Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Porter will not contribute to this team until next year, when Ariza is gone. Im ok with that i guess. Its kind of hard to take minutes away from Ariza the way he is playing. Though i would still put all my effort into trying to find a taker on Ariza before the trade deadline. We dont have the money to resign him. We dont have the cap room to sign anyone next year. We dont have a 1st next year either. And signing Ariza to a new deal wont make us a contender. What other options do we have?

Wittman stuck with the 8 man rotation tonight

That's my one complaint about tonight other than the FT shooting.

It seems like keeping the bench so short with our injury issues could contribute to winning the battle but losing the war.

We've been fortunate that the Bulls shot poorly from the FT line too.

Working on his playoff rotation?

I would be perfectly fine with this notion if that is what it was. But the rotations constantly change each game, and our team is extremely fragile. We should be rotating a bit more to prevent injuries to our second most important player (Nene). One game it looks like Ves is getting burn, then nothing for a few games. Same with Booker, Seraphin, and to a lesser extent Porter.

Good win. We beat a hot Chicago team on the road, that's a type of game we usually lose.

No matter what, we've got to try and hang on to the 6th seed or better. Seven or eight is going to be ugly.

i'm thinking 4 or 5 at this point. I don't think we can beat Toronto over 7 games, assuming they keep the 3rd seed.

This team could easily find itself much worse next season and they've made themselves look like a horrible job to take for any coach or GM.

DC would be one of my top choices if I were a GM or coach. The job security here is the best in the industry.

But I don't think the team will be worse next year. I think we'll be better because of natural growth from Wall and Beal and we haven't yet reached the end of the line for Nene and Gortat. I expect the team to bring Gortat and Ariza back and pretty much keep this group together. That is exactly the Leonsis playbook. We won't take a major step back until Nene and Gortat are done.

I expect the team to bring Gortat and Ariza back and pretty much keep this group together. That is exactly the Leonsis playbook. We won't take a major step back until Nene and Gortat are done.

You are probably right. If that is the plan, then our only option available to better this team is to upgrade the gm/coach. Which im leaning towards not happening.

DC would be one of my top choices if I were a GM or coach. The job security here is the best in the industry.

But I don't think the team will be worse next year. I think we'll be better because of natural growth from Wall and Beal and we haven't yet reached the end of the line for Nene and Gortat. I expect the team to bring Gortat and Ariza back and pretty much keep this group together. That is exactly the Leonsis playbook. We won't take a major step back until Nene and Gortat are done.

Beal and a Wall will certainly get better but I don't see enough money to keep Gortat and Ariza while still upgrading the other roster spots. I doubt Ariza is back, it will be up to Otto to handle the backup 3 duties. Because Webster will be starting he won't be able to get the minutes as back up SG so they'll need someone there that can score (meaning, not Temple). Not sure if a Rice is ready to be a rotation player.

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance of this team taking a step back. Especially with Nene being relied on and eating up much more cap space than his production justifies.

Noah might have the worst jumpshot in the history of the NBA, and that's really saying something. Anyone notice that jumper he took from the baseline in the 4th? Barely caught the side of the rim? Holy ****...

Anyway, some of you all just need to accept what is for what it is and just appreciate the high points when we get them, like tonight. Focus your championship thoughts on the Nats.

Noah might have the worst jumpshot in the history of the NBA, and that's really saying something. Anyone notice that jumper he took from the baseline in the 4th? Barely caught the side of the rim? Holy ****...

That thing goes in though. Ugly ass shot. It looks like a two hand chest pass but he can hit jumpers from the elbow to about 17 feet and he can shoot FTs well for a center.

I truly believe in the first you get good, then you win axiom about the NBA. I think it just takes a lot longer for things to come together unless you buy a team of Superstars like Miami did. But try and build a great team organically with the draft and it takes a long time before you see the return.

For example, Indy drafted Roy Hibbert six years ago. They spent forever developing him. He's 27 and now a dominant player. They had to do some work that took years. They got Paul George four years ago and put in a ton of work developing him for just now seeing the huge return four years later. Then they just kind of fell into David West in December, 2011 and got really fortunate he worked out big time. Plus they already had gotten Granger 9 years ago, and they had to toil away for a long time with him on bad and mediocre teams.

