Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I think Beal and Wall had a much better relationship than people made it out to be. If anything, Westbrook might be the more volatile player. We will see.

Perhaps, but Westbrook is a rock.  One of the most focused and intense pros in the league.  It's weird, he's a pretty smart guy in general and he is always locked in.  But he is just never that smart on the court.  He is a low bball IQ player and he plays a chaotic and inefficient style of basketball, but it's always done at maximum effort on offense.  Defense is another question.

5 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

He got into the program quick.  Does anyone know if he really was skipping training camp in Houston?

It's good for us that he wants to be here.  That might only last one season, but this is probably his best landing spot in the NBA.  This is the right city for him.  Right coach.  Right sidekick in Beal. If he is going to recapture his previous glory, this is the situation for him to do it in.  I just want to see him feed the young guys and provide real leadership for them.  I want Troy Brown to absorb his mentality and become a relentless and confident player who leads the second line.  I want Avdija to thrive as a cutter and catch and shoot threat.  I want Rui to fully realize his ridiculous scoring talent and become the athletic front court finisher to compliment our back court.  I want Bertans to make five threes a game and I want Bryant to start playing good defense.

Westbrook is going to lead our team in rebounds and assists I think.  And I think this team is a nervous first round match up for the high seeds, and they might finally have the pieces and personalities in place to grind out a quality regular season and get some home court playoff match ups of their own.  If the virus is diminished enough for fans to come back, then it could matter.  The Verizon Center isn't much of a regular season venue, but it's electric in the postseason.  No ****ing way I'd want to play a team that can drop 140 on me in a first round playoff match up if I'm Boston, Milwaukee, or Philly.

• Like 2

• Destino changed the title to The Official Washington Wizards Thread: The BEAL & BRODIE ERA
17 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I've been trying.

Having problems editing it.

No worries.  :)

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I think Beal and Wall had a much better relationship than people made it out to be. If anything, Westbrook might be the more volatile player. We will see.

I don’t know what they were like as people away from work.  As NBA players I think Beal struggled with Wall.  There are too many instances where Beal would do damage control or just keep his mouth shut.  They seem to have wildly different ideas on how to lead a team.  

Glad the thread title has changed. Would still prefer ":still a terrible team name" 

Russ's presser was solid. They won't start the season with fans so maybe he can generate some juice for when people can attend. Last game I attended was that Beal/Leonard OT one and even though it got intense, the crowd was sparse and mostly quiet. 

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Deni's catch & shoot looks very Klay Thompson..

That was a fast catch and release. I hope dude is legit. It is funny how practice can be so deceiving but it is amazing how effortlessly guys shoot and hit threes. 

I think the scouting report was that his midrange game off the dribble sucked and his shot at the very end sucked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

That was a fast catch and release. I hope dude is legit. It is funny how practice can be so deceiving but it is amazing how effortlessly guys shoot and hit threes. 

I think the scouting report was that his midrange game off the dribble sucked and his shot at the very end sucked. 

What I've noticed is that his shot looks fine, but it doesn't go in. If you listen to his shots, it sounds like they clanged off the rim and the 'made shot' count the coach was calling out didn't change except for 1 he made at the end. And that midrange shot was horrid.

I'm willing to place sig bets that dude is back overseas in 2-3 years. I'm still salty we didn't take Halliburton/Sticks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

What I've noticed is that his shot looks fine, but it doesn't go in. If you listen to his shots, it sounds like they clanged off the rim and the 'made shot' count the coach was calling out didn't change except for 1 he made at the end. And that midrange shot was horrid.

I'm willing to place sig bets that dude is back overseas in 2-3 years. I'm still salty we didn't take Halliburton/Sticks

Deni is 19 and his shooting stats seem to be based on very low samples, I’m not really sure what to expect.  

What I don’t like is his 6-9 wingspan.  If he doesn’t develop a reliable outside shot he’s going to struggle against nba wings.  He’s not terribly strong, fast, or much of a leaper.  With short arms he’s going to have to be one hell of a tricky player to score efficiently.  

Now the word is he can handle the ball and create well, so maybe he can work off his dribble a bit.  His release as you guys have said looks good.  He keeps the ball up and doesn’t bring it back down and swing into his shooting motion like the vast majority of shooters in the nba.  If he can get them to go in at least 35% of the time, he might have a chance to use those handles.  If he can’t, he’s a euro TBJ with shorter arms and a longer neck.

Im hoping the kid is an absolute offensive dynamo that proves he belongs in the nba before the midway point of the season.  An Israeli Tyler Herro.  Wouldn’t that be something. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

@stevemcqueen1

Westbrook is not good defensively?  If I recall one thing about him being drafted it was wondering why an all-defensive PAC-10 lockdown defender was drafted so high.... 

He barely rated on the offensive end at UCLA.... 

I think he stopped playing good defense several years ago.  He used to have the motor to run through screens all day, but now he just plays for steals and rebounds and does a lot of spectating.  Maybe he'll get better with lower usage, but guys usually get worse as they age.

John Wall and HOU getting ready to tipoff on NBATV.. Hes in the starting lineup but I'd assume won't play too much.

Definitely gonna try and catch any HOU games I can. Wall is still my guy!

Just subbed out. HOU up 17-7, and I believe Wall involved in every point scored. Either shooting or from assists. 

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

**Ahem**

Deni is perfect from the field so far. Including 3-3 from deep. 

Has also tallied 3 rebs and an assist. Most importantly hasn't looked overmatched. Looks comfortable, like he belongs.

Woah. Who is this Yoli Childs....

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

**Ahem**

Deni is perfect from the field so far. Including 3-3 from deep. 

Has also tallied 3 rebs and an assist. Most importantly hasn't looked overmatched. Looks comfortable, like he belongs.

Woah. Who is this Yoli Childs....

Hopefully this means he's gonna get real minutes this season and this isn't just time in the preseason then glued to the bench.