Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I would love to have Thibs as the coach. There have to be a lot of other jobs out there he'd rather have though.

For instance if Thibs became available and I'm the GM of OKC, I'd fire Scott Brooks in a cocaine heartbeat to get Thibs.

I like Thibs...at least from a defensive standpoint.

Now when you talk about offense that's another story entirely.

Full disclosure: In general, I'm not too keen on "defense first coaches" in any sport.

I would love to have Thibs as the coach. There have to be a lot of other jobs out there he'd rather have though.

For instance if Thibs became available and I'm the GM of OKC, I'd fire Scott Brooks in a cocaine heartbeat to get Thibs.

I'm not very high on Brooks. If I was the GM of OKC I'd be looking for a reason to make a change. I suspect his talent is carrying him much like Mike Brown was carried by Lebron.

Edit: almost forgot, Beal's defense is suspect.

Edited by Destino

I'm not very high on Brooks. If I was the GM of OKC I'd be looking for a reason to make a change. I suspect his talent is carrying him much like Mike Brown was carried by Lebron.

suspect? the man played Perkins more than 20 minutes a game in an NBA final series that was crying for a small line up. He continues to keep Derek Fisher out the retirement home. HE is not a good head coach.

And while I understand the apprehension of giving picks for a coach, you got to think outside of the box to get someone special. I really dont want a George Karl-type here to make us a 50+ win first round exit and then blame your star team

There should be enough bright, talented coaches out there that you don't have to trade draft picks for them. Boston traded theirs and got another great one in no time. There are guys all over the sport that are hungry and talented.

What we need is a front office visionary and demanding enough to go and find an actual good coach.

I watched the second half of the 4th quarter of the Pacers game laughing to myself that this would be our season low in scoring. Turns out I was right. Is that wrong? Those guys are legit.

Too bad about the Rockets game. It was totally within our reach but we just play bad at home for some reason.

I'm not terribly sure that coaches are THAT important at this point (with rare exceptions like Pop and Thibs - and even Pop has the benefit of an incredible front office). The league seems to be front-office driven right now.

The best coaches seem to know their rotation, keep their players focused and hold the media at bay. Doc Rivers is not a strategic genius by any stretch. But his players have seemed willing to die for him at every stop in his career. 

I do think BAD coaches matter. I think Brooks is actually right on the borderline of being a bad coach. I can easily see him going to some place like Orlando one day and losing 50 games.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I'm not terribly sure that coaches are THAT important at this point (with rare exceptions like Pop and Thibs - and even Pop has the benefit of an incredible front office). The league seems to be front-office driven right now.

The best coaches seem to know their rotation, keep their players focused and hold the media at bay. Doc Rivers is not a strategic genius by any stretch. But his players have seemed willing to die for him at every stop in his career. 

I do think BAD coaches matter. I think Brooks is actually right on the borderline of being a bad coach. I can easily see him going to some place like Orlando one day and losing 50 games.

Brooks is the same thing as Wittman.  Except he's got the benefit of coaching a great team.  No joke, you'd probably have similar results in OKC with Randy on their bench.  Same can be said about the Wizards w/ Brooks at the helm. 

You're 100% spot on about the front office.  Imagine if we had a GM w/ the foresight of a guy like Ujiri in Toronto? 

You're 100% spot on about the front office.  Imagine if we had a GM w/ the foresight of a guy like Ujiri in Toronto? 

In my sporting life, I have dealt with Cerrato & Grunfeld (Unseld & Jordan before him) for over a decade plus in their respective positions. I'm not aware of what foresight looks like.

Really makes me appreciate someone like Mike Rizzo.

The problem the wizards have is that I think they picked the wrong year to go all in.  They are one year too early to even be thinking about playoffs or bust.  Beal is not ready and without him you've got nothing but expensive rentals that will be gone at the end of the season and expensive bench players.  This team is just good enough to screw themselves entirely out of the first round in a year where doing so is the worst idea possible.  They've also managed to position themselves so that a huge chunk of their roster is expiring and yet, amazingly, they have very little cap space.  

It feels like this team is driving straight towards a cliff and they are selling this as some sort of plan we should all buy into.  They can't defend home court or beat teams over .500 this season but they are supposed to somehow improve next year with little cap space, no first round pick, and 7 players under contract.  One of which they hate so much they refuse to play him at all and another that rarely sees the floor (rice).  

John Wall  $13,701,250

Nene Hilarious  $13,000,000

Martel Webster $5,381,750

Bradley Beal $4,505,280

Otto Porter $4,470,480

Eric Maynor $2,106,720

Glenn Rice $816,482

Wall - Maynor 

Beal - Rice 

Webster - Porter 

Nene - ???

??? - ??? 

Think the bench is bad this year?  This year is the high point of Grunfeld's desperate bid to save his job.  This team could easily find itself much worse next season and they've made themselves look like a horrible job to take for any coach or GM.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Has there been any talk in extending the width of the court? Amazing how many TOs there are from guys stepping out of bounds in the corner.

Easier solution is simply for players to pay attention. NFL wide outs manage it under less favorable conditions.

Chicago has been cold, we've been hitting our bad shots. I hope it continues.

I wish Wittman's rotations were more consistent. Its hard for our young players, especially Porter, to improve if they don't really know when they'll be called in for action.

Edited by StillUnknown