Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

we could trade Nene if need be he's not a hard player to trade..

This is the wizards, where we can take attractive players and destroy their reputation with ease so they are worth nothing in any trade. I wouldnt hold out hope for Nene should he play less than stellar.

Us Wizard fans are so pessimistic. I like this trade. There's an old cliche they say about folks when they die.... "it was his time". For Nick Young, and Javale McGee, it was their time to move on. No matter what happens to them, whether they see greatness or mediocrity, whether one turns into an all-defensive center or the other a consistent shooter... it was their time. They had their time while here on the Wizards, made the best of it... so I thank them for wearing the uniform, and rooted for them to succeed... but it was their time.

I sometimes wonder about that.... would the Wizards who became Pistons and the core of their championship teams have become great if they'd stayed here? I think the complaints we have about Nick Young are very similar to the ones I heard about Rip Hamilton. I don't watch enough NBA to know if that comparison is fair. I also remember hearing tons of maturity complaints about Rasheed... although may be more Blatche than McGee.

Regardless, would those three have matured into great players in Washington and similarly led us or was there something missing that they could only get elsewhere?

JaVale and NY were never going to become great players here. They needed a change of scenery bad--go to a veteran laden team, keep their mouths shut, be glad for their minutes off the bench.

Here they were the veterans. That's completely untenable.

I think having them stick around would have kept Wall from becoming a great player too.

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 07:24 AM ----------

Paul is the star in LAC.

Clippers

2010-2011 32-59 (.390)

2011-2012 24-17 (.585)

New Orleans

2010-2011 46-36 (.561)

2011-2012 10-34 (.227)

Not as insane as Cleveland's first to worst experience with Lebron but not subtle either. True "star" players have a massive impact in wins and losses.

Which is why we need to start winning with Wall sooner rather than later. Getting rid of NY and swapping JaVale for Nene should help that.

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 07:47 AM ----------

Did you see the end of the Uconn game? Lamb completely pulled a McGee. I really hope we don't get him.

'He's a loser. It'd be such a shame, after getting rid of McGee and NY, to get the player who is the combination of both. He's one of the few choices that would truly piss me off.

Drummond... I don't know. Kwame Brown lite? I want to write him off but he plays hard from time to time and flashes that ridiculous potential making me think he still has a chance. He just doesn't have a clue. He shouldn't have left high school early and he shouldn't leave for the NBA early. But staying in the sinking ship that is UConn basketball isn't a good situation either...

My instinct is to stay away from him. I'd also stay away from Perry Jones, and I don't really like Barnes that much any more. Not with a top five pick in this year's class anyway. Too Luol Deng for me: A nice player that will never be great and needs to be in a complimentary position to look decent.

Right now my wish list is:

1.) Anthony Davis - winner, huge IQ, good fit, elite talent

2.) MKG - ditto

3.) Thomas Robinson - ditto

[big drop]

4.) Sully - overachiever, high IQ, fits well, good not great talent but comfortable leading a team and has a clear NBA position

5.) Brad Beal - ditto + fills a need as a quality off ball guard

6.) Barnes - underachiever, moderate ceiling, lacks physicality like the entire UNC team, clear NBA position though, fills a need, has offensive polish, defends well.

7.) Austin Rivers - a little too ball dominant and slightly undersized but very high I.Q., tons of offensive skills, great ball handler, solid defensive potential

8.) Quincy Miller - hopefully still untainted by Baylor's wildly inconsistent, underachieving way; huge talent but probably needs to stay in school for another season

9.) McAdoo - also needs to stay in school another year but feels like a quality starter at worst.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get one of the first six guys on that list. Hopefully it's one of the top three, and hopefully it's Davis.

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 07:49 AM ----------

Any idea what euros we should be looking out for? This time of year it's all NCAA but euros always break in to the top of the draft.

Evan Fournier is the only one I can think of. I doubt a foreigner goes in the lottery. Combination of a really strong NCAA crop and last year's strong international crop clearing out the ranks of top Euro prospects.

I sometimes wonder about that.... would the Wizards who became Pistons and the core of their championship teams have become great if they'd stayed here? I think the complaints we have about Nick Young are very similar to the ones I heard about Rip Hamilton.

Rip was better all way around

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

I sometimes wonder about that.... would the Wizards who became Pistons and the core of their championship teams have become great if they'd stayed here?

No. As long as we have a dysfunctional front office, we will be a dysfunctional franchise.

We need a real GM and a real coach.

Paul is the star in LAC.

Clippers

2010-2011 32-59 (.390)

2011-2012 24-17 (.585)

New Orleans

2010-2011 46-36 (.561)

2011-2012 10-34 (.227)

Not as insane as Cleveland's first to worst experience with Lebron but not subtle either. True "star" players have a massive impact in wins and losses.

No doubt Paul is a Star, but so is Griffin. He has put up historically good numbers in his first two years. 20-10 for a first year PF is ridiculous.

PGs have the ability to have a larger effect on their team because a star PG makes everyone around him better. So I'm not arguing with you that Paul is a star and that he's made a huge positive impact, but if you are implying that Blake Griffin isn't a star, I have to disagree with you there.

I sometimes wonder about that.... would the Wizards who became Pistons and the core of their championship teams have become great if they'd stayed here? I think the complaints we have about Nick Young are very similar to the ones I heard about Rip Hamilton. I don't watch enough NBA to know if that comparison is fair. I also remember hearing tons of maturity complaints about Rasheed... although may be more Blatche than McGee.

Regardless, would those three have matured into great players in Washington and similarly led us or was there something missing that they could only get elsewhere?

