Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

New York should trade Melo and Chandler for him. It makes sense for everyone involved but La La Vasquez.

I don't think the magic trade him though.

Just a joke.

But I think they keep him too.

I'm just thinking out loud here--and I'm wasted (bday tomorrow, yeah, older) so feel free to mock: NBA should have some draft-compensation type deal like MLB. Maybe if you lose a superstar, you get extra balls in the lottery or you get into the lottery even if you made the playoffs as an eight seed or whatever. The loss of just one player is so much more devastating in the NBA than in any other sport, it seems like there should be something to try to offset it. Especially since players leave at no fault to the teams. Cleveland did everything but go down on Lebron at center court, and he still bounced. I guess that's their punishment for not trading him when they get the chance, but a) they didn't know he was going to bounce, and B) compensation in trades is so absurd, its like what's the point.

Again, just thinking out loud. At first I was thinking an extra pick at the end of the 1st, but really, what the **** is a pick at the end of the first.

Can we get a group discount on a shooting coach?

I had this GREAT VHS tape back in the day when I was a teen. The Shot Doctor. I wish I could remember the coaches name but I can't. All I remember was that he was (edit: according to HIS video, not me) a world famous shooting coach who worked with multiple teams and helped stars learn to shoot. And of course he had a couple of real NBA players in the tape, but they were like marginal names where you were like, "Oh yeah, I think I know him. He played for Seattle? No? The Bucks? Well one of those green teams." He looked like Ernie Grunfeld actually. And he had this great 80's stache. Even though I had this tape in like '95, 96 and it was pretty new.

My dad got it for me. I used to watch that damn thing three times a day. Just lay on my back, work on the position of the ball on my hand, shoot it straight up, try to get good rotation, work on my follow though and just watch the tape. And you know what, eventually I could shoot the hell out of the ball after about a year of doing that and of course shooting at the court every single day. (I still struggled going left--worked on that forever--plus I'm a white guy who's not that athletic (though at one point--for a brief moment in my life--I could slam a little kids ball that I could palm. Couldn't do it with a real basketball though) and I have asthma. I could've been a star.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

First Vesely got removed the lineup for 2 games, now Seraphin is getting the same treatment.

Nothing but a gut feel, but this reeks of Ernie & Ted telling Wittman to play Blatche while on the road in hopes of bringing his confidence up before he returns home and hears the boo's.

I have hopes that the reason they want Blatche playing is to showcase him so we can trade him before the deadline. But he is playing terrible, so that plan has failed.

On a side note, how much more do we have to see of this 3 guard lineup to know that is doesnt work at all!

You all make me feel like an alcoholic or something. Smile but dont stop moving.

Nobody like the MLB-styled type-a FA compensation ideas? Nobody played basketball growing up, went to camps, had funny training products (some stupid shot doctor vid is the least that ive seen).

In curious now, I dont think weve ever talked about this in this thread or even back in the DC basketball forum back when that wasn't going strong. Who here played basketball growing up? Like organized basketball. What level?

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I played basketball growing up. Went to camps and such. But it was always a 3rd sport to soccer and football for me. Then during highschool i realized i was vertically challenged and white, so i stood no chance. In any case i was really good at my other sports.I was all state in track, and spent the rest of my time with soccer. So, basketball was just not a realistic option for me. Then i messed up my knee in a late-nite activity with a past girlfriend. So now basketball with all the lateral stress on the knee is almost impossible for me. haha, but thats a story for another day.

Oh! I do remember i had a basketball camp and the Harlem Globe Trotters were there teaching us tricks! It was pretty sweet. Though i think they spent more time doing tricks on us rather than teaching us anything.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

You all make me feel like an alcoholic or something. Smile but dont stop moving.

Nobody like the MLB-styled type-a FA compensation ideas? Nobody played basketball growing up, went to camps, had funny training products (some stupid shot doctor vid is the least that ive seen).

In curious now, I dont think weve ever talked about this in this thread or even back in the DC basketball forum back when that wasn't going strong. Who here played basketball growing up? Like organized basketball. What level?

I played for Rec, School, and one season in AAU before I realized that I am some trash and I should just stick to football. :ols:

I didn't watch the game tonight, but thought I'd share a response from Ted in some email exchanges we had this week about JaVale.

