Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

50 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Enjoying Winters-Scott in the booth. 

Is that who it is?  She’s great.  

Where is Drew Gooden though?  We’re like twenty games into the season and he’s missed like four games already.  Don’t normally see that.

It’s remarkable to me how some players can’t help but shoot their teams out of a game. I mean, maybe Russell gets hot for Minnesota but once you get to 1-6 from three, why do you keep taking threes. 

The Wiz suffer from it occasionally so I know it happens to teams. Just seems like low IQ basketball.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This roster without Trez is under .500. That's how valuable he's been to this team. 

Agreed.  Of all the acquisitions in the off-season, he’s been the best.  Many nights, the most potent and consistent offensive player.  Tonight though I think the team gets lots of credit too because they did a great job in getting him easy buckets.  He did some work himself, but he got a lot of excellent passes too.  We need more of that.  

Dinwiddie must have read that stuff about his impact on teams shooting.  He couldn’t score tonight but he racked up assists.  Still think he needs to drive more, and I’m starting to worry he isn’t fully recovered from the knee injury.  

This team, especially when Rui gets back, reminds me of the Trailblazers teams around 99-2001.  Just deep at every position.  Not dependent on one guy to provide the scoring.  Balanced. Can get 8 combined points from your PG and PF, but get a ton of points from multiple players on your bench.

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

This roster without Trez is under .500. That's how valuable he's been to this team. 

If we somehow dont keep Trez past this season, I'm seriously going to go into a mini deep depression.

For me, us losing Trez is not an option. If that means some other important pieces have to leave, then so be it. He is irreplaceable. Even if you replace his stats, you can't replace him. His approach to the game, his IQ, his energy, hustle, aggressiveness, the energy he provokes from the crowd. He doesn't complain about coming off the bench.....Ive been saying it since the first game, he needs to retire a Wizard....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

Harrell has been a good journeyman whose journey needs to end here.  He's found his home on this team and I don't think he has ever played better.  But money is going to be an issue. We're cash strapped and he is playing his way to a big new deal this off-season, and we might not be able to afford him.  He has never really gotten paid before, not for how good his offense is.  So if this is his one shot at a big contract, he is going to have to take it.

Cap situation for next season is that we're basically at the cap with 10 returning players and three significant players set to walk: Harrell, Bryant, Neto.  There aren't any easy savings to be had either.  Dinwiddie and Bertans are our two worst contracts, Dinwiddie is probably immovable and we are just going to have to stick with him and hope he starts playing way better.  And Bertans is going to require attaching an asset to move.  So unless we do that and get a real salary dump from Bertans, we are going to have to hope Harrell will settle for the MLE.  I wouldn't if I were Harrell.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

A fully-formed Rui/Deni combo will make Trez expendable.  Just enjoy this year and don’t fall for the contract year glitter Trez is throwing out here nightly…even if it is very appealing glitter.

This is definitely a possibility. It will come down to whether Shep is stuck on his draft picks or not. The Wiz desperately need guard upgrades and can't keep every PF on the roster. 

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

A fully-formed Rui/Deni combo will make Trez expendable.  Just enjoy this year and don’t fall for the contract year glitter Trez is throwing out here nightly…even if it is very appealing glitter.

Before I agree or disagree with this, can you explain more?

15 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Before I agree or disagree with this, can you explain more?

Trez will be a 28YO free agent after this year.  The “contract year” phenomenon among NBA players of that age is fairly well understood.  Somebody is gonna end up with a 32/33 YO Trez riding the pine at $20M per, and I’d rather it not be us.

Caveat Emptor.

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

A fully-formed Rui/Deni combo will make Trez expendable.  

TOTALLY disagree........If keeping Trez meant Rui/Deni leaving, pack their ****ing bags.......though important, those two inconsistent, timid cupcakes  dont bring to the table what Trez does. I usually dont agree with getting rid of youth for vets, but Trez is special. Id rather taking a chance at replacing Rui & Deni in the draft, then losing Trez.......

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trez will be a 28YO free agent after this year.  The “contract year” phenomenon among NBA players of that age is fairly well understood.  Somebody is gonna end up with a 32/33 YO Trez riding the pine at $20M per, and I’d rather it not be us.

Caveat Emptor.

Trez is not a "1 year phenom", he's received the "6th Man Of The Year" award before. And with the Lakers, he wasnt able to shine do to how the team was constructed.....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Caveat Emptor.

Copy. You're looking ahead, which is not bad. I was thinking about how Harrell's stat line is probably equal to Deni/Rui's combined... last season, anyway. 

Edited by Chachie