Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That John Wall block is ****ing sick.

The thing that stood out the most to me in that video was his intensity. If he cares that much about an exhibition game, you can only imagine what it must be like when the lights come on during a real game. For all his physical tools & skill set, his mindset will be the thing that makes him great.

The thing that stood out the most to me in that video was his intensity. If he cares that much about an exhibition game, you can only imagine what it must be like when the lights come on during a real game. For all his physical tools & skill set, his mindset will be the thing that makes him great.

That's the #1 biggest reason I'm a believer. It isn't his athleticism, or his vision, or any of that. It's his attitude. When you watch him at games, you can just tell, he's there to do work. When he doesn't get a call (and he didn't get a lot this past year), you can just see the look on his face "Ok mother****ers, be ready because my time is coming soon." I think it was the Clippers game, I was at and Javale just halfassed defending a Clippers fastbreak. Flip immediately called timeout and started to go at Javale, but Wall beat him to the punch and just tore into him. And this was late in the season. They didn't have anything to play for. Dude is a winner. Period.

Former Henninger High School star and current Washington Wizards forward Andray Blatche has never forgotten his Syracuse roots and he proved it once again on Thursday with his foundation's third annual youth camp at Kirk Park.

Blatche, a six-year veteran who brought along Wizards teammate Hamady N'Diaye, is coming off his best NBA season, setting career-highs in games started and per-game averages for points, rebounds, assists, steals and minutes played. But his follow-up is up in the air due to the NBA lockout, which he says he follows closely and hopes will end soon.

In the meantime, Blatche says he's been working out in Miami and South Carolina and is organizing an unofficial team practice to be held in D.C. Asked if he might follow the lead of some of his NBA counterparts and play overseas if the lockout drags on, he says he has not yet thought about it.

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/sports/551608/blatche-returns-home-to-give-back/

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/8/1/2309098/nick-young-drew-league-washington-wizards

If there was an award for Summer League exploits, the Washington Wizards would be way up there at the top of the NBA. We've discussed John Wall's summer tour, which included this scintillating performance in Baltimore's Melo League earlier in the week, but it's not just Wall who is hooping like crazy this summer. Nick Young is too, and he might have come through with the performance of the summer.

Young scored an insane 60 points in his latest game in the Drew League on Sunday, the highest mark ever scored in a Drew League game. There's no video available yet, but rest assured, once there is, we'll find it. Alas, Young's exploits came in a losing effort, as his team, the Young Grangers, lost and missed out on the playoffs. I'm not sure who Young's teammates are, but clearly they need to step it up a bit.

And yes, I'm sure someone will make the joke that this just shows Young never passes. Bring it on. I'm ready.

NickYoungEdge.jpg

Edited by StillUnknown

Damn man. I was just searching for the thread to post this. Here's a link with a story on it:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/8/4/2343828/trevor-booker-washington-wizards-israel

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 09:42 AM ----------

I like it btw. Get him some burn somewhere. Some experience.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I just read what ESPN posted about Wizards players playing overseas. So far, Booker is the only one who is definitely going to play if there is a lockout: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-trevor-booker-to-play-in-israel-during-lockout/2011/08/04/gIQAcr15tI_blog.html

Also in the article:

Fellow second-year player Kevin Seraphin has already expressed a desire to continue his career in France if the labor dispute continues. Seraphin's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, has stated that he would likely return to his first pro team, Cholet Basket.

I think it's likely Seraphin goes and plays for Cholet too. Apparently he's pretty close to a deal with the club: This is the link ESPN gave me, it's in French, I can't read it. http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/seraphin-proche-d-un-retour-a-cholet-5936.html

He's also set to play for the French National team in world competition and the Olympics next summer.

Blatche is the only other one who has talked about it. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/trevor-booker-real-excited-about-signing-with-israel/2011/08/04/gIQALRT1uI_blog.html?wprss=wizards-insider

Miller also represents Wizards forward Andray Blatche and said he is exploring possibilities for him as well. “We’re definitely having dialogue. We’ve certainly put his name in the mix and we certainly wouldn’t hesitate to act on it if it were something Andray were interested in.”
I'm not sure where he wants to play. It looks like the best guys are gravitating towards China and a few are signing with Israeli clubs.

No word on where Vesely will play, I always assumed he would stay with Partizan Belgrade.

Finally, two draft guys most of us liked are probably going to play overseas. Enes Kanter is looking at China and it looks like Bismack Biyombo is going to be forced to stay in Spain with Fuenlabrada no matter what (he's under contract for two more seasons) and things could get a little contentious.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31220946

john-wall-reebok-zig-encore.jpg

Reebok is either immune to the critics or has sunk too much into this "Zig" concept to admit that it made a mistake.

