Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I saw that.  Yeah, probably high.  As far as the analysis goes, it's like they were just a liiiiiittle bit off the mark on a lot of stuff and it skewed the conclusion at the end.  It's like they are following the team, closer than most analysts, but not quite close enough to truly get some of the moves we've made.

For instance Webster.  If you didn't watch the team all last year, you probably wouldn't get why he got the money he did.  He was worth the full MLE to us.  He was an important presence in the locker room, he's a big energy guy, and he's an elite 3 ball shooter, which we desperately need.  He's the perfect fit personality-wise, kind of became a spokesman for the locker room, and just organically assumed a leadership role.

It's a similar reason why I think Harrington might be in a situation of being the right person at the right place at the right time.

Also, I disagree with Bill saying Wall needs a 3 pointer.  It'd be nice, but the only 3s Wall is really going to take are late clock desperation shots and wide open corner 3s when he moves off the ball.  In the first, meh, you don't expect him to make those.  The real problem is in the offensive breakdowns that happened to bring us to that point.  In the second situation, Wall can make those well enough.  The three pointer doesn't have to be a weapon for Wall so long as we put two or three three ball shooters on the court with him.  That was a huge issue his first two seasons because we couldn't.  But now we've got Beal, Webster, Ariza, Harrington, Rice, and Porter (he'll have 3 ball range eventually).  That should be enough for now.

I also disagree with their talk about Porter being a bust.  There's this negative buzz going around about Porter that's based off two poor summer league games and a third where he was alright but got hurt.  All you ever hear people and the media talk about with SL is that it doesn't matter.  But then they treat it like the exact opposite.  Remember when people were talking about Beal being a bust 3 games into last season?  I think the pessimism about Porter is going to end up being just as absurd and short sighted.  Porter might spend most of this season shaping his body for the NBA.  But when he does play, people are going to see how skillful a scorer he is and they'll relax.  He's the perfect SF to go with Wall and Beal.

Another spot I disagree with Simmons on is Nene.  Simmons underrates him, and it's totally understandable if you don't watch him night in and night out.  You have to catch Nene before the foot injury and the knee tendonitis robbed him of all lift and speed last season.  You simply can't see his impact from his stats.  It'd be like trying to judge Marc Gasol's or Roy Hibbert's impact off their stats, which just aren't that impressive by historical standards.  Nene has a huge impact when he's on the court, it's not captured in his stats at all because there is no stat for capturing "bruising, game altering size matched with quality offensive skill and decision making."

If Beal keeps playing like he has, he's going to be an AS this season.  Who does he have to compete with in the East?

Rondo coming off the serious injury and the Celtics tanking.  Wade in decline.  DWill seemingly taking a back seat to other, better teammates.  Jrue Holiday is in the West now and only made it last season because Rondo and Rose were hurt.  Joe Johnson is terrible.

Rose will make the AS game.  Kyrie will if he stays healthy, (though this is no certainty).  Wall will make it if he average 18 & 8+ assists again.  If Beal averages 20 PPG, he'll make it.  He might be the best SG in the East this season depending on how much Wade has left.  I think it's a lock he'll be the best by next season.  He already looks like the best young SG behind Harden.

Is there a better young 4 and 5 combo in the league than Drummond and Monroe? Drummond is an elite athlete that can already defend and rebound at a high level. Monroe's strength are on the offensive end of the floor but he can also rebound... And they both have good size, no tweeners.

The only reason I'm not bitter about letting Drummond slip by us in the draft is because Beal looks great. I knew Drummond would be good, even when scouts made fools of themselves.

Edited by Destino

Decent finish to make the game close, but that horrid start worries me. It was a lob fest for Detroit, and when they weren't dunking, they were getting open shots.

Wall was almost invisible tonight. He played 25+ minutes and didn't notch a single assist. He looked pretty lifeless from jump and didn't get much better as the game progressed.

Is there a better young 4 and 5 combo in the league than Drummond and Monroe? Drummond is an elite athlete that can already defend and rebound at a high level. Monroe's strength are on the offensive end of the floor but he can also rebound... And they both have good size, no tweeners.

The only reason I'm not bitter about letting Drummond slip by us in the draft is because Beal looks great. I knew Drummond would be good, even when scouts made fools of themselves.

Detroit is going to deal Monroe or let him walk.  Why, I'm not totally sure.  But apparently he's a poor fit with Drummond because he regressed pretty hard when playing next to Drummond last season.  Spacing is the major issue.  Drummond's lack of any offensive skill aside from dunking means he has to play C and has to play underneath the basket.  Somehow this made Monroe easier to defend and he took a big step back offensively, got graded as one of the worst shooters in the league last season.  I guess Monroe really has to play C too.

