Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I mean if Vesely can't see action tonight, whats the point of having him on the roster?

Why are all the starters out with under three minutes in a 9 point game?

Wittman's riding the lineup that cut into the lead, most likely for too long as is his usual move.

Edited by StillUnknown

Why are all the starters out with under three minutes in a 9 point game?

As much as Wittman has grown on me, **** like that does drive me nuts. I hope we add another assistant coach to put in his ear over the offseason. Someone with a little more common sense to go with his no non-sense attitude...

As much as Wittman has grown on me, **** like that does drive me nuts. I hope we add another assistant coach to put in his ear over the offseason. Someone with a little more common sense to go with his no non-sense attitude...

Wittman has motivated these guys but his rotations, starting lineups, and absolutely terrible Xs and Os really limit how far he can take any team. He's just not cerebral enough to be a head coach, but he's likely a good assistant coach.

Wittman has motivated these guys but his rotations, starting lineups, and absolutely terrible Xs and Os really limit how far he can take any team. He's just not cerebral enough to be a head coach, but he's likely a good assistant coach.

I think a more creative offensive mind would help Wall, that should be the ultimate motivation for making a change. Regardless, we're stuck with him for one more season at least.

Edited by StillUnknown

Seven point game... I wonder if this is when Wittman subs in Vesely and Collins.

---------- Post added March-24th-2013 at 12:54 AM ----------

Wittman leaving that lineup in to end it was essentially a forfeit with the goal of getting those guys some run, letting them put something on tape.

Which is inexcusable with the game as close as it is. That's what you do in a blowout.

Which is inexcusable with the game as close as it is. That's what you do in a blowout.

That game became winnable when Curry left. Wittman chose to lose in a defensible way IMO--"I went with the lineup that closed the gap."

Webster was probably hurt and Nene and Oak were fatigued. That's why he didn't want to play them. I wanted that win though. The refs really pissed me off.

Do you forsee a Riggleman type episode if we start winning???

Do you forsee a Riggleman type episode if we start winning???

Different situations for a couple of reasons. First, I don't see Wittman quitting, just doesn't seem to be his nature. Second, Riggleman had a GM in Rizzo who was smart enough to realize a "placeholder" coach when he saw one, Ted & Grunfeld are perfectly content to ride with Wittman.

speaking of everybody's favorite GM:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/3/24/4140990/ernie-grunfeld-washington-wizards-general-manager

"So, everything that I'm hearing is that because of what they have shown down the stretch here now once healthy, that Ernie Grunfeld, Tommy Sheppard and that whole front office will be back next year and get a chance to show that they've put together a team that can be a playoff team in the postseason."

Grunfeld and coach Randy Wittman both signed two-year contract extensions after last season, with Grunfeld reportedly taking a pay cut on his new deal.

Question for the people: Would you rather make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed, which in turn leads to an extension for Grunfeld/Wittman or miss the playoffs one more year and be done with Grunfeld?

Edited by StillUnknown

Question for the people: Would you rather make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed, which in turn leads to an extension for Grunfeld/Wittman or miss the playoffs one more year and be done with Grunfeld?

I'd rather Grunfeld be judged on his total body of work and be fired immediately. Even if you like where the team is right now you can't like the cap situation. Grunfeld is over spending for a team that can win games now to save his job but can't last. What happens when Ariza and Okafor expire or leave? A GM is about building a sustainable winner and Grunfeld has shown that he can't do that.

I'd rather Grunfeld be judged on his total body of work and be fired immediately. Even if you like where the team is right now you can't like the cap situation. Grunfeld is over spending for a team that can win games now to save his job but can't last. What happens when Ariza and Okafor expire or leave? A GM is about building a sustainable winner and Grunfeld has shown that he can't do that.

Ideally he would be judged on his body of work, but Ted isn't operating like that. He's not even being judged on his overall record since Ted took over. Ted only seems to be judging on the teams record when Wall, Beal, & Nene play.

Ideally he would be judged on his body of work, but Ted isn't operating like that. He's not even being judged on his overall record since Ted took over. Ted only seems to be judging on the teams record when Wall, Beal, & Nene play.

If Ted isn't fired by now, I don't know what will do it. The team is going to be at least a .500 team next year, which is playoffs in the East. Maybe if we start getting in and not winning a championship, Ted will try something new. But this is what, the second or third rebuild Ernie has overseen here in DC? The man has more lives the Reed Doughty, but way less likeable...

Too much incompetence at the top of this franchise to hope for miracles, dude.

Edited by Renegade7

I'm still not sold on the premise that Ted is a complete moron. Ted is a self made man that does things his own way and certainly makes it a point to focus on the positive which can be frustrating to sports fans. Sports is all about copying someone else and focusing on the problems. There is a disconnect there but that doesn't mean that Ted is incapable of seeing problems.

I'm hoping that he'll look at the cap situation of this team and realize what Grunfeld has done. He's overspent to save his own ass and in doing has placed the team in an unsustainable situation. The Wizards are paying 34 million dollars to cover up Grunfeld's draft day mistakes and that will complicate things after this season. The problem fans have is that the GM does more than just player management and we have very little access to the other stuff so we don't know what his overall job performance is.

All we can do is hope Ted, in his own special way, fixes the front office.

Got no issue with Wall. Wittman should ave walked out on the court and got tossed as well. You HAVE to show Wall you got his back. Especially after he lobbied for you to keep your job.

I was a little surprised none of the Wizards players tried to step in between Wall before he got to Thompson. If we could tell how frustrated Wall was for the majority of the game, the players had to know something was brewing.

I think the plan was always going to be to bring EG back for next year TBH. They just desperately wanted an excuse to sell it to the public. If we had only won like ten games this season then that might have forced their hands. But I doubt Ted wanted to fire EG and blow up the build and have o pay both EG and Wittman and a new staff. He's probably still paying for flip too isn't he?

Grunfeld deserved to be fired after the 2009 draft. But firing him now is problematic because a new GM is going to probably come in and blow this build up. You'd have to either suck it up and start over with a new guy's vision. Or you'd have to find a new guy who is willing to keep building around the young pieces we've got in place. I think it'd be difficult to find a good GM willing to accept that kind of condition.

Personally, I think we owe it to ourselves to let this Wall/Beal build develop. They need good bigs and wings to progress right now. Right now we've at least got decent starters at those spots and one or two decent reserves. I'm skeptical we'd be able to keep all of that in place without taking any steps backwards if we brought a new GM in right now. I think we might have to wait for Wall and Beal to get good enough to carry a team on their own before making major changes.