Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

[html]Scenario: The Draft Lottery God decides that he hates us again and we are stuck drafting at #5.  Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Jared Sullinger and Derrick Williams are the first four picks (in no particular order.  Kyrie Irving is clearly the BPA and may even be the BPA in the entire draft but slips because of his injury.  Do you take him?

Edit: And no legitimate trade proposals on the table.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I don't see Irving lasting till #5. If we pick #5, then that means Cleveland, Minnesota, Sacramento and Toronto are picking ahead of us.

Minnesota is the only team that doesn't need a PG. Once the draft workouts start and teams see how good of a player Irving is, they won't pass on him. Especially Cleveland or Toronto, both teams need a stud at PG.

I wouldn't pick him at #5. He would be the BPA pick but I don't agree with BPA in the draft lottery if it doesn't fill a position of need. I don't mind BPA outside of the lottery though.

Cleveland has won on the road this year I think 2-3 games.

Are you saying that is the record for all-time and it's Cleveland that owns that record ?

Sad ...when my brother played he said they loved playing on the road because it was less pressure.

Edited by Kosher Ham

i probably take Enes Kanter or Barnes (who's stepped his game up the last few) at that point, or try to trade with a team who needs a pg

Those first four picks blow, but my consolation is Barnes. Sullinger is the player I want and I'd be really upset if he's off the board when we pick. But I'd settle for Barnes in a heartbeat.

I'm skeptical of Kanter. It'd be nice to have a player like him, but he's supposedly got knee problems. I don't trust them to hold out on him.

I'm going to crow loudly when Barnes gets taken high this year. There are draft websites that actually have Barnes falling out of the lottery and yet have Perry Jones being taken first overall hahahahaha. What, because he's averaging a whole point per game more despite playing six more minutes?

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Those first four picks blow, but my consolation is Barnes. Sullinger is the player I want and I'd be really upset if he's off the board when we pick. But I'd settle for Barnes in a heartbeat.

I'm skeptical of Kanter. It'd be nice to have a player like him, but he's supposedly got knee problems. I don't trust them to hold out on him.

I'm going to crow loudly when Barnes gets taken high this year. There are draft websites that actually have Barnes falling out of the lottery and yet have Perry Jones being taken first overall hahahahaha. What, because he's averaging a whole point per game more despite playing six more minutes?

yeah Kanter's injuries scare me as well, but from what i've read his skill undeniable. then again, skill is useless if he can't see the floor. i would feel alot better if we changed medical staffs before selecting him if we go that route. between the two, i'd take Barnes as well

yeah Kanter's injuries scare me as well, but from what i've read his skill undeniable. then again, skill is useless if he can't see the floor. i would feel alot better if we changed medical staffs before selecting him if we go that route. between the two, i'd take Barnes as well

I''ve seen Horford comparisons with Kanter and that sure would be nice to have. The problem is that knee problems are no joke with a big. Greg Oden had them and one wonders if he'll ever get back on the court. I think Oden's deal was one of his legs was an inch shorter than the other. That seems minor enough but apparently it was the root cause for his micro fracture surgery.

Kanter would be the homerun pick for us but it's just too much stress and risk for my taste. We have absolutely got to get this pick right. I wish I had more faith in our FO to do it.

You all are taking the back story/details of my scenario way too seriously. It wasn't about the possibility of it happening but about the whole BPA thing. I was just thinking about how far one would take it.

I wouldn't pick him at #5. He would be the BPA pick but I don't agree with BPA in the draft lottery if it doesn't fill a position of need. I don't mind BPA outside of the lottery though.

No BPA inside the lottery gives you Oden over Durant, Darko over 'Melo, Bowie over MJ, etc. The examples are endless.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 11:43 PM ----------

Am I the only one that likes Jimmer Fredette?

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 05:12 PM ----------

For a second round pick, if he lasts until then.

nbadraft.net has Fredette as a lottery pick (13th overall).

You all are taking the back story/details of my scenario way too seriously. It wasn't about the possibility of it happening but about the whole BPA thing. I was just thinking about how far one would take it.
Well, I wouldn't adhere so strictly to BPA that I'd take a guy who'll be the backup PG with the 5th overall selection. Unless... could a Wall-Irving backcourt work? Probably not. Irving would probably play the 2 since he's the better shooter and we don't need to be yanking around a John Wall averaging almost 10 assists as a rookie. There's no way Irving could defend the Kobe Bryants of the league at 6'2.

