Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I want to get into the value stuff but I gotta sleep. But real quick, I think there is always a place on winning, championship teams for players like Booker. I don't think he belongs lumped in with a Blatche, McGee, Lewis, or even Young (though I think Young can play a role as well.) Also, I think the issue is that I'm looking at Blatche from a POV that goes beyond just the basketball court and the 48 minutes on it.

I like McGee, if your a Wizard fan I think you almost have too like McGee he is pretty much our only chance too be a good team. Its clear we have almost zero chance too land a great free agent player so young guys with potential like McGee you have too root him on and pray he becomes one of your key building pieces.

I can see why Blatche rubs people the wrong way but at the same time you have NOBODY behind him at PF that compares too his skill set or production and add in the fact he just turned 25! And this off season he has shown signs of maturing.

I've been MIA from this board for a while...was reading through the other day and saw people debating about John Stockton and Isiah Thomas....couldn't find it when I went back to look. I can't remember if the argument was as a player or a PG? As a player, I think Isiah was definitely better in the sense of him being able to carry a team, but as far as a PG is concerned...I'd take John Stockton any day of the week.

It is kind of like the Rose vs. Wall debates we will likely see for years to come (currently) Rose is a much better player than Wall, but if you look at them by position, I believe Wall is a much better natural passer than Rose and therefore he will end up a better PG (don't think we can make that argument yet though)

Stockton was a better shooter, better passer. and an equal defender....the only category Isiah has him on is scoring and putting a team on his back and carrying them to victory (which is the most important trait of all...and which is why he is a better player)

but speaking on just the PG position, Stockton is hands down the better choice. Take for instance the current Miami heat team. If you could take any PG past or present to put on that team and make them a champion....I'd take Stockton over anyone else. He is unselfish and would be perfectly content differing to the other superstars when it came to scoring. He'd also shoot at a very high percentage and play lock down defense.

Its clear we have almost zero chance too land a great free agent player

Where in the world are you getting this from? We are an up and coming team with a guy who will soon be widely regarded as the best PG in basketball and probably a top 5 player in the league. We also play in a mid-large market and have a great owner who manages the team well. Give it a year or two and we are going to be one of the top places free agents want to come.

so young guys with potential like McGee you have too root him on and pray he becomes one of your key building pieces.

I do agree with this...but i don't think GOCOLB was saying that he isn't rooting for McGee to succeed....he is a huge fan, I'm sure he is rooting for all our players to succeed...it is just a matter of if they will or not.

I don't even think McGee is stupid like most of the people here....I've heard him give interviews on several occasions...the guy isn't dumb, and he knows the game of basketball. The problem is the guy giving the interviews doesn't seem to sink up with the athletic guy on the court.....it's like he can't think and play at the same time. Hopefully that changes with age and maturity. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on McGee...but I think he has a higher chance to bust as a wizard as he does to be an all-star caliber player.

I can see why Blatche rubs people the wrong way but at the same time you have NOBODY behind him at PF that compares too his skill set or production and add in the fact he just turned 25! And this off season he has shown signs of maturing.

disagree....I'd rather have Trevor Booker come in and score 8 points a game on .500 shooting rather than Blatche score 17 on .420 shooting! Not to mention Booker is going to play better defense and hit the boards harder. (and it doesn't even have to be booker....insert any other big on the team in this slot) I'd rather someone else get Blatche's offensive reps.

I do still think Blatche could all of a sudden click...and be a very good player, but until his poor attitude changes...it isn't going to happen.

Where in the world are you getting this from? We are an up and coming team with a guy who will soon be widely regarded as the best PG in basketball and probably a top 5 player in the league. We also play in a mid-large market and have a great owner who manages the team well. Give it a year or two and we are going to be one of the top places free agents want to

disagree....I'd rather have Trevor Booker come in and score 8 points a game on .500 shooting rather than Blatche score 17 on .420 shooting! Not to mention Booker is going to play better defense and hit the boards harder. (and it doesn't even have to be booker....insert any other big on the team in this slot) I'd rather someone else get Blatche's offensive reps.

I do still think Blatche could all of a sudden click...and be a very good player, but until his poor attitude changes...it isn't going to happen.

