Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Brown Jr. needs a consistent shot to be an impact player.  He does everything else you want from a wing pretty well, but wings have to shoot in today’s game.

I get the impression Rui is not accustomed to getting in good position but not getting the ball.  He’s been open in good positions for him and looked baffled that no one even looked his way.  He looked a lot better in then4th than in the first half.

Schofield is pure catch and shoot, and tonight we saw it.  His defense was a bit suspect though and he got himself in bad position a few times.  

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hachimura has a good left hand and he is a patient finisher and has touch.  His scoring instincts are way ahead of the other parts of his game.  I can't see him being a big contributor this season.  But if he gets minutes and shots he'll put up points.

If he can score well that’s a good sign, because you can’t really expect rookies to be good well rounded nba players.  That usually takes three to four years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

If he can score well that’s a good sign, because you can’t really expect rookies to be good well rounded nba players.  That usually takes three to four years.  

I think he could score in volume if he gets the shots.  The tools are there.  But I wouldn't necessarily expect him to score well.  The decision making probably isn't good enough yet to score with efficiency.

He strikes me as being the opposite of Otto in on court playing style.  He is very aggressive but is too often seeing the court through a straw and failing to play with anticipation.  Otto was a high iq player who played with superior patience and intuition but too often lacked aggression in offense and didn't maximize his minutes and looks on that end.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you guys think that either Withey or Pasecniks have a shot at making the team?  We need another true center after trading Dwight, and there is no upside to playing Mahinmi.

I need to see more, but I bet both would perform better than Mahinmi at this point. 

Edited by CrypticVillain

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I need to see more, but I bet both would perform better than Mahinmi at this point. 

Yeah I need to see more too.  My initial impression of Whithey is that he has a pretty smooth looking three ball and could be a pick and pop option.  But I didn't see a lot of value outside of that.  He looked kind of slow and floor-bound on his pick and roll opportunity.  And he didn't seem to offer a lot of resistance to opponents as they drove to the rim.

Pasecniks caught my eye though.  Apparently he can't shoot free throws, but he's huge and has nimble feet.  And looked like a good passer.  He's the one I like so far.  I don't know what his contract situation is with his Liga ACB team though.

• Like 1

Pretty good article from Candace breaking down Rui's experience and performance in last night's game: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/07/wizards-rookie-rui-hachimura-is-all-business-his-nba-summer-league-debut/?utm_term=.0e603ba731c3

The first part is a little worrisome.  Looking at the play where he fell, it does look pretty bad.  Looked like he could have hurt his hip or his elbow.  It was a good block though and I love seeing that kind of effort to protect the rim.

I don't totally agree with her implication that he was shook because he wasn't talking.  I think she might be misidentifying a language or cultural barrier.  The way he moves around on offense--he's looking for the ball.  He's making himself a target and searching for shots, but Summer League is not the most cohesive or flowing type of offensive play.  Him bullying his way all of the way underneath the basket multiple times against two men in his airspace is a good sign.  He's an aggressive offensive player.

Here is a really good youtube video with a cut ups from the game:

I agree with Destino that Troy Brown is a better outside shot away from being a very nice young player.  He sees the game well and he is a clever and smooth player.  He finishes in traffic like a high end scorer.  And I think he has natural leadership qualities too.  He's better than Oubre was, and I could even see him becoming the second best player on the team this year (not that there is a ton of competition).  Still is on to something about playing Troy at PG.  Maybe not full time, but his playing style looks like he's a big point guard.  That handle and creative ability is unusually good for a wing.

Justin Robinson had a nice game overall and I like the way he can play off the ball in a backcourt with Troy.  Just one game, but so far he looks like an NBA player to me.  I hope he makes the team.

Tarik Phillip is strong but I'm not sure what his position really is.  He looks very slow to me and he's short for a swing man type of player.  He's pretty good and probably good enough to hold down a roster spot, but how much upside does he have?

Though it's not as if we have a ton of decent options on the wing any more.

I want to see more of Caupain.  Don't know where he came from, but he looked good last night.

Schofield has a clear NBA position and role.  His shooting touch is silky and I think he makes the roster this year.

• Like 1

Troy's shot has really improved but I don't see that much off the dribble or in the half court.

In transition he looks fantastic, in the half court I see him drive directly into defenders and get swallowed up.

He needs playing time. 

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Rui has a lot of Carmelo Anthony in his game. The skills of a 3 in the physical frame of a 4. 

he is going to be a really good player, maybe even great, if this team doesn’t bungle his development.  

Candace said in her article that he modeled his game after Carmelo when he was learning how to play basketball.

Let's hope he just meant the offensive part, rather than the whole thing.

I think you're right about the Carmelo-like elements in his game.  That little move where he spins along the baseline and then puts his head down into your chest and then pump fakes while making a gather step before going up is pure Carmelo.  His footwork as a scorer is already very advanced for a late comer.

Troy Brown is our smartest young player and best leader, but Hachimura is probably the most naturally talented.  They could make a nice forward tandem.

3 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Anyone else get Lou Williams vibes from Troy Brown? From a scoring / Assist Potential standpoint

not at all. his offensive game revolves around getting to the basket, he's not much of shot maker/creator yet. Lou is instant offense. TBjr may have a better all-around game one day, but he doesn't strike me as a Lou Will type

@stevemcqueen1 Katz mentioned on a podcast in the past that Tarik Phillip is pretty much here solely because he was flagged by our analytic department as someone to take a flyer on. Not sure where it goes from there, but apparently, analytics like him more than the eye test.

Edited by StillUnknown

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

@stevemcqueen1 Katz mentioned on a podcast in the past that Tarik Phillip is pretty much here solely because he was flagged by our analytic department as someone to take a flyer on. Not sure where it goes from there, but apparently, analytics like him more than the eye test

I wonder what kind of metrics they track and rely on.  Probably a trade secret.

My uneducated eye test of him was that he's pretty good but that he has low upside because he looks slow.  He gets steals and assists without many turnovers and makes his shots and is efficient.  Good situational play, mainly on offense.  But I think he can be exploited on the perimeter because of a lack of lateral quickness and recovery speed.  It was only one look at him, but he looked like a plodder to me.

He's got a strong looking body though, so maybe he is one of those fire plug types who compensate for a lack of size with strength and physicality.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wonder what kind of metrics they track and rely on.  Probably a trade secret.

not sure if its the same for basketball, I've heard former execs in baseball talk about how clubhouse analytics are usually a couple years ahead of the public

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

not sure if its the same for basketball, I've heard former execs in baseball talk about how clubhouse analytics are usually a couple years ahead of the public

that makes sense to me, seeing as how much of an interest they have in scooping up and analyzing as much information as possible.

they also have all kinds of analytic data on health stuff we have no clue about, apparently.  Katz intimated that was one reason they liked Hachimura.

Man, if we can finally crack the code of getting healthy and durable players and then keeping them that way, I will dance in celebration in the street.   That would be winning half the battle for us.

• Like 1