Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm going to admit upfront that I've only watched 1 Wizards game from start to finish this season. I find them near unwatchable and I can't bear it.

From the one game that I saw and I believe the stats bear this out (but maybe they don't) *shrugs*

but they're needlessly putting Beal in handcuffs. Especially now that the season isn't going anywhere...fast. Why not develop one of your best players?

The offense should be designed to get Beal open court isolation and catch and shoot off the ball screens.

The offense does a lot for Beal the problem is that Beal doesn't do much with it. Much to everyone's surprise, he's not a very good shooter. He needs to get the ball more in transition and he needs to decide to attack the basket more in the half court offense. I think that once he improves his dribbling his production is going to improve a great deal and his shooting will naturally get better as well.

When I was at the game last night, I saw four straight plays where Beal ran straight to the corner in three point land and just stood there. You could tell by his body language he hated every second of it. He seems really good when he is driving and dribbling around to create his shot but Randy like to park him in one spot.

When I was at the game last night, I saw four straight plays where Beal ran straight to the corner in three point land and just stood there. You could tell by his body language he hated every second of it. He seems really good when he is driving and dribbling around to create his shot but Randy like to park him in one spot.

He's actually shooting corner three's at 42%, as opposed to 21% above the breaks.

If we had people who could drive and dish, him spotting up in the corner might actually be a weapon.

He doesn't handle the ball well enough right now to consistently create his own shot.

Edited by StillUnknown

He's actually shooting corner three's at 42%, as opposed to 21% above the breaks.

If we had people who could drive and dish, him spotting up in the corner might actually be a weapon.

He doesn't handle the ball well enough right now to consistently create his own shot.

passes to the corner three are John Walls specialty aren't they?

Our offense doesn't run a lot of off ball screens IMO. It's more of a high screen and roll game that focuses on getting the bigs mid range shots near the top of the key or isolated around the low block. We run some ISOs for Crawford but mostly just for Seraphin and Nene.

Beal isn't utilized in the way DG is talking about. I agree with Still that his ball handling isn't good enough yet to run a lot of ISOs for him. As for why they don't curl him off screens away from the ball to shoot, those are hard shots. Beal hasn't done much catching and shooting this year, I guess he doesn't have a comfort level with it or he's not getting the ball in his spots. Most of the time Beal catches he takes a couple of dribbles or he passes. Martell and the other guards have shown much more willingness to catch and shoot than Beal.

Yeah the big knock on Beal coming out was his ball handling

As for him not being a good shooter, shouldn't be too much of a surprise. I mean all the praise for his shooting was based on potential more than results at Florida. Perfect form, looks like Ray Allen, etc. But if you look at his numbers last tear, as freshman to be fair, his percentages sucked.

I have hope for him (I think he's the youngest player in the league) but man I can't believe we didn't flip him for Harden. That's gonna hurt for a long time

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Yeah the big knock on Beal coming out was his ball handling

As for him not being a good shooter, shouldn't be too much of a surprise. I mean all the praise for his shooting was based on potential more than results at Florida. Perfect form, looks like Ray Allen, etc. But if you look at his numbers last tear, as freshman to be fair, his percentages sucked.

I have hope for him (I think he's the youngest player in the league) but man I can't believe we didn't flip him for Harden. That's gonna hurt for a long time

Not making that trade was a disaster and there will not be another crack at that apple. That young and at that price?! Ted will be lucky if he lives long enough to turn down another opportunity like that. That simply doesn't happen. When is the last time you remember a team drafting too many star players and having to get rid of one?!

Is Anthony Bennett on anyone's radar for the upcoming draft? I know he is kind of a tweener but I LOVE his game.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

I also like Ben McLemore a lot too. I know he plays the same position as Beal but outside of PG, I really think we should take the BPA

I also like Ben McLemore a lot too. I know he plays the same position as Beal but outside of PG, I really think we should take the BPA

Won't be any PGs who are BPA in our range so it won't matter.

McLemore is nasty but Shabazz is better IMO. Shabazz has an NBA ready post game and is a lot more NBA ready in general IMO. He's bigger too. He's a better fit for our roster as is, you could play him comfortably at the three in lineups with Wall and Beal. If you take McLemore you are going to struggle to get him and Beal and Wall on the court together. Probably have to deal either McLemore or Beal.

My stance is, if we keep the pick, we should just go with Shabazz if he's available. If he isn't, go with one of the bigs. I'm probably leaning towards Nerlens but I'm not blown away by him. I'm waiting for Alex Len to hit conference play and hopefully show out.

Our offense doesn't run a lot of off ball screens IMO. It's more of a high screen and roll game that focuses on getting the bigs mid range shots near the top of the key or isolated around the low block. We run some ISOs for Crawford but mostly just for Seraphin and Nene.

Beal isn't utilized in the way DG is talking about. I agree with Still that his ball handling isn't good enough yet to run a lot of ISOs for him. As for why they don't curl him off screens away from the ball to shoot, those are hard shots. Beal hasn't done much catching and shooting this year, I guess he doesn't have a comfort level with it or he's not getting the ball in his spots. Most of the time Beal catches he takes a couple of dribbles or he passes. Martell and the other guards have shown much more willingness to catch and shoot than Beal.