Booker is a solid player coming off the bench great guy too have in no way he compares too Blatche. Booker is small and his skill set is limited, I guess he can start if you have other guys at the other positions that can score and have him as a filler which our team dont.

With the other point Wall is nice and hes a beast pg unless this lock out brings a cap the wizards are going too depend of McGee too be a good player too bring in another star free agent. Today's NBA the Knicks, Lakers and Heat will get the best players with Dallas and maybe San Antonio getting others. If McGee fails, and we waste years consider Wall GONE, Wall is a winner and not going too settle on a mediocre team.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Booker is a solid player coming off the bench great guy too have in no way he compares too Blatche. Booker is small and his skill set is limited, I guess he can start if you have other guys at the other positions that can score and have him as a filler which our team dont.

I don't think you are getting my point...or maybe you are just a stat watcher and only care about PPG average.....Blatche is stupidly inefficient...he takes terrible shots and is more of a liability to the team on both sides of the court. He is also a very lazy defender....so either way you look at it, he is hurting this team. Booker isn't a world beater, but he will play hard on defense and wont be the black hole that Blatche is on offense.

unless this lock out brings a cap the wizards are going too depend of McGee too be a good player too bring in another star free agent. Today's NBA the Knicks, Lakers and Heat will get the best players with Dallas and maybe San Antonio getting others. If McGee fails, and we waste years consider Wall GONE, Wall is a winner and not going too settle on a mediocre team.

Even with a soft cap, the teams you listed aren't going to be able to add any significant free agents....the Lakers are like 20 or 30 million over the soft cap and the Knicks and heat are right up against it. I could see Dallas being an attractive landing spot for the next could years, but now that the Duncan/Parker dominate era is over in SA...that isn't a very attractive place to play anymore.

In the up coming few years, the only teams that will have any cap space to do something significant (that will be as attractive or more attractive than us) is Boston, Houston, and LA Clippers. If Dwight Howard doesn't get traded and he chooses to leave Orlando via free agency, it is going to be us and the Celtics competing to get him.

I thought it was a well written piece, especially on a topic where you mostly get to listen to fabricated nonsense from the business side.

I'll refrain from turning this into a pseudo political thread, but I'll just say that Ted is trying to play the victim card here when he doesn't really need to. The President does not lump the entire upper class into one cluster that is trying to crap on the middle and lower class. There's a big difference in trying to level the playing field for all economic classes instead of proposing tax cuts for one class, then turning around and advocating cuts to programs that help the lower and middle class.

Looks like a labor deal is going to get done: 51/49 revenue split, soft cap, decreases in contracts over the next 3 years, Allan Houston rule.

The Wizards need to use that contract to it's advantage....get a couple players in exchange for him. There are teams out there who may have a couple 8-10 million dollar players who want to shed 20 million in salary....so they trade two of those players to the Wizards in exchange for Rashard Lewis and turn around and use the Allan Houston rule on him.

Maybe Josh Smith and Marvin Williams from Atlanta....we can keep Smith and waive Marvin under the rule.

Memphis is going to have to do something with Rudy Gay's contract if they want to re-sign Gasol. Maybe we can trade Rashard and another piece for Gay.

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

From official who's talked w/ people in room: More than one previously hardline owner, including Dan Gilbert, has come wanting to make deal.

One participant in labor meeting has told (texted) associates on the outside that there's "been a spirit of cooperation" in the room today.

Bryant has strong desire to play in Italy during lockout, source says, and wants an arrangement where entire league benefits financially

Bryant's working with Italian League to find way for multiple teams to benefit from his playing there, not just Virtus Bologna, source says

Looks like a labor deal is going to get done: 51/49 revenue split, soft cap, decreases in contracts over the next 3 years, Allan Houston rule.

The Wizards need to use that contract to it's advantage....get a couple players in exchange for him. There are teams out there who may have a couple 8-10 million dollar players who want to shed 20 million in salary....so they trade two of those players to the Wizards in exchange for Rashard Lewis and turn around and use the Allan Houston rule on him.

Maybe Josh Smith and Marvin Williams from Atlanta....we can keep Smith and waive Marvin under the rule.