Rasheed was a great player, just immature. I wasn't a fan of his trade, but it was more a "character for non-character" type of trade if I remember. Didn't they trade Rasheed after his rookie season as well?

I don't get why Hamilton was traded either.

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 08:43 AM ----------

I'll never really understand or appreciate how difficult being a professional athlete is either. I look at Javale McGee, and think "why can't he improve defensively!?". The same vein, I remember Jim Mcilvaine thinking "why can't he improve offensively!?". Just think of the beast player you could have with McGee's offense (well 3-5 foot from the basket and dunks) with McIlvaine's defense! If you want to know why McGee is going to get paid, just remember McIlvaine... he got a huge contract for a defensive minded center!

Anthony Davis = beast mode tonight. Cruised to a win, 16 points, 9 rebounds, 7 blocks. 3 assists, 1 steal, 5/8 from field and 6/8 from the line.

Perry Jones = meh, invisible on the offensive end with only 2 points but he did get 11 rebounds. The difference in his quality versus Davis' is tremendous.

Uconn is getting worked. Drummond has 2 points and 3 rebounds. Lamb has 13 points on 4 of 11 shooting. Losers.

Sully isn't shooting well tonight but he still has 12 points and 6 rebounds and Ohio State is firmly in control right now at the half.

After that Baylor game, I don't know if I could bring myself to draft Jones at any point in the first round. How do you not show up in an NCAA tourney game?

Sully works really really hard. I also think he is going to get his shot blocked five times a game in the pros. He reminds me an awful lot of Big Baby since they both seem nailed to the floor.

After that Baylor game' date=' I don't know if I could bring myself to draft Jones at any point in the first round. How do you not show up in an NCAA tourney game?

Sully works really really hard. I also think he is going to get his shot blocked five times a game in the pros. He reminds me an awful lot of Big Baby since they both seem nailed to the floor.[/quote']

Jones' stock has really plummeted this year...he should have came out last year. I'd take him in the mid-late 1st round, but probably not in the top 10.

Sullinger is not going to be a good in the NBA....he will no longer be a man among boys and he isn't very quick or athletic either.

After that Baylor game' date=' I don't know if I could bring myself to draft Jones at any point in the first round. How do you not show up in an NCAA tourney game?

Sully works really really hard. I also think he is going to get his shot blocked five times a game in the pros. He reminds me an awful lot of Big Baby since they both seem nailed to the floor.[/quote']

Sometimes I wonder if PJIII even likes playing basketball. His body language is off. He doesn't play with passion. He doesn't seem that competitive. He reads like a guy who is only playing because he was born with the tools to dominate the sport at every level and it's expected of him. I get the feeling he'd rather be good at something else if he had the choice.

Sully will be alright in the NBA. Big Baby is one comparison but Big Baby was nowhere near as good and and productive offensively as Sully when he came out. There is a long list of NBA players who've found success with a skillset similar to Sully--Al Jefferson, Luis Scola, Paul Milsap, even Kevin Love to some extent. I see a lot of Jefferson in Sully's game. These are good players who no one would be ashamed to have as their starting PF.

Taller Trevor Bookers.

You can go very far in college by being strong and absolutely relentless. In the NBA' date=' strong and relentless means that a goofball like Javale sends your shot into the sixth row.[/quote']

Sullinger is like 280 some odd pounds with the biggest base (read:ass) in college basketball. He'll be able to back NBA players down with ease just like he does in college. His motor and IQ translates too. He'll learn to win with creativity and finesse for lacking length and be alright.

Sullinger is like 280 some odd pounds with the biggest base (read:ass) in college basketball. He'll be able to back NBA players down with ease just like he does in college. His motor and IQ translates too. He'll learn to win with creativity and finesse for lacking length and be alright.

Wasn't that going to be the way that Sean May became a star?

I know May had injury issues, but I dunno.

15 years ago, I would be on board. Now, the league is loaded with power forwards who run and jump like guards.

He'll defintely need to be in the right system.

Brandon Bass is another guy with a similar skillset and build.

You can be a 6'8ish PF in the NBA now because the floor is so much more spaced out than it used to be in the 90's and the early 2000's. Especially if you can run and score in transition.

---------- Post added March-16th-2012 at 02:08 PM ----------

Wasn't that going to be the way that Sean May became a star?

I know May had injury issues' date=' but I dunno.[/quote']

To me they're of a pretty different caliber. Sullinger was the #2 HS recruit and the HS player of the year and won championships in HS then came and was an instant star as a freshman at Ohio State. I don't think May was like that.

I'm still not sold on the idea of Anthony Davis being a star NBA player. If he could shoot lights out or had an amazing inside game maybe I'd be more convinced but he has neither. This draft was supposed to be amazing but I'm not seeing the can't miss stars at the top of this draft.

x2 not only that but his face up jumper is legit and he has been nailing 3 balls this year. He is a very good screen and roll player who can also score in the post. Sully jumpers and rebounding will make him a very good player year 1. I don't think he will be a dominant all star but he will average about what he does in college especially in the NBA being more wide open and pick&roll.

If we don't get #1 I like Barnes, Sully, MKG, Lamb and Beal in that order.

x2 not only that but his face up jumper is legit and he has been nailing 3 balls this year. He is a very good screen and roll player who can also score in the post. Sully jumpers and rebounding will make him a very good player year 1. I don't think he will be a dominant all star but he will average about what he does in college especially in the NBA being more wide open and pick&roll.

If we don't get #1 I like Barnes, Sully, MKG, Lamb and Beal in that order.

I really want to see MKG in a wizards uniform. I honestly want nothing to do with Andre Drummond at all. I question his motor every game