Hmmm...

That's interesting/troubling to hear the way Beal is described not just by you but by Destino and Stills.

A 2 Guard that can't consistently get his shot from an iso is troubling as is a 2 that doesn't have a clean handle. (not talking about dribbling to facilitate but dribbling to score, get to the basket/get your shot.

The reason why I mention the shooting off screens b/c it is my belief/understanding that all shooters benefit from getting a clean look at the basket. And the best way sometimes the only way to get a open shot for your shooter in a half court set is to run him off screens. And I fully expect Beal to be out of rhythm. But, imo he's gonna have to get his attempts up before he finds that rhythm. And imo he won't play with confidence until he finds his rhythm/stroke as a shooter.

Basically, I think Beal needs to be given the green light to shoot the ball without fear or admonishment from the coach. And I don't believe and I could be completely wrong basing it off the game I watched. But, I felt like Beal was playing with a choke collar on. And imo that's the wrong way to raise a 2 guard/scoring guard.

Beal really can shoot those corner 3s.

There is a lot to like with Temple but man he doesn't seem like he can score. Can't shoot and doesn't have much of a first step. He can pass and defend though.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

What's Trevor Booker's injury? Feels like we haven't seen him in forever.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2013 at 09:15 PM ----------

CLUTCH from Beal. Damn that was pretty nice. 8 points real quick. He's locked in.

We probably were shooting well enough to win this game if not for the constant turnovers. All our key guys got into double digits and were knocking down some shots.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2013 at 09:30 PM ----------

Our medical staff has been known to make players disappear.

Isn't Derrick Rose supposed to be coming back next week? Funny how he might get back before Wall...

Vesely is more volleyball than basketball.

He worked on his shot all summer showed a decent stroke and was promptly told never to shoot. People can hate on him all day but Wittman is poison. Not saying he's good I'm saying that in many other places he'd be better by now.

Edited by Destino

He worked on his shot all summer showed a decent stroke and was promptly told never to shoot. People can hate on him all day but Wittman is poison. Not saying he's good I'm saying that in many other places he'd be better by now.

Naw man he's one if the worst players in the association top 5 IMO. I really don't like Wittman but I am sorry he doesn't have much too work with and it really not fair. This team is overmatched every game, every team we play pretty much have better players at every position other than NeNe. The team is playing there heart out but this team is made up of 3rd rotation players the team looks like a D league team.

Beal, Crawford and NeNe are really the only good players with potential on the team. Beal I have been hard on him but man at 19 years old hes asked too do a lot and he is simply not ready for that pressure that we put on him. Crawford I like him but he's very streaky and throws up crazy shots but he's our offense. NeNe is a beast but he's limited with injuries.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Hmmm...

That's interesting/troubling to hear the way Beal is described not just by you but by Destino and Stills.

A 2 Guard that can't consistently get his shot from an iso is troubling as is a 2 that doesn't have a clean handle. (not talking about dribbling to facilitate but dribbling to score, get to the basket/get your shot.

The reason why I mention the shooting off screens b/c it is my belief/understanding that all shooters benefit from getting a clean look at the basket. And the best way sometimes the only way to get a open shot for your shooter in a half court set is to run him off screens. And I fully expect Beal to be out of rhythm. But, imo he's gonna have to get his attempts up before he finds that rhythm. And imo he won't play with confidence until he finds his rhythm/stroke as a shooter.

Basically, I think Beal needs to be given the green light to shoot the ball without fear or admonishment from the coach. And I don't believe and I could be completely wrong basing it off the game I watched. But, I felt like Beal was playing with a choke collar on. And imo that's the wrong way to raise a 2 guard/scoring guard.

Beal was picked to compliment Wall really. His ball handling is good enough to get himself space in the mid range game and to score in transition but he's not a natural slasher like Wade. That's fine because when Wall is in the game, Wall needs to be doing almost all of the ball handling in the half court.

Beal, like most of the team, is probably going to look a lot better when Wall gets back.

We don't run a lot of set plays for Beal. He's done fairly well when he have though. He had the green light to shoot at the end of tonight's game and scored 8 points in about 40 seconds. When he heats up, he can shoot the lights out from anywhere on the court. But yeah, he does need to get his attempts up while continuing to take good shots. He needs to be in that 15 attempts a game region. He's been shooting more lately.

I think Randy likes Beal. He gives Beal more latitude than any of the other young players. Beal is easy for a Coach to like and justify giving minutes to.

Washington WizardsVerified

‏@WashWizards

Wall and Ariza return to practice, Price takes part in non-contact drills. Ariza closest to return, could be in next few days

So what's going to be the excuse when people realize the roster isn't that bad.

Wall

Beal / Crawford

Ariza / Webster

Nene

Okafor / Seraphin

That's not that bad of a team. Wittman better win some game with them.