It'd be doomed. Kind of like the opposite of what the Warriors have in Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis.

No BPA inside the lottery gives you Oden over Durant, Darko over 'Melo, Bowie over MJ, etc. The examples are endless.
Was Durant markedly the BPA at the time though? Oden had an excellent NCAA tournament and his freshman season, while not Kevin Durant good, was still pretty good. The choice looks awful in hindsight but that's because Oden's medical problems look obvious now when at the time, they were anything but. I liked Durant a bit better at the time and thought he would have made an ultra talented lineup with Roy and Aldridge but I also remember it being really close between him and Oden.

Still, Portland could have used both a 3 and a center. We already have a stud PG on the roster so our situation with Irving isn't totally comparable.

The Cavs now hold the record for most consecutive losses at 24. Yet they've at least won on the road 3 times. 0-25 sounds worse. Why the **** are they so bad?

Because they don't have the most brilliant basketball player of his generation playing for them any more. The Cavs were always a suspect team. The fact that they were ever even a contender is astonishing. That they led the NBA in wins last season? Staggering in retrospect. Their owner is an utter moron who managed to squander the goldenest goose of all golden geese. I don't like LeBron but I certainly appreciate his talent now. The fact that the Cavs go from the league's top seed to one of the worst teams in NBA history the moment he walked out the door will be one of the most interesting and lasting parts of his legacy. Pointing that out is probably the simplest and most effective way he can tell his hypocritical critics like Jordan and Barkley to STFU.

Because they don't have the most brilliant basketball player of his generation playing for them any more. The Cavs were always a suspect team. The fact that they were ever even a contender is astonishing. That they led the NBA in wins last season? Staggering in retrospect. Their owner is an utter moron who managed to squander the goldenest goose of all golden geese. I don't like LeBron but I certainly appreciate his talent now. The fact that the Cavs go from the league's top seed to one of the worst teams in NBA history the moment he walked out the door will be one of the most interesting and lasting parts of his legacy. Pointing that out is probably the simplest and most effective way he can tell his hypocritical critics like Jordan and Barkley to STFU.

Damn sorry I wasn't clear with the post. I mean that despite losing 24 in a row the Cavs have at least won on the road 3 times. Meanwhile the Wizards are 0-25 on the road. I almost feel like thats even worse.

The Wiz need some big men who can rebound. McGee needs to stop flying around and trying to get a blocked shot on every play. He gets way out of position and makes scoring for the other teams big men a piece of cake. At least that's what the deal was last night.

It'd be nice if we had a PF that was a rebounding machine like Kevin Love. McGee would look a lot better if that were the case. He could play the ball and his partner could play for the rebound. Blatche is the useless one. We can't have two soft bigs who don't rebound and Blatche is the one to go IMO.

For all who think McGee is a lost cause though, just take a loot at Josh Howard's remarkable development. Howard was a dumber player than McGee for a long time before he became the force he currently is. I'm willing to be patient and wait on McGee because there aren't any better options forthcoming.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I agree steve. McGee and Blatche cannot co exist and Blatche should be the one to go. McGee is an above average center right now. I think people get disappointed because he can be so much better, but even at his current skill level, he could start for most teams in the league.

Being paired next to a self admitted "finesse" player doesn't allow McGee to do a lot of the things he can.

The only thing that intrigues me is that Marc Gasol and Nene will be available in FA. I think Kendrick Perkins is available as well. All three are better by a fair margin than McGee. Gasol and Nene are light years ahead of him in terms of skill. Do you roll the dice with McGee or do you say "**** it" and try to make a play for Gasol and Nene?

Personally. I'd listen to trade offers for McGee. Is a team willing to give up an unprotected future first for Javale? If so and we know we can convince one of Gasol or Nene to play in DC, then do it.

Edited by No Excuses

It'd be nice if we had a PF that was a rebounding machine like Kevin Love. McGee would look a lot better if that were the case. He could play the ball and his partner could play for the rebound. Blatche is the useless one. We can't have two soft bigs who don't rebound and Blatche is the one to go IMO.

For all who think McGee is a lost cause though, just take a loot at Josh Howard's remarkable development. Howard was a dumber player than McGee for a long time before he became the force he currently is. I'm willing to be patient and wait on McGee because there aren't any better options forthcoming.

Completely agree.