I emailed him about possible trades and how I wanted to deal McGee so we don't have to pay him a 10-12 million a year contract in the offseason....Ted said JaVale could get 14m per season. Judging by the context of the emails, I'd be shocked if he isn't history at the trade deadline.

I'd offer McGee, Vesely, 2012 1st rounder, and Crawford to the Magic for D12 (even w/o extension) hope D12 falls in love w/ playing with Wall and resigns.

Wall is not good enough right now to make some superstar in his prime fall in love with playing with him and stay here over taking offers from far better teams elsewhere. Dwight's better off in Orlando than he would be here.

Rec league, travel teams, AAU, and then varsity before I basically stopped going to school and never played. Used to go to camps all summer, every summer. Baseball and basketball were my sports. Was a catcher in baseball. The Potomac Nats hitting coach was our own private coach. He had a baseball warehouse type thing in Manassas. Me and my brother would go three or four nights a week and just hit. Both of us played for his AAU team. Baseball was more my brother though. He eventually went on to play in college. Basketball was my thing. Unfortunately I'm a dumb **** and, like I said, just stopped going to school. Was a PF as a little kid but I didn't grow much after that (6'1" now) and eventually became a PG.

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

Anyway, looks like D'Antoni is gonna be out in NY sooner rather than later. Wizards coach possibility? Known for being PG friendly. I don't think we win a championship with him, but then I don't think we win a championship with anyone. Should at least be fun. Tired of retreads though.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

We need a coach that isn't going to kiss any player's ass and a GM that's going to allow the coach to be hard on everyone that needs it. After that we need better players because if you tried to put a team together more poorly than this it wouldn't be easy.

Edited by Destino

Wall is not good enough right now to make some superstar in his prime fall in love with playing with him and stay here over taking offers from far better teams elsewhere. Dwight's better off in Orlando than he would be here.

The bizarre thing about Orlando is that it's not a halfway bad team. Jameer Nelson is having a some kind of crisis of confidence this year but he's a pretty good PG. Ryan Anderson is the perfect guy to play next to Dwight.

If it didn't have so many awful contracts tying up its cap space, it would be one deadline trade from contending for the title. Like - imagine if you could insert Ellis into the 2 guard spot there.....

I don't entirely get what Dwight wants. Even with Williams, I think the supporting cast on the Nets would be worse than what he has in Orlando.

From a basketball standpoint, his choices to me are;

1. Chicago

2. Houston

3. Orlando

None of those teams seem to be on his radar.

no way....Orlando is terrible and they are in cap hell. They have no chance to bring anyone in any time soon to help out. The Wizards have a rising star with tons of cap space.

Howard has already complimented Wall on several occasions. You take Howard off the Magic and they are hands down the worst team in the whole NBA.

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 01:15 PM ----------

The bizarre thing about Orlando is that it's not a halfway bad team. Jameer Nelson is having a some kind of crisis of confidence this year but he's a pretty good PG. Ryan Anderson is the perfect guy to play next to Dwight.

If it didn't have so many awful contracts tying up its cap space' date=' it would be one deadline trade from contending for the title. Like - imagine if you could insert Ellis into the 2 guard spot there.....

I don't entirely get what Dwight wants. Even with Williams, I think the supporting cast on the Nets would be worse than what he has in Orlando.

1. Chicago

2. Houston

3. Orlando

None of those teams seem to be on his radar.[/quote']

Jameer Nelson is terrible...I don't know what you've been watching. He had one or two good years and the rest is garbage. Orlando's roster is terrible. Ellis wont help a team win...he is a black hole on offense and doesn't defend.

I didn't watch the game tonight, but thought I'd share a response from Ted in some email exchanges we had this week about JaVale.

I emailed him about possible trades and how I wanted to deal McGee so we don't have to pay him a 10-12 million a year contract in the offseason....Ted said JaVale could get 14m per season. Judging by the context of the emails, I'd be shocked if he isn't history at the trade deadline.