Memphis is going to have to do something with Rudy Gay's contract if they want to re-sign Gasol. Maybe we can trade Rashard and another piece for Gay.

I'd rather just flat out get rid of Shard and save the cap space to make a run at Dwight Howard next summer. A lineup of Wall, Crawford, another lottery pick, and Howard would be awesome.

:ols: That's awesome. You tell 'em D-Wade!

I had the opposite reaction. Sounds like a stupid teenager acting up. It's a business meeting negotiating a major decade long agreement... Is it too much to expect him to act like he belongs in the room with the adults?

Edited by Destino

I had the opposite reaction. Sounds like a stupid teenager acting up. It's a business meeting negotiating a major decade long agreement... Is it too much to expect him to act like he belongs in the room with the adults?

Perhaps Mr. Stern should have acted like an adult.

You don't lecture grown men like they're children and expect no reaction.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Perhaps Mr. Stern should have acted like an adult.

You don't lecture grown men like they're children and expect no reaction.

Do you really believe that? That when someone is talking and says something you don't like or, heaven forbid, points at you throwing a hissy fit is a reasonable reaction? All this at essentially a negotiation table.

I disagree. Children and full grown idiots run around puffing their chests and freaking out over instance in which they feel they don't feel they were shown "respect". Having control over ones emotions and understanding the context of a situation are something that should come with maturity. If he didn't like what Stern was saying he could have responded in a manner that empowered his position without losing control.

I saw a portion of this quote on the BF website:

“The Wizards, they knew me as a basketball player, but they didn’t how I was off the court, how I act,” said Crawford, who joined the Wizards in February after the team made a deadline deal with Atlanta. “That camaraderie off the court is going to help and I think that’s why the [NBA champion Dallas] Mavericks worked so well. If you look at all their interviews, they always said Dirk [Nowitzki] was the best player, without no controversy. They didn’t try to take no shine, so, I think that’s the main thing we’ve got to overcome.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards-try-to-develop-chemistry-while-being-locked-out/2011/09/28/gIQAHJWE8K_story_1.html

VERY interesting comments from Crawford. He doesn't specifically call anyone out, but we all know this is Wall's team....but there seems to be a specific "someone" *cough* Dray* who I'm assuming that the quote is directed. This summer he's trying to rehab his image by bringing up his charity trips, working out, organizing team workouts (that no one attended), etc. I swear this team would be 100% better off with him gone. We all know what he can do on the court when focused...but I feel he's an EXTREMELY negative influence to have on this roster. Addition by subtraction if he's gone. I don't care what the return is, this team needs him gone.

Yeah, I saw that but I didn't think he was necessarily referring to Dray.

I just took it as a general comment though its possible he was referring to Dray. :whoknows:

Anyway, check this out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/32183/owners-divide-detrimental-to-talks

Owners' divide detrimental to talks

Two weeks ago, the league was pleased with the players' offer to reduce their share of basketball related income from 57 to 54 percent. The feeling among many owners was that that concession by the players would cover many of their financial losses.

That being the case, the large-market owners felt like a deal could be in sight. But then the talk amongst the owners turned from economics to competitive balance, with the small-market owners believing a robust revenue sharing plan would level the playing field. After all, they want to be able to go near or above the luxury tax too, just like the big-market clubs.

But with the big-market owners refusing to share their local TV money, the small-market owners feel like they need a more favorable deal to be able to compete.

That's a big reason why the owners' latest offer on BRI dropped all the way down to 46 percent.

That's the type of deal -- really about 48 or 50 -- the small-market owners think they need to compete. But it's an offer the players are unified in refusing.

Revenue means nothing if players are bolting for sunny skies every time they hit FA. They need to give small market teams the ability to hold onto to super stars and restrict the ability of teams with high pay rolls to sign help (role players) with the aid of the luxary tax.

Revenue means nothing if players are bolting for sunny skies every time they hit FA. They need to give small market teams the ability to hold onto to super stars and restrict the ability of teams with high pay rolls to sign help (role players) with the aid of the luxary tax.

i know thats what i mean. institute a hard cap, franchise tag and things like that