Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I just don't see it with Beal guys, 15 ppg on 44% shooting on 34 minutes per game seems a bit underachieving. Only 34% from 3 point mark. I will admit I am not really a college basketball guru, can someone explain the hype, I know his form is comparable to Ray Allen but it seems that is where it ends. He has good intangibles and defensive skills but I just don't see this whole "best shooter in the draft".

I'm not hating or being that guy, legitimately curious.

You pretty much asked what I asked and I got the same answers, although I did say "prove it" to Beal and the Wizards, so he has a year to prove it.

Please don't be that one annoying person who declares a rookie to be a "bust" after one season.

If he's the next Ray Allen like you all are saying, then he shouldn't bust. I've been watching this team for 35 years and the crap that had has followed after our lone title in 1978. After supporting this franchise for all those years without a championship, I think I have a right to be "that guy" if need be. I don't like the pick and he and the Wizards will have to prove that he was the choice, otherwise, we have another Calbert Cheaney on our hands.

If he's the next Ray Allen like you all are saying, then he shouldn't bust. I've been watching this team for 35 years and the crap that had has followed after our lone title in 1978. After supporting this franchise for all those years without a championship, I think I have a right to be "that guy" if need be. I don't like the pick and he and the Wizards will have to prove that he was the choice, otherwise, we have another Calbert Cheaney on our hands.

I have no idea who on this forum called him the next Ray Allen. I'll be curious to see those posts.

Everyone I've read so far understands that he was the best SG prospect in the draft which isn't a ridiculous claim.

And you can't get angry about Ray Allen comparisons and then go ahead and call him the next Calbert Cheaney. Both are equally ridiculous.

Let the kid play. He's only a year removed from high school.

I have no idea who on this forum called him the next Ray Allen. I'll be curious to see those posts.

Everyone I've read so far understands that he was the best SG prospect in the draft which isn't a ridiculous claim.

And you can't get angry about Ray Allen comparisons and then go ahead and call him the next Calbert Cheaney. Both are equally ridiculous.

Let the kid play. He's only a year removed from high school.

I just think you guys are severely overating the guy because Jay Bilas told you so. I know we as fans have had "battered wife syndrome" when it comes to the Wiz and I believe that alot of you want to make yourselves believe this guy is better than he really is. If he averages more than 17 ppg his rookie in the NBA (I don't think that's asking too much), I'll quit posting in this thread for a season.

When doing player comparisons people are speaking of their style of play. They are not saying they will have the same careers as the players they are being compared to. I didn't get to watch many Florida games so I really can't comment on how good the kid can be. However many NBA experts have called this a great pick for the Wiz so I'll take their word for it until I'm able to see more for myself. For a 19 year old he seems very mature and has a great family background ... that's a great start in my book.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 08:41 AM ----------

I just think you guys are severely overating the guy because Jay Bilas told you so. I know we as fans have had "battered wife syndrome" when it comes to the Wiz and I believe that alot of you want to make yourselves believe this guy is better than he really is. If he averages more than 17 ppg his rookie in the NBA (I don't think that's asking too much), I'll quit posting in this thread for a season.

Have you seen him play? I'm curious what it is about his game that you don't think he will succeed. I'm asking because, like I said before, I didn't watch too many Florida games. The positives I've heard about him is that he has great form and shoots very well, he rebounds and plays defense. The knock I've heard is that he is shorter than you would normally like a 2 guard to be.

And you've seen him play how many times?

Seems like you're being a negative nancy for absolutely no reason. Unless you're going to tell me you saw A LOT of Florida games, then yeah, you're being just as ridiculous as those fake "Ray Allen" claims you were talking about.

You're right. I haven't seen much of the guy. But its not just Jay Bilas who came to the consensus that he's the best SG in the draft. Now how well he plays in the NBA is yet to be seen.

He could be a bust, or he could be a great SG. Declaring him anything after one season is insane.

I just don't see it with Beal guys, 15 ppg on 44% shooting on 34 minutes per game seems a bit underachieving. Only 34% from 3 point mark. I will admit I am not really a college basketball guru, can someone explain the hype, I know his form is comparable to Ray Allen but it seems that is where it ends. He has good intangibles and defensive skills but I just don't see this whole "best shooter in the draft".

I'm not hating or being that guy, legitimately curious.

Stats aren't necessarily the best way to predict future performance. Especially something like 3 PT shooting in a single college season. Sample sizes are small. The January to February slump Beal had was only about 7 weeks of basketball. That's a normal slump for a Pro basketball player that they might experience several times throughout their career, but in the college season it can tank your numbers for a whole year.