GB, I think you are now an official Chris Broussard source :ols: :

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/3/14/2871292/nba-trade-rumors-2012-javale-mcgee-wizards

Keep in mind that this comes from the keyboard of Chris Broussard, who tends to throw a lot of stuff on the wall to see what sticks. Nevertheless, here's what he had to say about center JaVale McGee.
In addition to his on-court struggles, it appears that Wizards center JaVale McGee is a bit delusional. Sources say he has informed the Wizards that he will be looking for a contract averaging around $14 million when he becomes a free agent after next season.

First off, let's pause to admire the way that paragraph was butchered. Broussard may be an expert at working the phones, but clearly his sentence structure needs work. Also, objectivity and all that.

We done? Good.

If true -- and I could see why it is -- I have a very hard time matching that offer no matter how good McGee could become. Even if that's a means for McGee's representation to set the market, that feels like so much more than the Wizards would want to offer him. Nick Young's representation tried the same thing, and all that resulted was with Young coming back on the qualifying offer. That is not a situation I'd like to repeat.

Edited by StillUnknown

Golden State would have been a suitor for McGee but the Bogut trade effectively takes them out.

IMO his resigning value will be quite reasonable. He needs to be brought back as long as the contract stays below the 10 million threshold. Ideally, we front load the deal.

I played basketball from the 8 year old rec league level but wasn't good enough to make my high school team. I went to camps every summer but they only helped so much.

Where I'm from, our youth league was called "Dixie Youth" when I was growing up. LOL!

Anyways, I couldn't make my high school team, which is sad, because the coach was a family friend. He kept me around as long as he could before he cut me, but he had to do it. I'm short and white and played pretty much like you'd expect a short white guy to play except I wasn't a confident shooter. Only about 6'1 in shoes. Good leaper, but not super fast. I was a ****ty offensive player that struggled with my left hand and just couldn't shoot well enough to justify keeping me around against taller, more athletic kids with better skills even if they didn't hustle as hard or had lower game IQs. I was always a good passer and defender though, had good hands, was good at seeing the floor and anticipating and I played with a bit of a mean streak, enjoyed getting revenge and would hit people back. I used to play the forward spots even though I was too short for them because I didn't mind mixing it up and competing for rebounds.

Let's just say that it's more fun for me to watch the game than try and play it myself.

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

If it didn't have so many awful contracts tying up its cap space' date=' it would be one deadline trade from contending for the title. Like - imagine if you could insert Ellis into the 2 guard spot there.....

1. Chicago

2. Houston

3. Orlando

None of those teams seem to be on his radar.[/quote']

If we're talking free agency, then Dallas makes a lot of sense from a basketball standpoint as well. But Dallas also committed a lot of money to Brendan Haywood, which doesn't seem smart if they're trying to reel in Williams and Dwight together.

OKC makes sense too of course. But OKC makes sense for just about every non SF or slashing PG in the league.

I played basketball from the 8 year old rec league level but wasn't good enough to make my high school team. I went to camps every summer but they only helped so much.

Where I'm from, our youth league was called "Dixie Youth" when I was growing up. LOL!

Anyways, I couldn't make my high school team, which is sad, because the coach was a family friend. He kept me around as long as he could before he cut me, but he had to do it. I'm short and white and played pretty much like you'd expect a short white guy to play except I wasn't a confident shooter. Only about 6'1 in shoes. Good leaper, but not super fast. I was a ****ty offensive player that struggled with my left hand and just couldn't shoot well enough to justify keeping me around against taller, more athletic kids with better skills even if they didn't hustle as hard or had lower game IQs. I was always a good passer and defender though, had good hands, was good at seeing the floor and anticipating and I played with a bit of a mean streak, enjoyed getting revenge and would hit people back. I used to play the forward spots even though I was too short for them because I didn't mind mixing it up and competing for rebounds.

Let's just say that it's more fun for me to watch the game than try and play it myself.

I was the opposite Steve I have like a 10" vertical lol I could almost touch the rim. I played football and basketball from 8 through HS then wrestled 4 years. I have a nasty jumpshot even now and have good handles but still can't jump. I really enjoy frustrating guys talking trash and not letting them get the ball. I will face guard them and it pisses them off so bad they quit moving turning into a spectator.

Now I live thru my son coaching his football, basketball and this year his baseball team.

Edited by Samuels