Back in October 2010, we introduced you to Washington Wizards point guard John Wall's new signature shoe. It was his first shoe ever, to be worn in his rookie season, so it was a pretty big deal. There was a big unveiling presentation and everything. What resulted was a strangely-colored disaster made worse by the "Zig" concept at the bottom, a design that goes up and down more often than the stock market during the recent debt ceiling crisis, and a spider webbing system. Yes, the Reebok Zig was unique. No, the Reebok Zig was not unique in a good way.

Pictured above is the Year 2 model of Wall's signature shoe: the Zig Encore.

SoleCollector.com reports that Wall will wear the sneaker during his sophomore season, should it take place, and has some additional details.

Boasting a look similar last season's Zig Slash, the Zig Encore is a slightly lower cut model equipped with a slimmer ZigNano-cushioned sole.

This particular pair features a black nubuck, patent and mesh-based upper with white accenting the side panels, Vector branding, Wall's signature on the right medial collar and his brand new "JW" logo centered on the tongue. Red takes care of the laces and inner liner, while a blue-tinted translucent outsole with increased herringbone traction finishes things off below.

The site also reports the shoe will be available in October and will sell for $115.

While the design still doesn't come close to doing Wall's game justice, the color combination makes a bit more sense. The blue sole and white dotted upper at least tangentially recall various Air Jordans, so that's a start.

The real question this shoe design prompts: How long until the Zig gets the axe?

Wall needs to get out of that Reebok deal asap.

Tomorrow, ESPN.com's "5-on-5" series covers the Wizards. Interesting to see the opinions from national hoops bloggers..

I think my friend was telling me about this today. He was talking about some article about the Wiz. Had great things to say about Wall. I think the question was, is he the next Day Rose? And they answered that Wall won't be chasing MVP's like Rose, he'll be chasing championships. Something like that (don't quote me on it, since I haven't seen it.)

Oh and who here doesn't know the story about just how big a disaster Wall's shoes were last year? Ended with Ted threatening to never talk to me again. If you don't know, PM Me (yes, im still scared of Ted. Don't leave me baby.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

• 2 weeks later...

John Wall is such a damn hoss. Basketball is everything to him. Tell me this story doesn't give you a hard on: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6881555/kevin-durant-scores-44-points-dc-all-stars-beat-la-drew-league

The dunking started off the opening tip and never let up, though defensive intensity existed throughout. Washington Wizards center JaVale McGee won the initial jump ball and then flushed home an alley-oop for the Drew squad. Moments later his NBA teammate Wall set up Durant for a high-rising dunk.

"Whenever you team up with the leading scorer in the NBA, it's always going to be easy to find assists," said Wall, who finished with 28 points.

Wall has been a staple on the summer league and exhibition game circuit this summer, far more he said than if the offseason was of the normal kind. Happy to play in these games, sure, but Wall expressed his frustration over the labor standoff and for a very pure reason.

"Everybody thinks it's all about the money," he said. "It's not about the money. I just want to play basketball, I love to play basketball."

God I wish we could get Kevin Durant somehow. Why did he sign that damn extension? Let him come play with a real stud PG. Can we start scheming up ways to get Oklahoma City to void his contract? If he and John Wall combined their powers they'd own the decade and create the most epic partnership in the history of epicness.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 11:40 AM ----------

A couple more things

- Why the hell was JaVale playing for the LA team? He grew up in Michigan and went to high school in Chicago and two years of college in Nevada. Nick Young playing for LA (although he didn't end up playing in the game, supposedly for family reasons) makes sense to me. But McGee? Should it be telling that the DC team got DeMarcus Cousins rather than JaVale?

- Speaking of which, this is yet another instance of Cousins teaming up with Wall to do work. As soon as his rookie contract is voided/ends he's coming to DC... and I'm ok with that.

Can you imagine how fun it would be to watch a Cousins, McGee, Vesely front line? Constant dunks. Too bad none of them can shoot.

Yeah, why'd KD have to sign an extension with that ******* Clay Bennett? :mad:

And too bad we can't get Blake Griffin and Dwight.

Wall, any SG, Durant, Griffin, Dwight.

Guaranteed ESPN top play every night.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 11:44 AM ----------

Yeah, why'd KD have to sign an extension with that ******* Clay Bennett? :mad:

And too bad we can't get Blake Griffin and Dwight.

Wall, any SG, Durant, Griffin, Dwight.

Guaranteed ESPN top play every night.