Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

oh yeah...I think you guys will find this amusing.

:ols:

Ha I had no idea he did that. Does he do that all the time? I think some of those could be called self-passes...guess you have to lose your dribble first before it becomes a self-pass. Kind of funny.

NBA.com Wizards Top 10 plays of 2011-12

Play I really wanted to see again was the sick Vesely alley-opp dunk to layup... and too much McGee and Young in these highlights as well, but its not like we can just blot them out of team history... although I'll be following how they play in the playoffs.

Wall is a freak. My favorite play of his was the and one alley oop over Marc Gasol.

Fine for "this" particular team, but eventually I want a team that wins 50 games a year and competes for a top seed. Not the garbage we had with both versions of the "Big 3" in the late 90s and mid 2000s. Eventually, we as fans need to stop "settling" for 42-40 records with a #7 or #8 seed. For next year, I'd take 40 wins as this year equated to about 26 wins in a regular 82 game season.

And?

I understand that in the grand scheme of an nba season, 6, or 11 or 22 games don't amount to much. But it does show improvement. I think its way to early to start predicting next season's record, but it (the article I mention, and the optimism amongst the fans) gives light to the idea that this team (as constructed on April 29, 2012) is a much better team than the one that started the year off. How many victories will that amount to in the 12-13 season (assuming the world doesn't end on 12-21-12), I don't know. But I'm pretty optimistic that this rebuild is going well, particularly with Wittman replacing Flip, and even more with Nene replacing McGee/Young and with the emergence of Seraphin and Vesely.

Yeah I've been saying that for a while about McGee. The only defense he knows of is shot blocking. He is a one trick pony on defense and for the most part on offense with dunking, save for some really athletic layups.

Edited by SuperBash

Going to be funny to see what teams offer McGee this offseason.

Dude is a turnstile at best defensively.

14 million a year!!!

Hahaha

Nick Young 10 point on 3 shots... Wtf?!

Btw - Nene for Harden if the Thunder fail to reach the finals. If they get bounced its because the have no interior scoring. Nene fixes that and makes them better than Harden.

Edited by Destino

Man, we kind of have a similar situation to what Memphis went through in a lot of ways.

One of their players said that he remembers when they were just trying to get to 25 wins. I thought we kind of were too and I thought about comparing what we have. Marc Gasol and Nene are pretty even when healthy. Craw can eventually match Mayo. Conely and Wall are close but Conely can shoot. We just need a strong Wing and a few more years of experience and we can be a threatening team in the playoffs in the East.

Right on, goskins. Obviously we have a way to go, but I was going to post something after the trade about how we're following the Griz formula rather than the Thunder formula.

Nene and Gasol are very similar. Big men that can be physical but also have good hands and touch around the basket. I believe Seraphin can be a player similar to ZBo with worse handles and a bit less range. What we're really missing is a swing man that can do everything well (but isn't a super star) like Gay. It's the primary reason I see us going with MKG or Beal in the draft.

Nene isn't as good as Gasol and Seraphin isn't in the same planet as Zbo right now. We also don't have anyone who can score as effectively as Gay. I do think Wall is better than Conley though(trade the two and the Grizzlies are probably a 2 seed in the West).

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/big-board-small-forwards/index.html

Kidd-Gilchrist's intangibles have scouts pining away for him

What makes Kidd-Gilchrist's ascension even more dramatic is the fact that he was neither a great shooter (he was a ghastly 25.5 percent from 3-point range) nor scorer (11.9 points per game, third on the team) in his one season in Lexington. He was a good-but-not-great rebounder, and he didn't add many assists or blocked shots.

But MKG is beloved by NBA scouts for a simple reason: he plays hard. His path to the pros is his relentlessness. Playing hard, as I'll say for the billionth time, is a skill.

"He's not overly vertical," said a Pacific Division executive of Kidd-Gilchrist, "but he plays the whole game. He plays all aspects of the game. He's a tough, tough minded kid."

That gives MKG the nod among every NBA personnel person I spoke with over Barnes. Teams both in and out of the lottery concurred that one thing a rebuilding team has to have is someone who'll challenge young teammates to play harder.

"As I study this thing more," said a GM whose team will not be in the lottery, "those players that are not energy guys, the Ray Allens of the world who are steady -- and I don't know who Barnes is going to be -- players like Gilchrist have more of an effect on your team, depending on who you are. Barnes is going to help the Celtics and the Heat, teams like that. Those kind of guys, bringing those guys to a young team, you have to deal with trying to find energy, trying to find what makes the guy go, trying to make the guy more aggressive ... when you have to try and get the guy going every freaking day, it's like another job."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

14 million a year!!!

Hahaha

Nick Young 10 point on 3 shots... Wtf?!

Btw - Nene for Harden if the Thunder fail to reach the finals. If they get bounced its because the have no interior scoring. Nene fixes that and makes them better than Harden.

Fascinating idea. I think it could pay off for both teams. But I have a couple of questions with that move:

1.) What do we do about center? Play Seraphin all of Nene's projected minutes? This actually doesn't seem that bad after Seraphin's late season success. But I think trading Nene turns a deep front line into a fairly thin one. We'd be in big trouble if Seraphin got hurt or regressed. It'd also be a shame to lose Nene's veteran presence as soon as we got it. There would be some chemistry issues to tinker with.

2.) What's Harden's role here? What's his contract going to look like? I don't want to pay Harden the same kind of money Nene is making since he's a 6th man back court shooter. Does he stay in the sixth man role here? That's where he's been best in OKC. But I don't think we've got the luxury of not starting him if he's here.

If you find good answers to those two questions, then the deal could be beneficial because it gives us cap room and a player who isn't likely to miss as many games as Nene does. If Harden signs a long term extension beforehand, that could make this deal even more valuable. If the answer is to play Harden at the 3 and then draft someone like Drummond to fill out the front court, that could work for me.

If the answer is to play Harden at the 3 and then draft someone like Drummond to fill out the front court, that could work for me.

If the Wiz didn't play Nick Young at the three then I sure don't expect Harden (who is barely 6-5) to play that position.

Harden is a SG with some playmaking skills. A better Jordan Crawford.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Michael Lee via WP

John Wall will focus his ability to control the tempo, studying the likes of Tony Parker and Chris Paul.

“Those two, him and Chris Paul, in the playoffs, they are very in control of their team and they are smart type point guards that pick [you] apart throughout the whole game,” said Wall.

Wall's speed is arguably his biggest strength, but controlling the pace and tempo is what often separates the good point guards from the great ones.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/220841/Wall_Spending_Offseason_Studying_Tempo#ixzz1tkutGhyD

If any of you just watched the Knicks debacle tonight, Mike Woodson left his stamp on the game (and was part of the reason he got canned in ATL). No adjustments and little-to-no creativity on offense. Is this what we want?

That is part of the reason why I posted earlier that I'm skeptical of him.

I'm completely against bringing in retreads. Give someone like Dave Joerger a shot. Just like how Tom T. got his shot with the Bulls.

But I totally expect Ernie to make the lazy move of hiring a known name.