There are a whole range of factors that play into statistical performance that you aren't drafting along with the player. Irving Walker isn't coming with Beal. Whatever situation that had him a bit depressed in Florida during his slump isn't coming with him. Just his raw ability.

It's worth pointing out that two month slump at Florida was Beal's first shooting slump ever according to him. That's crazy, but when you hear about his High School numbers, you believe it. Apparently he shot close to 50% on threes in H.S. and made like 4 or 5 a game...

Skills are more important for projecting future performance. Beal is, without question, the most skilled long range spot up shooter in the draft IMO. His mechanics are perfect and his shot selection is probably best in the class, and he just turned 19. If there is one thing Wittman knows, it's shooting. He was a tremendous shooter in his day. He had nothing but praise for how good Beal's shot is. Said something to the effect of shooting comes easy to Beal and his feet are pretty much perfect every time. Beal will shoot well in the NBA, it's such a projectable skill. I think he's at 40% as a rookie (almost unheard of), and only climbs from there. With John Wall running point, I see him being one of the top five 3 PT % shooters in the NBA each season of his prime while taking a high volume of them.

Beal's also not just a knockdown shooter though. He was the best all around SG in the class by a long shot. He is tough, strong, and physical. His rebounding rate is amazing for a 6'4 SG. He was a double double machine in college. And he's also a terrific perimeter defender--probably one of the best in the SEC as a freshman.

Can you imagine how tremendously valuable he will be if he shoots like we think he can AND he becomes our perimeter stopper? I can't remember a pure shooter who was that complete in a long time. Usually those guys are very finesse and offensively oriented. Beal is a complete player.

I think he'll see several All Star games in his day.

I'll make the size large so this comment will stand out:

Bradley Beal is compared to Ray Allen due to SHOOTING MECHANICS. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Beal, like Allen, has picture-perfect form. No one is saying that he's going to turn out anything like Ray. All that's being said is that with his shooting form, he'll improve on his FG% as he matures.

Seeing some of these FA deals being offered/signed, I feel MUCH better about what EG/Ted did with the acquisitions of Nene, Ariza, and Oakfor. None of those deals are crippling....but 4/40 for Gerald Wallace...MAX deal for Hibbert...Max deal for Batum...etc....

No bueno.

Omer Asik got 3 yrs, $25 mil from the Rockets.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/asikom01.html

Yup. That guy. And his 3 pts, 5 rebs a game.

Best part is that he gets $15 mil of it his last year.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Bradley Beal is compared to Ray Allen due to SHOOTING MECHANICS. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Beal, like Allen, has picture-perfect form. No one is saying that he's going to turn out anything like Ray. All that's being said is that with his shooting form, he'll improve on his FG% as he matures.

This cannot be stated enough.

His game reminds me more of Eric Gordon.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 10:28 AM ----------

People really thought the lockout would stop owners from handing out dumb contracts. Comical.

I just noticed you are asking that Beal score 17ppg as a rookie to be a success in your eyes. 17ppg is very high for a rookie to average. Even Ray Allen didn't average that coming into the league as a rookie. He averaged 13.4ppg and we can atleast agree he had a good career. And Ray Allen came out of college as a junior.

I think the best way to measure Beal is how his style of play compliments Wall and the rest of the team. He's still young but he seems like he has a good foundation to be a really good player. We'll see.

We're crowded at the position, but I really like what James Singleton did at the end of the season. I need to check to the stats, but I remember him being quite efficient.

And we should never forget: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/wizards-watch/2012/may/1/few-pearls-wizards-wisdom-part-1/

That's hilarious. Morris Almond made me a fan just from that.

I'd like to bring back Cartier Martin and James Singleton. We know they work for us. I'd as soon bring them back as going out searching for end of the roster guards and forwards. But when everyone is healthy, they wouldn't get any minutes.

Figure the depth chart will look roughly like this after Blatche gets amnesty claused:

G: Wall, Beal, Crawford, Mack, X

F: Nene, Ariza, Booker, Vesely, Singleton, X

C: Seraphin, Okafor, X

The rotation order will probably look something like this:

1.) Wall

2.) Beal

3.) Ariza

4.) Nene

5.) Seraphin

6.) Crawford

7.) Vesely

8.) Singleton

9.) Booker

10.) Okafor

11.) Mack

12.) X

13.) X

14.) X

Figure we'll probably keep about 13-14 players on the roster. But anyone else we sign is going to be our 12th or 13th man so we're not looking for high profile guys. These guys won't really be getting minutes unless someone else is hurt.

No veteran PG is a little troubling but Wall is good enough we probably don't need to bring one in.

