Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

If this guy believes in off ball screens, is an X’s and O’s coach, and can coach defense… this is a great hire.  No idea if he does or not.

The Towson native spent six seasons on Michael Malone’s staff in Denver, the last of which he served as associate head coach. Unseld devoted most of his tenure to elevating a defense that ranked in the bottom 10 in the league in the two seasons before he and Malone arrived; the Nuggets were 11th in the NBA this past year.

His defensive work appears even more impressive because it wasn’t his primary focus as he climbed the NBA’s coaching ranks.

Before Denver, Unseld had stops in Golden State and Orlando. But he spent the bulk of his early career as a scout with the Wizards and Mystics, landing in Washington straight out of Johns Hopkins University in 1997 before working his way up to an assistant job in 2005. As a scout, he worked extensively on offense.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Unseld is a bad hire, I just think the whole name recognition/family ties thing might be too much pressure and ultimately crush him. He'd probably be a great hire for almost any other franchise.

Yeah, I'm not worried about that.

He's been WES Unseld's son for 49 years...with all the pressure and expectations that come with it.

Wes Jr. might ultimately fail but I don't think it will be due to pressure. 

• Like 3

My problem with the hire is that it absolutely feels like business as usual for a mom and pop franchise.  There were a bunch of worthy candidates.  Maybe I'm wrong and others had these connections too, but I think the franchise picked the only candidate with a personal history with the team and the smell of nepotism on him because that's what this organization defaults to when they have to try and sell a big decision to the fanbase.  And then selling the hire as him "coming home" sends a chill down my spine.

My faith in this team is almost dead and my passion for it is close behind.

• Thanks 1

It's a good hire.

But there is no question his name, plus Shep and Ted knowing him all gave him the edge from the very beginning. No one else really had a chance as soon as it was put out there that Shep really liked him at the beginning of the search process. 

Still wish they had a new GM but we are stuck with Ted being a terrible owner. 

41 minutes ago, Destino said:

The fact that they made the playoffs but still fired coach Stupid Face gives me hope that they’re actually trying to be better than just good enough to sell tickets.  

His contract expired but they really wanted to bring him back. They floated the idea and the backlash hit them pretty hard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My problem with the hire is that it absolutely feels like business as usual for a mom and pop franchise.  There were a bunch of worthy candidates.  Maybe I'm wrong and others had these connections too, but I think the franchise picked the only candidate with a personal history with the team and the smell of nepotism on him because that's what this organization defaults to when they have to try and sell a big decision to the fanbase.  And then selling the hire as him "coming home" sends a chill down my spine.

My faith in this team is almost dead and my passion for it is close behind.

Who cares that he's Wes Unseld's son.  For whom does that move the needle?  If any fan is intrigued by this hire, it's because he appears to be one of the up and coming assistant coaches in the league.  

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Who cares that he's Wes Unseld's son.  For whom does that move the needle?  If any fan is intrigued by this hire, it's because he appears to be one of the up and coming assistant coaches in the league.  

Ted and Shep care. But like I said, it's a good hire. Just as any of a dozen people would have been a good hire. 

Edited by Hersh

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I can't be the only one who didn't even know that Wes Unseld Jr. existed until this coaching search right?

Certainly no Wiz fan could have recited his coaching history before the search. 

Edited by Hersh