After four years of building and picking late in the lottery, in '10-'11, they finish 8th in the East with a 37-45 record. They get bounced from the first round of the playoffs by a strong Chicago team. But the playoff experience is good for their team, especially the young core of Hibbert and a rookie George.

Then in the lockout year in 11-12, they get a lot better, win enough games to be the three seed with a 42-24 record, bounce Orlando from the playoffs, and get frisky with a Miami team at the peak of their run. Starting to get legit playoff experience now, got their first series win. They're getting good.

Then last year they get to 49-32, almost hit that 50 win plateau, and are starting to look like a great team. Just not every night. They go on a run in the playoffs, win a tough series against the Hawks, win an impressive series against the higher seeded Knicks, and then take Miami to the absolute limit with a seven game series they could have won if not for a few key missed opportunities. They know they've arrived as a great team now and a bonafide postseason presence.

Now this year they've cemented their identity, have had George and Hibbert grow into being two of the best players at their position in the NBA, and they now play like a dominant team almost every night. They're on track for 60+ wins.

First they spent a long time getting good, and now they're winning. Unless you can buy a ready made team of Superstars like Miami, or have teams fire sale off superstar players to you in incredibly one sided trades like Boston and L.A., that's how you have to do it.

We're still trying to get good. If we can break .500 and get to 44 or 45 wins, that's a big step forward for a team that hasn't even won 30 games in ages. We're probably going to still spend a couple more years working to get good before we can really expect to win. It's frustrating but there is no way around it.

My guess is that we won't have a chance to contend before Beal's fourth season, which is John's sixth--if they remain healthy enough to develop. That's probably the earliest those two will be ready to be a consistent star tandem.

• Like 2

Beal and a Wall will certainly get better but I don't see enough money to keep Gortat and Ariza while still upgrading the other roster spots. I doubt Ariza is back, it will be up to Otto to handle the backup 3 duties. Because Webster will be starting he won't be able to get the minutes as back up SG so they'll need someone there that can score (meaning, not Temple). Not sure if a Rice is ready to be a rotation player.

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance of this team taking a step back. Especially with Nene being relied on and eating up much more cap space than his production justifies.

They can use cap exceptions to keep Gortat and Ariza. That means we won't have money to upgrade the other parts with more expensive FAs, but that's what I meant when I said they'd keep this group together.

I think Ariza is looking at full MLE money from most clubs this summer because he's going to be selective in his destinations IMO. Prefers West Coast. Is going to want to play with a PG. Not a lot of teams meet those criteria and have cap room. I think there is a decent chance he'd sign here for an offer that beats the MLE by a little bit to stay with Wall.

And I think Ernie will be unwilling to let a good player go for nothing once the team has finally crawled out of the gutter. You know Wittman would be upset to lose Ariza.

And yes, I believe both he and EG are getting extensions this summer.

PG is the major weakness, and I think we're going to try and fix the issue by taking another shot with a bargain FA using an exception. Other than that, you can expect a couple more seasons out of Gortat and Nene with only a slight decline. You can expect Aiza and Webster to keep playing about the same for a while. And you can expect reasonable amount of growth from Wall and Beal. By year five, Wall might play at a star level more consistently. And Beal should be getting a lot better. And hopefully Porter will start to emerge. Growth from those three could offset the loss you'll see from Nene and Gortat aging until they fall off the cliff.

I think the truly bold and high pay off move would be to fire EG and Wittman this summer, find a great coach, trade Gortat and Ariza or let them walk to try and get Greg Monroe.

That might cause us to take a small step back initially. But you're looking at a much stronger construction down the line with a 23 year old Greg Monroe than a 30 year old Gortat.

I don't see that happening at all though.

I thought when the Bulls got the lead down to 4 or 5 in the 4th quarter that we were going to blow it for sure. Buuuuuut..... the Wizards rallied quickly and closed the freakin' door. I was kind of shocked.

Our psyche is fragile and Wittman doesn't help things with his goofy rotations but I saw something really good in the Wiz last night.

****in' Ariza with a 16/9/4 and a +12. Dude is ballin'.