Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It's considered a mid range shot but its like a foot or two inside the 3 point line, It's a stupid shot if you going too shoot from that distance you shoot the 3 and it's not a high percentage shot.

I can see the heels in the three shot being a bad one, it's never really made sense to me any way. Mid range in general however is a weapon all the best teams have. We clearly don't but you can't duck your head and run into the paint or shoot threes every time. If you have no midrange shooting your team is going to suck or fall apart in the post season. No way around not having the most important shot in basketball, as it makes the defenses job too easy.

Edited by Destino

It sounds like your more concerned with more wins now instead of building a annual playoff contender built for the long haul. Wasting our top 3 pick and cap space on Gay is beyond terrible. No worries though because Ted would never do it and plans to build thru the draft.

Lets face it we will suck for a bit just like the Caps did and probably won't turn the corner until Flip is gone.

You can't build through the draft in basketball.....you draft a Super Star and then build around him via free agency in the draft. Too many people are sucked into this ridiculous notion that you can build a championship team through the draft in basketball....it will work in all the other major sports, but not basketball. The closest team to do it is OKC and that's only because they drafted on of the best basketball players to come out in the past 20 years.

How has Vesely looked?

Like a guy with good hustle, athletic ability, basketball IQ, and a fair defender... But lacking any sort of offensive game to speak of. He's a SF that appears to simply not have a jump shot at any range. If he wants to stay at the SF spot and start some day he's going to need at the very least a midrange jumper and some reliable options when attacking the basket if a dunk is unavailable.

He's a few offseasons with a good shooting coach from being an impact player at the very least IMO. Singleton is way ahead of him in terms of being an NBA caliber SF and he's looking like a three & D player.

Edited by Destino

Speaking of Singleton, after being taken out of the starting lineup, he only got 6:21 of playing time in a game that wasn't close midway through the 1st quarter.

Booker & Vesely got 12:22 & 10:34 respectively.

Our coaching staff has the most arbitrary rules and standards when it comes to playing time.

Edited by StillUnknown

Like a guy with good hustle, athletic ability, basketball IQ, and a fair defender... But lacking any sort of offensive game to speak of. He's a SF that appears to simply not have a jump shot at any range. If he wants to stay at the SF spot and start some day he's going to need at the very least a midrange jumper and some reliable options when attacking the basket if a dunk is unavailable.

He's a few offseasons with a good shooting coach from being an impact player at the very least IMO. Singleton is way ahead of him in terms of being an NBA caliber SF and he's looking like a three & D player.

agree with your assessment of both players, although I think Vesely's best asset is his Defense at this point. Like you pointed out...he has a high basketball IQ which puts him in places to make defensive plays. I've seen him get into the passing lanes on numerous occasions and cause turnovers. I was one of Jan's biggest detractors coming out of the draft, but actually like what I see from him. Hopefully he will get more playing time and I'd like to see him utilized as a stretch 4.

@WojYahooNBA

Adrian Wojnarowski

After a 2-15 start to the season, the Washington Wizards have fired Flip Saunders as coach, a league source tells Y! Sports.

hope Grunfeld is next, I don't want him picking the new guy.

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 11:41 AM ----------

@WojYahooNBA

Adrian Wojnarowski

The Wizards have talked to assistant coach Randy Wittman about taking the interim coaching job, but nothing official yet, sources say.

Edited by StillUnknown

I still would love Jerry Sloan here as a coach. I think he would be a perfect fit.

Why would Sloan want to come here?

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 12:57 PM ----------

Lol. Normally not a Hollinger fan, but he made me laugh here:

John Hollinger @johnhollinger

Wizards should have gone the whole nine yards with this and made Andray Blatche a player-coach.

I still would love Jerry Sloan here as a coach. I think he would be a perfect fit.

I think he'd be a horrible fit for this team.

Not too thrilled with the prospects of having a 70 year old coaching this team.

I'd prefer a young coach who runs an uptempo offense.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Why would Sloan want to come here?

Same question asked about Shanahan coming to the Skins. Coaches aren't all the same. Phil Jackson only goes where the best players are. Jerry might see a situation where you have a star in Wall that if he can just get the rest of the clowns in order they'll be in business. But then again maybe he sees none of that. But I don't see it being out of the question, he has been quoted about wanted to come back to coach. I think he's the old-school type that can get these guys in line.

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 12:03 PM ----------

I think he'd be a horrible fit for this team.

Not too thrilled with the prospects of having a 70 year old coaching this team.

I'd prefer a young coach who runs an uptempo offense.

Doug Collins is pretty old. Yet we see the 76ers run a fast tempo offense. A good basketball coach is a good basketball coach regardless of how old he is.

I feel bad for the true Wizards fans out there, and firing the coach was the right choice. They look awful in the 3 games i've seen agains the Sixers. The Sixers don't have a "superstar", and work well as a team, and destroy teams undercoached and less talented, but still struggle against the best.

The Wiz have a long way to go, even after having the 1st overall pick with John Wall, and this year seem to have taken a step back from last year.

Coaching will help the Wiz, but they need more than just a new coach to compete at this point.

:2cents:

Edited by superozman

You can't build through the draft in basketball.....you draft a Super Star and then build around him via free agency in the draft. Too many people are sucked into this ridiculous notion that you can build a championship team through the draft in basketball....it will work in all the other major sports, but not basketball. The closest team to do it is OKC and that's only because they drafted on of the best basketball players to come out in the past 20 years.

You really need 2 legit all stars to be a very good basketball team.

Lets just say we take your idea and trade our likely top 3 pick plus a boatload of cap space for Rudy Gay. Does that make us a legit playoff threat a team that could do damage?

No it does'nt and it will probably have you picking late lottery to mid 1st round the next season where the picks are really hit or miss. Now you've just hamstring this team into being average for a long time with no real ability to improve but thru trades.

McGee is gonna need to be paid he is a RFA. I'd much rather have Anothney Davis and go sign someone like James Harden then to take on Rudy Gays enormous contract and give away my top 3 pick. As this team shows promise players will want to come.

And Sloan or JVG pick&roll and structure would make this team leaps and bounds better with the same team.

Same question asked about Shanahan coming to the Skins. Coaches aren't all the same. Phil Jackson only goes where the best players are. Jerry might see a situation where you have a star in Wall that if he can just get the rest of the clowns in order they'll be in business. But then again maybe he sees none of that. But I don't see it being out of the question, he has been quoted about wanted to come back to coach. I think he's the old-school type that can get these guys in line.

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 12:03 PM ----------

Doug Collins is pretty old. Yet we see the 76ers run a fast tempo offense. A good basketball coach is a good basketball coach regardless of how old he is.

Yeah, but Doug has a reputation of being much more flexible than Jerry.

No thanks.

Heck, if we're talking about "senior" coaches I'd rather have Larry Brown.

---------- Post added January-24th-2012 at 05:18 PM ----------

I could get behind that. hahaha.

Me too. :ols: