Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ernie said Satoransky will stay in Europe for 2 years.

Makes sense to me. I'd honestly rather have the 12th spot taken up by Cartier Martin than a seventh round rookie. Stashing a Euro means we actually might get something out of that pick in time. 2014 is the year we're building for. If he comes in and offers something then, it's a bonus.

Bottom line, relying on a second round pick to fill a need is comical. That guy wasn't making an impact for us this season no matter what. There is nothing we could have done in this round to actually disappoint me.

Barnes has stiff hips and who is going to get him the ball in Golden State?

Barnes's hips is the only thing you keep bringing up like it's some insuperable barrier to NBA success. You and I both know he's a perfect fit in that system.

Jones will be good for OKC, great situation for him. He will be the 7th man after Harden and will ball with no pressure.

Or he'll almost never see the floor. That pick was a flier, nothing more. It's no skin off their nose if nothing comes of it. He'll have to earn everything he gets now and that's not really... his wheelhouse.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 11:07 PM ----------

So happy with the Beal pick, but I knew it was too much to ask for EG to control his stupid for a full 24 hours. Such a stupid pick at 32 with impact players left on the board.

What impact players?

We only really had one spot open which will probably be filled by a cheap shooter like Martin or Mason.

I'm fine with the Euro Stash. We'll have roster spots in 2 years and if we strike silver with this guy, then great. If not, most 2nd rounders don't usually work out but did we really have room to groom another young player?

Edited by SuperBash

Just left. The crowd reaction to our last pick was hilarious. Wish my phone wasn't dead so I couldve recorded it

I am beat. I thought it was like midnight I left. Awesome, awesome time though. Saw some awesome **** and met some awesome people (including groupies, lol). Just a cool experience.

Barnes's hips is the only thing you keep bringing up like it's some insuperable barrier to NBA success. You and I both know he's a perfect fit in that system.

I keep bringing it up because he is not a fluid player. THat stuff matters in getting separation from these 6'8" athletic freaks that play on the perimeter in the NBA. And he has suspect handles.

What system does Golden State run? They chuck that ball. Barnes will get a lot of shots. He has a chance to do something, but he wont get the ball where he likes it like at UNC. They dont have a real point guard.

Or he'll almost never see the floor. That pick was a flier, nothing more. It's no skin off their nose if nothing comes of it. He'll have to earn everything he gets now and that's not really... his wheelhouse.

OKC has no offensive talent on the bench after Harden. In fact they only have 3 scorers on that team. He is going to get a lot of minutes and you are going to look very wrong.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

Just left. The crowd reaction to our last pick was hilarious. Wish my phone wasn't dead so I couldve recorded it

I am beat. I thought it was like midnight I left. Awesome, awesome time though. Saw some awesome **** and met some awesome people (including groupies, lol). Just a cool experience.

Massive booing or what??

I keep bringing it up because he is not a fluid player. THat stuff matters in getting separation from these 6'8" athletic freaks that play on the perimeter in the NBA. And he has suspect handles.

What system does Golden State run? They chuck that ball. Barnes will get a lot of shots. He has a chance to do something, but he wont get the ball where he likes it like at UNC. They dont have a real point guard.

Barnes has no problem creating space for himself. It's a strength of his. He's no more stiff than Danny Granger or Luol Deng are.

Barnes will thrive in an up tempo system where he gets to camp out around the line and get to shoot open mid to long range jumpers all day in GS. They space the floor as well as anyone and it plays right into his offensive wheelhouse.

OKC has no offensive talent on the bench after Harden. In fact they only have 3 scorers on that team. He is going to get a lot of minutes and you are going to look very wrong.

He'll only get a lot of minutes if he actually earns them. I have no faith in his ability/drive to do so on a loaded team like OKC.

Since when has the low IQ/no motor talent ever been a bad bet to fail in the NBA? I'd bet I'm right and you're wrong. I bet he doesn't even meet the low expectations of "long term productive role player off the bench."

We only really had one spot open which will probably be filled by a cheap shooter like Martin or Mason.

I'm fine with the Euro Stash. We'll have roster spots in 2 years and if we strike silver with this guy, then great. If not, most 2nd rounders don't usually work out but did we really have room to groom another young player?

My sentiments exactly.

I would have gotten behind a Quincy Miller or Doron Lamb pick but my expectations were 0 for the second rounder. They weren't making any kind of contribution any time soon. Beal might not even make a contribution next year.

Barnes has no problem creating space for himself. It's a strength of his. He's no more stiff than Danny Granger or Luol Deng are.

Barnes will thrive in an up tempo system where he gets to camp out around the line and get to shoot open mid to long range jumpers all day in GS. They space the floor as well as anyone and it plays right into his offensive wheelhouse.