48 minutes a game at each position:

PG: Wall gets ~ 36 here, the other 12 will be divided between Crawford and Mack

SG: Beal hopefully gets ~30 here, other 18 go to Crawford.

SF: Done by committee: Ariza probably gets ~20 here, Singleton ~18 or so, Vesely ~10

PF: Committee again: Nene gets ~20 here, Booker, Okafor, and Vesely split the remaining 28

C: Seraphin hopefully gets ~ 30 minutes, Nene gets ~10, and Okafor comes in as a spell for the final 8.

That's a 10 or 11 man rotation. We're just looking for bench warmers and injury subs for now. I'd sign Martin if he'd be willing to come back in that role, he can play either wing spot in case a guard goes down. He can't run point, but we're screwed no matter what if Wall goes down. Singleton also makes sense because a Nene/Okafor/Booker injury is coming at some point each season.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 10:48 AM ----------

And his ability to work and move off the ball. He really moves around on offense like Ray Allen. That's where I think the comparisons were first hatched.

Also he's compared to Ray Allen from a physical standpoint. Similar well built but lean athletes with defined upper bodies. 6'4 guards. Excellent but not really elite athletes.

Also it's important to point out that, UF freshman Beal is not the whole book on Beal the shooter. He's been a tremendous shooter his entire life except for that January and February stretch. Basically everyone thinks he'll shoot for much higher percentages from long range than he did last season.

And you've seen him play how many times?

Seems like you're being a negative nancy for absolutely no reason. Unless you're going to tell me you saw A LOT of Florida games, then yeah, you're being just as ridiculous as those fake "Ray Allen" claims you were talking about.

You're right. I haven't seen much of the guy. But its not just Jay Bilas who came to the consensus that he's the best SG in the draft. Now how well he plays in the NBA is yet to be seen.

He could be a bust, or he could be a great SG. Declaring him anything after one season is insane.

Exactly. PJ, if I remember correctly, you admitted that you have not seen him play much. So to me, it is just as outlandish for you to draw a conclusion on him right now as those that are assuming he is going to be Ray Allen-esque. I did not see all of his games, but I probably saw about 10-12 of them this year and I saw a guy that struggled early in the season, as freshmen do most of the time, but matured a lot over the year and became a stone cold killer at times by the end of the year. Would I have taken him at #3? I don't know. It would have been a tough call, but he is definitely what we needed most on this team as it is presently constructed.

And the fact that so many teams wanted him and were willing to trade up for him makes me feel better about the selection. Say what you will about the Wizards player personnel moves over the years, but when well-run organizations are trying to trade up to get him, that should say something.

How long has it been since we have had a guy that could knock down a jumper on a consistent basis? That could hit that clutch 3 when the shot clock, or the game clock is winding down? Shooting guards that have a complete game like Beal do not come around very often, and I don't want to make another Mitch Richmond trade. His shooting percentage was lower that you would like this season, but I am pretty sure that it went up as the season went along and he adjusted to the college game, and I think it will go up as he gets to play his natural position with the Wizards, rather than playing out of position a lot at Florida.

People that get paid a lot of money to evaluate players loved this kid. Across the NBA. He was not over drafted, and there are very few question marks on him. It is a very solid, very smart pick..something that the Wiz do not do very often. I am still surprised thet we got him, rather than the Bobcats trading the #2 pick to someone that wanted Beal, because the offers were there.

We can complain all we want about the second round pick, because I will be scratching my head about that one for a while. But I can't really find much to complain about with Beal. There are a lot of teams that are SG needy in the NBA and we were one of them. I would much rather have Beal than reaching for Dion Waiters at 4 like Cleveland did. I like Waiters a lot, but he has a lot of question marks.

I don't see anybody having anything bad to say about the pick. I just think people are inherently skeptical just because of the ineptitude of this franchise for the better part of 30 years. But when reputable sources, not the Bleacher Reports of the world, consistently say things like this about Beal, I think we should wait until we jump to conclusions. You can't effectively evaluate a draft pick for at least a year or two, but the initial reports are pretty positive.

