Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Maybe nationally... but hockey is more popular in DC than basketball, so he's not the most prominent hometown player.. yet

That's his argument.

Westbrooks fame is pretty nuts..

And hockey is only more popular because of the success vs failure of the DC teams in the respective sports.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Maybe nationally... but hockey is more popular in DC than basketball, so he's not the most prominent hometown player.. yet

I'm going to play a part in derailing this thread because I can't help myself.

Hockey is more popular in DC than basketball only because the Caps have been good and the Wizards always suck.  Let's not pretend the majority of people anywhere in the States prefer hockey to basketball, maybe except Minnesota.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Destino said:

Also, we all realize Beal had a hand in this right?  No chance Tommy did this without consulting his star.  I don’t care what they say, Beal had a say.

Of course he had a say in it....and that's why I'm upset.

Wall has given several interviews discussing Bradley's growth and how much he was looking forward to playing with him.

I don't think John suddenly woke up and decided he didnt want to play with Bradley.

Seems to me this was Bradley-driven and once Wall found out it destroyed the trust.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

What is awesome about Westbrook is that he is always going to give max effort. It's gonna be fun to watch the intensity. I wish the roster construction was a bit better for Westbrook and Beal. 

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

No chance Russ is actually excited about this, right?  

Yes. He gets out of the west and away from Harden. New fans to love him AND he gets to go at Durant more often. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Of course he had a say in it....and that's why I'm upset.

Wall has given several interviews discussing Bradley's growth and how much he was looking forward to playing with him.

I don't think John suddenly woke up and decided he didnt want to with Bradley.

Seems to me this was Bradley-driven and once Wall found out it destroyed the trust.

I don’t think the two ever really got along all that well.  The wizards tried to bury it, but you could tell. 

• Like 2

Why are we doing the hockey vs. basketball thing? Nobody thinks hockey is on the level of popularity as basketball - it's a Canadian sport (actually Canadian, Naismith may have invented basketball but it's our sport) that requires ice and expensive equipment, it will never be on the level of the other Big 4 sports in America. And that's okay, they are a top 5 revenue sports league in the world, and just expanded to Seattle, they are doing just fine.

Anyway, Westbrook is the biggest sports star in this city probably since Mike. That's really cool in and of itself.

1 minute ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I honestly think he just wants to be the focal point of a playoff team. Granted he isn't dumb he knows this franchise is a black hole.

He also knows the East sucks compared to the West. Think about the stats he can rack up here. 

Edited by Hersh

Just now, Hersh said:

He also knows the East sucks compared to the West. 

I don't think that really matters.  

Russ turned 32 last month, an NBA title is practically the only thing he doesn't have on his resume.  He wants to go somewhere he can win a ring and that's not here.  To @Sticksboi05's point, this franchise is a black hole.

LOVE my man John Wall, hurts because he's one of our draft picks. But I will get over it. Fraud fans, leave if you want, lock the door behind you, and dont come back.  At least we didnt give him up for some trash.........

As a fan who watches 98% of Wizards games, I'm ready to watch The Westbrook, Beal, & Bertans show.....Sucks that because of Covid our fans can't get to watch this excitement live at the Verizon Center. We deserve the show that Westbrook is going to bring......

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Hahahahaha John Wall is the single most overrated player in DC sports history.  He was never as good as they hype early on and in today's NBA he's Straight Trash, homie.

Westbrook isn't capable of being on a legit title team either but he'll be fun to watch and should elevate the team to the middle of the Eastern Conference.  And he will actually maintain trade value so when the partnership gets stale in a year and change, the Wiz will be able to get something for him.

This is an absolute miracle of a trade.  The Rockets are clueless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Well I guess I'm out.

I hate this trade.  I hate that John is going to play for that team and it's going to feel horrible if he ends up being good for them.  Feels like Tommy really ****ed things up, and also feels like Beal turned out to be a snake.  I don't see how we could trust him moving forward.  He's holding us hostage in a way that John never would have.  And John treated him like a brother.

I don't have anything against Russ.  I like his character and I like what he means to the league from a cultural standpoint, even if I don't always enjoy watching the way he plays.  He is easy to root for.  But I absolutely hate trading John for him.  This is another disgraceful moment in the history of this terrible franchise.  It's hard to stay a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm fine with the trade, but it's ****ing bull**** we wasted the #9 pick instead of taking Halliburton if we knew we were unloading Wall. You unload Wall on draft night and this all makes sense.

Something I saw earlier said that they didn't even have this trade on the radar until earlier today.  Sheppard and the Rockets GM started talking earlier today and it was finalized this afternoon.  I don't know if they had any idea to trade Wall on draft night.

The more I think about it, this deal is ok despite the draft pick.  I know it's protected, but still.

Westbrook just turned 32, he's not on the upside of his career.  But he's still effective and they traded him for someone coming off an Achilles injury.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/russell-westbrook-trade-grades-rockets-deal-all-star-guard-to-wizards-for-john-wall-first-round-pick/

The recent history of ball-handling guards coming off of torn Achilles tendons is absolutely disastrous. Here's a brief rundown: 

• Kobe Bryant averaged 27.3 points per game on 46.3 percent shooting in the season in which he tore his Achilles. He averaged 18.9 points on 36.6 percent shooting thereafter. 
  • Brandon Jennings averaged 16.6 points per game on 39.1 percent shooting for his career before tearing his Achilles. He averaged 6.9 points on 36.3 percent shooting for the rest of his career.
  • Chauncey Billups averaged 15 points per game on 36.4 percent shooting in the season in which he tore his Achilles. He played only 41 games afterward, averaging 6.2 points per game on 36.5 percent shooting. 

Wall is certainly better than Jennings and better than Billups.  Kobe was Kobe, not surprising that he was still effective after his tear.  But he too, IIRC, was on the downside of his career when he tore his.

Wall is a spectacular athlete, science, medicine and rehab have all advanced even since when Kobe played.  But the odds are stacked against him.

For that reason and that reason alone, I'm liking this trade.  But ultimately I feel that it's one bad contract for another.  Westbrook brings some star power which is cool but I don't know if the Wizards got way better today.  I think they got a little better, though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Westbrook puts up crazy numbers but does he lift others’ games as well? Is he a good floor teammate?

He's a really great player.  True workhorse who sets a tone for his teams that is pretty fanatical.  In that respect he makes his teammates better.  He has the Kobe work ethic.  But he is also a low BBall IQ player whose decision making is very questionable and he also doesn't play with any usefulness off the ball and hasn't been a good defender who fights through screens with vigor in probably four or five years.  He also sells out for rebounds, which actually hurts your perimeter defense and slows down your break, so yeah, he's a selfish player.  Bug.time brick layer too who shoots bad shots without conscience in the middle of scoring in ways that are breathtaking.  He's a mixed bag.

• Thanks 1