Granger is a lot more fluid than Barnes. And comparing him to Deng? A not very good offensive player? cool.

He'll only get a lot of minutes if he actually earns them. I have no faith in his ability/drive to do so on a loaded team like OKC.

Since when has the low IQ/no motor talent ever been a bad bet to fail in the NBA? I'd bet I'm right and you're wrong. I bet he doesn't even meet the low expectations of "long term productive role player off the bench."

I think every NBA player has to earn their minutes, so you arent saying anything there.

And I question if Jones has a low bball IQ. I really think a lot of the problems he had were down to the clown coaching at Baylor. And now with Durant and Westbrook in his ear, plus going 30th in the draft, I think he is going to be a good player off their bench.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

Massive booing or what??

It was only like 1/10th of the original crowd left. If that. Only the hardest of the hardcore. We were all waiting for that 2nd round pick and I'm sure everyone was as beat as I felt/feel. So they announce we're on the clock and everyone cheers. Then they announce the pick. I think the first sound was me laughing my ass off as soon as I heard the first syllable in dudes name. By the end of his first name, the whole place is going nuts booing.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Why did Hollis Thompson leave early again?

With Clark and Sims gone he would've been the Hoyas go to guy and leading scorer for sure. His draft position would've improved tremendously. Now he might not get drafted.

Hollis graduated and felt it was time to move on.

He was aware that he might not be drafted.

---------- Post added June-29th-2012 at 03:33 AM ----------

Mike Prada ‏@MikePradaSBN

Wizards already had 12 guys under contract. Eight are on rookie contracts. Not a surprise they draft-and-stashed

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Hollis graduated and felt it was time to move on.

He was aware that he might not be drafted.

He graduated? Like he got his degree already? He was a junior though and had one year left.

Whatever the case he'll get an invite somewhere. I'm sure he'll tear it up in Turkey or something. I got nothing but love for him. Wish he would've come back though I bet he would've tore it up this year and the Hoyas would have a better chance in the tournament. They blow it every year but hey...

It is a waste of a pick but expected. There was no way Ernie could screw up the 3rd pick as he did with the 6th pick last year so most of us were joking that he would grab the latest blue eyed, jump shot challenged Euro in the 2nd round and gasp he did.

It's a waste because when 2014 comes around we will still be a lottery team but hopefully with a credible GM running things and purging the failed projects

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 11:19 PM ----------

LOL what's with the histrionics guys? It's a second round pick in the NBA draft. You all realize these picks are worth exactly nothing and have like a -28% hit rate right?

There are second rounders in this draft that are better than last years 6th rounder, have more commitment than Andrea Blatche.

People are worked up because they expect their GM to attempt to put a credible team together that you would spend money to watch and not leave the Verizon center feeling like you were violated.

So halfway through the first round i figured I would make a smart ass comment about us drafting an unheard of European project player with our 2nd pick.

Not knowing any off the top of my head at all, I go to my trusted google and type in "2012 international nba draft"

I click on this site - http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/05/09/early-entry-nba-draft-international-prospects/

I randomly scroll down until i get to the first name I don't recognize at all and seems perfectly Wizard - Tomas Satoransky.

I then head to ES to type a post like "Can't wait to draft Tomas Satoranky!" and my wife tells me that to turn off the computer and that she has been waiting for me to go to dinner for an hour. I abandon the post, shut it down and head out.

Sitting at the restaurant an hour later I look up and the Wizards are on the clock. Boom. Satoransky. I just started laughing uncontrollably in the restaurant. :ols:

I know this is a completely weird and uninteresting story for you all reading this, but it was such a fantastically awful moment for me that i had to share with someone who understood . . . my wife did not get it.

Edited by Duckus

^ Classic.

We suck so bad at everything. I am betting Satoransky never sees a minute on the floor as a member of the Wizards. I'd be willing to bet with anyone if they wanna wager a friendly $20 or something.

I already made that bet lol. God we are a joke lol

---------- Post added June-29th-2012 at 01:29 AM ----------

"The backup to American guard Earl Calloway, Satoransky plays a somewhat limited role for Sevilla, often being asked to just bring the ball up the floor, hand it off to a teammate, and then move to the corner and see how the offense develops."

He barely played...at all. How was he even on ppl's radar?

This team didn't have space for another rookie. And whoever we would have drafted would have rode the bench all year and likely wouldn't get a lot of burn in practice. I don't mind draft and stash in Europe.

If Bradley Beal doesn't pan out, this team is doomed. I think we drafted a role player with last years lottery pick so Beal has to be the other star player next to Wall. I'm happy that at least he seems like a tough and hard working kid. You can teach skill, but you can't teach a high motor.

Edited by No Excuses