His overall skill set has you wondering if he'll end up as the best thing to come out of this draft that isn't named "Anthony Davis," and once he gathers NBA strength he'll be an all-around force to be reckoned with. A smooth one, at that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/ball-don-t-lie-grades-2012-nba-draft-180352269--nba.html

He can supply Washington with the shooting that it's craved and oh-so-much more, from rebounding to a top-tier penetration game to defensive ability.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/29/nba-draft-grades/index.html

John Wall needed a reliable shot-maker running alongside him. And that's exactly what he got in silky-smooth Beal, who provides a sense of balance and reliability to a core that's missing consistent nightly production. A lights-out shooter who can handle the ball, his ability to defend and rebound reflect his completeness as a prospect.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/2012-NBA-draft-team-grades-New-Orleans-Hornets-Anthony-Davis-Charlotte-Bobcats-Michael-Kidd-Gilchrist-062912

Ideal fit alongside John Wall and a smooth wing who can make shots from the perimeter. Beal is solid in just about every phase of the game and will fill a major need for the Wizards and give the team a terrific young backcourt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19442655/2012-nba-draft-report-card-for-all-30-teams

Edited by lovetoaster

A successful year for Beal is to earn significant minutes, show his potential, and have numbers that show promise. .400+ fg% and .300+ fg% would be lines he'd have to find himself north of as a shooter. I dont care about his rebounding unless it is too low, as this aspect of a guards game is icing and not cake. I'm very interested to see his defense though I expect him to get shredded as a rookie, again we are looking for potential.

He true test is to show improvement every year and star power in year three or four. That's 2014-15. That matters because he shouldn't be near his prime until after the contract cataclysm.

Edit:

Steve you see Serphin starting over Okafor? I don't. Unless Seraphin flat out beats Okafor in camp and preseason h should come off th bench. I like that personally, make everyone earn it.

I think Beal should have to beat out Crawford as well (and I might still have him playing 6th man for a while, just to make him work).

Edited by Destino

Best part is that he gets $15 mil of it his last year.

That is a dumbass contract.

Asik is developing, looked pretty good in spot duty for the Bulls, got fairly limited opportunities because the Bulls have strong frontcourt players ahead of him, plus he's a legit 7 footer and pure defensive center. But there is no way you pay him that kind of contract without coming to regret it eventually. This contract is almost as bad as the one Brendan Haywood got, and that contract essentially gave the Mavericks no ability to extend Tyson Chandler, essentially giving them no ability to defend their championship.

You simply can't pay a 6 hard fouls big that kind of money.

The Rockets are desperate. They're screwing themselves over long term IMO.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 11:00 AM ----------

If Okafor is healthy he is going too get more than 10-15 minutes per game you are slotting him at Steve.

At the expense of Seraphin though? Seraphin proved he deserves a chance at legit starters minutes last season IMO. Okafor won't take Nene's minutes. Seraphin will be the one who gets short changed. I'd rather not do that just to accommodate Okafor because for all we know, he is only going to be here a year or two.

For the record, I'm not claiming he'll be a bust nor did I say he would be. For the sake of the franchise, I always hope EVERY draft pick becomes an eventual all-star and can propel us back to a championship. But as always with this franchise, I have to take a wait and see approach. I appreciate all the optimism that you guys bring and all the information on him. I've admitted that I wasn't real high on the pick and I understand SG was an area of need, but until I see a full season from him, I will continue to have reservations.

For the record, I'm not claiming he'll be a bust nor did I say he would be. For the sake of the franchise, I always hope EVERY draft pick becomes an eventual all-star and can propel us back to a championship. But as always with this franchise, I have to take a wait and see approach. I appreciate all the optimism that you guys bring and all the information on him. I've admitted that I wasn't real high on the pick and I understand SG was an area of need, but until I see a full season from him, I will continue to have reservations.

I agree with you on the Ray Allen comparison being crazy talk. Someone asked you who made the claim the answer is the basketball media in general and his head coach in college. Here is what Beal had to say about himself:

‘My game is really, I’m an all-around player. I love to get my teammates involved. Comparing myself to somebody else, the way I shoot, I shoot similarly to Ray Allen. And when I drive to the basket, I like to compare myself to Dwyane Wade because we have the same body type or whatever. I like to compare myself to those two guys. I take pride in my defense and I’m a pretty good rebounder at my position.’”
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/06/brad-beal-compares-himself-to-ray-allen-dwyane-wade/

So he's not Ray Allen... He's only the NBAs best shooter when he's pulling up and shooting. He's DWade when he's driving to the basket.

Way to manage expectations Bradley!

as long as we're talking bad comparisons: http://www.eurohopes.com/player/8/tomas-satoransky/

This site compares Satoransky to Derrick Rose.

Been reading about him for the last 20 mins. Love this pic btw, lol

1330029413.jpg

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 11:43 AM ----------

Haha, I love the announcer here. Especially his call at 00:39

And Satoransky won this dunk contest. He's won a couple over in Europe:

Edit:

Steve you see Serphin starting over Okafor? I don't. Unless Seraphin flat out beats Okafor in camp and preseason h should come off th bench. I like that personally, make everyone earn it.

I think Beal should have to beat out Crawford as well (and I might still have him playing 6th man for a while, just to make him work).

