Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

SVG is a solid coach but he'll wear on you. He's the kind of coach who players can only deal with for a few years.

Which is why he's consistently ranked as the most hated coach.

He has a proven track record of being a winning coach, also someone who has coached deep into the playoffs. Players liking him isn't that high on my list.

He has a proven track record of being a winning coach, also someone who has coached deep into the playoffs. Players liking him isn't that high on my list.

Players liking him may not be high on your list but it's high on mine.

No point in having a coach that wears out his welcome.

And when I say "like him", I don't mean that they have to love him but it's not good for the team concept to have a coach that's hated either.

Not picking sides in this, just thinking: who was the last NBA coach who was "hated"by his players and also won a title?

Btw, I think Whitman is still an option. I just think he's the backup plan. If they don't get someone they love, instead of settling for some other guy, they'll bring back Whitman, who they at least already know.

Not picking sides in this, just thinking: who was the last NBA coach who was "hated"by his players and also won a title?

That is a difficult question. There are only a few different teams who have won in the past 2 decades first off. Most of the time, the teams that have won very rarely have a player who would openly come out and trash their coach. They just won! You might have a player here or there that might be angry with them. But more often than not, this doesnt happen. Winning cures everything.

How did the Pistons feel about Larry Brown after he won in Detroit? He only lasted 1 more year, and they didnt really start dismantling that team until later on.

They'll probably stick with Wittman

The other options aren't that appealing

Yes because Wittman is the definition of appealing.

We keep the same GM, & the coach who everybody saw as a placeholder until a meaningless winning streak to end the season.

How far does anyone expect to go with Wittman?

I would rather make the move now and have our main guy going forward than repeating this same song and dance next season.

Yes because Wittman is the definition of appealing.

We keep the same GM, & the coach who everybody saw as a placeholder until a meaningless winning streak to end the season.

How far does anyone expect to go with Wittman?

I would rather make the move now and have our main guy going forward than repeating this same song and dance next season.

X2 Whitman is not a good coach period. What was his record with the Wiz? What was his record before the Wiz?

He may be a nice guy the players like but this team needs a hardass to install discipline sets on offense and defense. Even if SVG got fired after 3-4 years he would get this group playing the right way and would have organized sets instead of the BS we run now. I would'nt mind Budenholzer either Pops right hand man.

X2 Whitman is not a good coach period. What was his record with the Wiz? What was his record before the Wiz?

He may be a nice guy the players like but this team needs a hardass to install discipline sets on offense and defense. Even if SVG got fired after 3-4 years he would get this group playing the right way and would have organized sets instead of the BS we run now. I would'nt mind Budenholzer either Pops right hand man.

Budenholzer is my top choice actually.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/pick-and-roll/2012/05/wizards-receive-zero-nba-all-rookie-votes/641701

The Wizards didn't do so well in NBA all-rookie voting. Jan Vesely, Chris Singleton and Shelvin Mack combined for zero votes while Cleveland point guard Kyrie Irving picked up one more honor, earning the most first-place votes. The only first-team member still in action is San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard.

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (first place votes in parentheses):

Markieff Morris, Phoenix, 7 (1); Kemba Walker, Charlotte 7; Alec Burks, Utah 2; Norris Cole, Miami 2; Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte 2; Enes Kanter, Utah 1; Greg Stiemsma, Boston 1; Gustavo Ayon, New Orleans 1; Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 1.

Vesely got no love whatsoever.

How about Jerry Sloan to coach the Wiz? Our young players could use a strong system from a coach that has a proven track record. Doesn't matter to me how old he is.

I heard about that on the radio today. The only way I would accept this is if we have him groom a replacement if he is here. Of course this is all dependent on this idiot Grunfield. :doh: Man I wish this idiot would leave....

How about Jerry Sloan to coach the Wiz? Our young players could use a strong system from a coach that has a proven track record. Doesn't matter to me how old he is.

I see that as a real possibility if we land Anthony Davis. I think Sloan would love to coach Wall/Davis.

I would love to have him here, but I would expect he'll have better options if he wants to coach again.

I'm thinking 3rd.

I think we get the first overall pick. John Wall has proven marketable and our market is bigger than Charlotte and New Orleans. I don't think Sloan comes here though, again coaches that hold players accountable wont join Ernie. I think we keep Wittman and endure another year of the guard green light offense.

I would drive a truck of money up to Sloan's house with two questions. #1. Will you coach this team? #2. Will you hire and assistant to groom to takeover whenever you're ready?

I think the new coach is either SVG or one of the coaches still coaching like Budenholzer or even Shaw who I don't want especially if he comes with the triangle. If it was Sloan,McMillian,Joerger or even Whittman they would have announced it already. I personally love Sloans discipline offensive sets but don't believe he is the guy.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-05-23/nba-draft-2012-thomas-robinson-anthony-davis-draft-lottery-date

Anthony Davis is sure to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft on June 28, no matter which teams wins the draft lottery next Wednesday. At least that’s what everyone thinks. Everyone, that is, except for Kansas forward Thomas Robinson.

“I think I’m very capable of being the number one pick,” Robinson told HoopsWorld at a private workout on Tuesday. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis, he’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the number one pick.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-05-23/nba-draft-2012-thomas-robinson-anthony-davis-draft-lottery-date#ixzz1vjoHP9Hz

https://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

My annual draft workout tour begins today at Joe Abunassar's Impact Basketball in Las Vegas. Dion Waiters & Hollis Thompson 1st up

Waiters and Hollis Thompson both looked great this morning. Waiters always in attack mode. Thompson shot lights out

Next up @impactbball Justin Hamilton, Xavier Gibson, Ashton Gibbs

If Xavier Gibson played like he worked out today, he'd be a first round pick. Tons of talent there, but no motor at Florida State

I just have a good feeling about Vesely. He is a hard working dude that will put in the effort. He is a great piece for this franchise.

Totally agree. He gets the game too, which is probably the element that kills most careers early. Just needs to work on the body and the shot.

Listening to laker fan on talk radio... Can I propose something crazy:

1) John Wall straight up for Andrew Bynum:

Why? Everyone is sold on Wall developing into a superstar, similar to jerk Wade or Chris Paul. After two seasons we should expect a jump in season 3... is Wall surrounded by similar talent? Paul had Peja and David West... Wade was carrying the load with Shaq. If Wall plateau's next season he'll start to be disappointing, but there's no guarantee. While enamored with Dwight Howard, it's unclear that Howard will want to come to the Lakers. They clearly want to shake up the roster, and Bynum's immaturity has rubbed the wrong way on folks in LA (I know, let's bring in a somewhat flaky big man, at least he seems competent on the court). Bynum is a force when he gets the ball low. *Bonus* bring in Brian Shaw to coach him, since B. Shaw (and Rambis) worked with Bynum in LA. Currently Bynum is more productive on the court and you can't coach size.

2) Sign Steve Nash to play PG. We need someone to distribute to our big men. I wouldn't mind a run at Dragic.

3) Hold onto draft pick. Whoever it is won't be called into start right away, we'll have upgraded our talent.

Nash/Mack

Crawford/Mason

Vesely/Singleton

Nene/Singleton

Bynum/Seraphin

Booker

Rotation doesn't include beast of a draft pick. Not even sure that type of deal would be possible with our salary cap number and if Steve Nash is interested in DC (probably not, unfortunately).