Personally, and for our team, I'd rather have Monroe of the two.  But Drummond could learn some post moves and a mid range jumper and change my tune.  I think a low post scorer like Monroe at C would be such a good situation for us long term.  It'd be an enormous upgrade over Seraphin.  Then you'd still have enough of an interior scoring and rebounding presence to get by at the PF spot with a collection of defensive guys and stretch 4s that can't really score or rebound.

Monroe is an RFA though.  So if he doesn't get dealt before the deadline, still won't be easy or cheap to get him.

Kevin Love would be awesome too.

Only a matter of time before Monroe is a Wizard.  Seriously. 

I'm not sure we've got the assets to trade for him.  If we want him, I think we've got to hope Detroit doesn't trade him, and that we can make a large enough offer this summer to persuade them not to match.

Man did we play like **** in the first half.  But damn coming out of the gate in the second half we were all business. 

Nene was a factor on both ends of the court in the second half.  He really makes a difference when he is in the game.  This is where we will miss Okafor because Seraphim looked confused and we had no inside presence or post game when he was on the court.  God help us if one of these guys gets hurt.  Who is our third center?  Veseley?  We were -8 when he was on the floor last night.

I was thinking that, if we did have a big bruiser at C like Monroe, it would make sense to get two SF/PF types to play the forward spots and be interchangeable there.

Teams like Miami and New York feast on doing this to other teams and most people do not have the players to match up defensively.  When you put LeBron up at PF and you're going against a team like us whose PF is Nene, is Nene supposed to guard him?

But then if you switch our SF onto LeBron, now is Nene supposed to guard Shane Battier?

So to counter it, you've got to have two forwards who are interchangeable.  This is where we're really hurting from Vesely and Singleton not panning out, because these are the guys we need.  We've got Porter, and hopefully he works out.  But Singleton and Vesely are the exact bodies we needed to be able to defend small ball lineups because Ves is tall and fast and Singleton has a big and strong body and he's fast.  ****.

Man did we play like **** in the first half.  But damn coming out of the gate in the second half we were all business. 

Nene was a factor on both ends of the court in the second half.  He really makes a difference when he is in the game.  This is where we will miss Okafor because Seraphim looked confused and we had no inside presence or post game when he was on the court.  God help us if one of these guys gets hurt.  Who is our third center?  Veseley?  We were -8 when he was on the floor last night.

Yeah Nene was very impactful.  I think that, if we do make the playoffs, we are desperately going to need Nene to be healthy and rolling in order to have any chance at advancing out of the first round.  If you look at the playoff teams in the East, almost all of the good ones except Miami have excellent big men.  Nene is our only hope of matching up with those guys.  Seraphin will get us killed and Vesely is just not a viable option at C for an extended period of time.

I'm not a Georgetown homer.  Not really a fan of the team although I tend to like their players for the NBA.  I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Greg Monroe and Jeff Green.  Green and Porter being interchangeable at the forward spots.  Monroe to play C.

Green is a nice player and Boston might be looking to deal him to tank.  But unfortunately he does make a lot of money, on the books for three years at about 9 million and the third year is a 9.2 million player option.  Not sure if that price is doable for us if we also have to spend some big money to get Monroe.  Especially if Nene is still on our books.  Also not sure about that line up defensively.

We better get out to a decent start once the season begins. Gotta turn some of this hype into actual wins. No more weak starts, hell we can't even get off to a decent preseason start in terms of wins and losses

Edited by SuperBash

SM - I think we do have the assets for the Monroe trade.

Porter, future 1st round pick ('14), Seraphin, two huge expiring contracts....

There might be a team out there who could top what we could offer, but I really think that there's enough here to get this trade done.  Plus, the Wizards could offer Monroe a max extension. 

We better get out to a decent start once the season begins. Gotta turn some of this hype into actual wins. No more weak starts, hell we can't even get off to a decent preseason start in terms of wins and losses

The first 8 games are tough, we would do well to be 4-4 after that stretch.

Marc SteinVerified account

‏@ESPNSteinLine

Hearing: Suns are trading Marcin Gortat to the Wizards. Okafor on his way to Phoenix. More details to come

Marc SteinVerified account

‏@ESPNSteinLine

Proposed deal will send Gortat, Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall to Wizards and Suns on course to receive Emeka Okafor & at least one pick

I need to see what kind of pick we're sending before I give my opinion on this one.

Edited by StillUnknown

As long as it's not an unprotected 1st my initial reaction is happiness. They didn't want Vesely as part of the deal?

I'm guessing they preferred an Italian Ice to Vesely.

If we keep Marshall & Brown, we would have to cut some players.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account

‏@WojYahooNBA

Draft pick will be protected thru no. 12. Suns own four picks in loaded 2014 first-round.

I'm have no issues now

Michael Lee

‏@MrMichaelLee

Hearing Marcin Gortat is main piece for #wizards. Kendall Marshall, Shannon Brown & Malcolm Lee not expected to stick around in DC