Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Many are upset over Ernie's extension, but I honestly think a lot of the heat he takes is unwarranted. Ted Leonsis clearly stated that Ernie will be evaluated based on what he’s done since Ted took over as owner. The shrewd trades he’s executed (namely the Hinrich deal in which he played the cap situation), the way he has changed the culture of the team by bringing in high motor big men (remember when that was such a problem?), and the way he has set us up for the future has been rather impressive.

I wrote about this more extensively on Wiz of Awes, highly suggest you guys check it out.

http://wizofawes.com/2012/04/24/supporting-ernie-grunfelds-extension/

Found an article that I found both interesting, and if true, infuriating. A few snippets:

That blame game is the most startling thing about this tenure. There are all the behind the scenes stories – how he came into an offseason meeting this year and declared they had to give Nick Young a full mid-level exception, to the bewilderment of his staff. How JaVale McGee came and asked him for a big man coach, and Grunfeld said he could have one if he paid for it himself. The many times Grunfeld went behind Eddie Jordan or Flip Saunders back when they tried to reign in Grunfeld’s pets Arenas and Blatche. The times you’d watch players ******* around at practice despite lengthy losing streaks, and Grunfeld standing there ******* around the same way.

But it’s the blaming. When they started losing, first he blamed Eddie Jordan. Then after one of the worst trades in draft day history, he blamed Abe Pollin and the “mandate we were under,” although I guess if you’re that desperate, the recently deceased is a nice person to blame for your failures. Then it was Caron Butler, who rightly thrashed until he was traded away from this abomination of a franchise. Then Gilbert Arenas and the gun incident, which make no mistake, was fostered, aided, and abetted by years of coddling by Ernie Grunfeld himself. Flip Saunders got the finger pointed at him next, and now Andray Blatche is up. Moving these people out isn’t Grunfeld rebuilding the franchise, which is he somehow being given credit for. It’s rifling through more people to blame so he can keep his job with minimal effort.

Rest is at http://jayglassie.com/2012/04/24/the-last-straw/ here if you're interested. Love the Wizards but this extension really disappoints me. I won't go into next season with nearly as much excitement as I otherwise would.

Edited by mmzznnxx

That's a GREAT write up. I'm so disappointed by this extension, I can't explain. I was calling for his firing right before we drafted Wall.

We had a chance to completely start fresh but Ted took the ***** way out. He did it again. He has absolutely no guts at all. For shame.

Wow.. that read was brutal. I admittedly had real hope when Ted bought this team. But, with EG's extension i have no faith anymore. Even if we do get the top pick this year, i just cant see Wall staying here. He looks miserable. Other players on miserable teams feel bad for him. If i were him i would turn down the max contract that will inevitably be thrown at him and go somewhere else where he can thrive. At which point EG will throw him under the bus just as he has done everyone else.

Hornets won. EG will get a top 5 pick and the 2nd best odds in the draft to buy him more time. (as if a decade isn't enough)

The man is rewarded for assembling a team that is saved from being the sports laughing stock by the Charlotte Bobcats. All that development he's been talking about, and its only good enough to be the 2nd worst team in the league.

I just hope they bar Ernie from attending Perry Jones' workouts. He'll fall in love with the length & athleticism.

Edited by StillUnknown

The man is rewarded for assembling a team that is saved from being the sports laughing stock by the Charlotte Bobcats. All that development he's been talking about, and its only good enough to be the 2nd worst team in the league.

19-63

26-56

23-59

18-46

We haven't even heard how long his contract is yet. I couldn't be more disappointed with Ted.

If Ernie wants Blatche wants to have trade value, what do you expect Ernie to say? Does anyone think twice after reading a comment from a GM?

That's what I got from the quote as well. Can't flat out say we're going to amnesty the guy. Bottom line, Blatche will NOT be on the roster next year. Grunfeld will probably try his hardest to trade him before the draft (maybe take on a bad contract just to get him out). If that doesn't work, he's amnestied.

What do you think about a Blatche for Odom swap? Do you think Dallas would go for it? Since the Odom thing blew up in their faces, they MAY be enamored w. Blatche's "versatility" and see him as a reclamation project and someone who can help off the bench. I'm not sure if the salaries match up (because I haven't checked), but they'd probably be desperate to rid themselves of Odom and ship him off to anywhere but So.Cal. LOL.

Edited by RonArtest15

That's what I got from the quote as well. Can't flat out say we're going to amnesty the guy. Bottom line, Blatche will NOT be on the roster next year. Grunfeld will probably try his hardest to trade him before the draft (maybe take on a bad contract just to get him out). If that doesn't work, he's amnestied.

What do you think about a Blatche for Odom swap? Do you think Dallas would go for it? Since the Odom thing blew up in their faces, they MAY be enamored w. Blatche's "versatility" and see him as a reclamation project and someone who can help off the bench. I'm not sure if the salaries match up (because I haven't checked), but they'd probably be desperate to rid themselves of Odom and ship him off to anywhere by So.Cal. LOL.

A D.C. Kardashian show could work for E!...

Any of you guys really expect Blatche to be bought out? I think he's traded or he stays on this team. Ernie loves having a hated player around to take attention and Ted isn't big on wasting money.

Ted isn't big on wasting money, but he also paid Michael Nylander to stay away from the Caps.

I highly doubt Blatche is on the roster when the 2012-13 season starts.

I actually think Blatche puts attention ON Ernie

Yup...because that signing was Ernie's doing.

Between McGee/Young/Blatche, AB's contract is harder to move because of how horrible of a player he is. The "out" we have is the amnesty clause. Grunfeld, IMO, will do all he can to move Blatche via trade. Even if we have to take on additional salary...it would be addition by subtraction. He's (hopefully) learned his lesson with McGee and Young. There is NO point in keeping Blatche on this roster going forward. He's a toxic personality and is no good for the morale of this team. The sooner he's gone, the better. We need to wash our hands completely of Blatche. He's arguably the most loathed athlete in recent memory here in DC.

Blatche has zero trade value. Better of just buying him out which I think is a possibility.

He has less than zero trade value. Nobody's trying to trade for a mentally weak, fat piece of ****.

The only possible way to move him in a trade would be to take on a horrible contract in return. Why do that when we can just amnesty him and be done?

Edited by StillUnknown