It'll be open competition at every position. John is the only player assured of winning any competition, although Nene will start somewhere too.

I think Seraphin has a strong chance of beating out Okafor. Right now, he's our best option at center IMO. But, I agree that Seraphin should have to earn what he gets.

I think Beal has an even stronger chance of beating out Crawford. He played the most minutes on a Florida team with senior and junior guards despite being a freshman. Wittman already loves him. And he's the smart, high motor player that endears himself quickly to the coaches. He'll learn fast and probably play better defense than Crawford by the end of the year. He'll probably take smarter shots than Crawford day one.

I also think it's no lock that Ariza will start at SF either. He's the favorite because of his championship experience and relatively easier competition. But I could see him getting beaten out/losing the starting job at some point during the season.

It'll be open competition at every position. John is the only player assured of winning any competition, although Nene will start somewhere too.

I think Seraphin has a strong chance of beating out Okafor. Right now, he's our best option at center IMO. But, I agree that Seraphin should have to earn what he gets.

I think Beal has an even stronger chance of beating out Crawford. He played the most minutes on a Florida team with senior and junior guards despite being a freshman. Wittman already loves him. And he's the smart, high motor player that endears himself quickly to the coaches. He'll learn fast and probably play better defense than Crawford by the end of the year. He'll probably take smarter shots than Crawford day one.

I also think it's no lock that Ariza will start at SF either. He's the favorite because of his championship experience and relatively easier competition. But I could see him getting beaten out/losing the starting job at some point during the season.

I can easily see SF and C spots changing more than once during the year. Especially at SF, if Wittman gets tired of somebody not hustling (Singleton) or jacking up shots (Ariza), then I can see a switch being made. Center, I can see it moreso as a matchup thing. If Seraphin's not rebounding properly, I can see Okafur getting inserted. Likewise, if Okafur's offense isn't there, I can see more time from Seraphin.

Andray Blatche always talks a big game and says all the right things in interviews. He seems self aware and knows what he has to do moving forward... and then he doesn't do any of it. He self destructs. He will never get it turned around here. For his own sake he should hope he gets amnestied. He'll never change without a change of scenery.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 02:55 PM ----------

I can easily see SF and C spots changing more than once during the year. Especially at SF, if Wittman gets tired of somebody not hustling (Singleton) or jacking up shots (Ariza), then I can see a switch being made. Center, I can see it moreso as a matchup thing. If Seraphin's not rebounding properly, I can see Okafur getting inserted. Likewise, if Okafur's offense isn't there, I can see more time from Seraphin.

That's a good point.

I would like to see Seraphin's rebounding improve. If it doesn't, I think you're right. You have to put Okafor in. Giving up second chances hurts us more than Seraphin's low post offense helps us right now.

We were lucky to get Nene. He's made such a difference in such a short time. He was our leader day one and I love to read about how the young players are just kind of in awe of his veteran demeanor. We would still be completely adrift without him. Looking back, Denver made a bad trade. They panicked on him and gave him away for a potential one year rental of JaVale.

Look at some of the terrible contracts being signed this offseason. Nene for five years at a flat 13 million per year is a bargain. Brendan Haywood makes almost 10 million per year for the same duration. Omar Asik just got what, 8 million a year on average for the next three years? Roy Hibbert is getting maxed out. Lord knows what JaVale would have asked for on the open market. These deals are making Blatche's contract look like good value...

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 03:04 PM ----------

Also, these terrible deals being doled out make me wonder if Blatche actually does have trade value. He's a 25 year old 6'11 scoring big with skills making around 7 to 8 million a year.

If his damn contract wasn't so long, I bet he'd actually bring value back in trade because that is a very cheap dollars amount for that type of player. But because the damn thing is so long, other GMs are probably too afraid to take a risk on him and his (lack of) motor to give anything up for him. They don't want to have to deal with him for the next three years if it doesn't work out.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 03:18 PM ----------

Did anyone else see that Minny tried to trade Derrick Williams for the 2nd overall pick to then flip for Pau Gasol?

I wonder how available DWill is? I wouldn't want to give up Nene for him. And Wall and Beal would be off the table in pretty much any deal. Would anyone here consider trading for DWill? A scoring combo forward like DWill would be a really nice weapon for John Wall.

I'd be afraid any deal for DWill would have to include Nene though. Minny apparently wants a veteran big to complement Kevin Love. After the chemistry Nene built and the effect he had on our young players in just a few months, I would not want to lose him for a sophomore player.

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 03:34 PM ----------

Austin Rivers is like a shorter, quicker Kevin Martin. I don't like the idea of him running point in New Orleans. That offense is going to be stagnant.