have worked with some of these folks - they are bright. but it always seemed a dubious proposition to me from the government's pov. you're getting into bed with someone who has already demonstrated suspect ethics.

Archived