Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

LaVar said the same thing today. It may be the only time I've ever agreed with Chad Dukes.

Lavar has been hating on Wall for a minute now. He's been ****ing about him being the team captain for weeks. I don't know what it is. It's either schtick, or he's jealous, or something. I'm leaning toward schtick. Chad is the Wiz fanboy so Lavar has to be the hater.

Lavar has been hating on Wall for a minute now. He's been ****ing about him being the team captain for weeks. I don't know what it is. It's either schtick, or he's jealous, or something. I'm leaning toward schtick. Chad is the Wiz fanboy so Lavar has to be the hater.

Jealousy it is. Arrington whined and whined about Wall being a pompous over confident a-hole while completely forgetting what kind of player he used to be. Can't see a brother do good. Arrington came with the same kind of hype, supposed to be the next LT blah blah blah and failed due to his own short comings and injuries. He doesn't have a problem with Ovechkin who kind of plays with the same swagger but he hates on the other guy who for all accounts shows no doucheyness on the court but did a 30 sec dance on his first ever home intro.

Arrington is an extremely bitter individual and I say this as someone who used to be a huge fan of his. His on air pissed off attitude is pathetic.

Edited by No Excuses

Jealousy it is. Arrington whined and whined about Wall being a pompous over confident a-hole while completely forgetting what kind of player he used to be. Can't see a brother do good. Arrington came with the same kind of hype, supposed to be the next LT blah blah blah and failed due to his own short comings and injuries. He doesn't have a problem with Ovechkin who kind of plays with the same swagger but he hates on the other guy who for all accounts shows no doucheyness on the court but did a 30 sec dance on his first ever home intro.

Arrington is an extremely bitter individual and I say this as someone who used to be a huge fan of his. His on air pissed off attitude is pathetic.

I said schtick because it's hard for me to believe that any thing they do on that show (or that station for that matter) is real in any type of way. But maybe he's so bitter about Wall being the man that he can't help but show it.

And am I the only one who doesn't see Wall acting all high and mighty in any type of way? I don't even really see the swagger. I just see a kid having fun and enjoying himself. One of my favorite moments of the game was when he hit Yii with an assist. After Yii made the shot, Wall pumped his fist and said like "YES!", jumped up and bounced around with this HUGE smile on his face. Then he like looked over at the bench to say something and it was like he remembered where he was at and got all serious again. It was an awesome moment that I bet most people missed. Just a kid having fun and doing what he loves and is meant to do. Play basketball and be a PG. I can't recall one instance where I thought he acted ****y. Not one. Maybe confident but really, not even that.

Gil was/is likable in a goofy/eclectic/eccentric type of way. Wall is likable in a human being type of way. For anyone to question his character is just absolutely disgusting.

Sidenote, Yii is going to become a fan favorite. I can already tell. In my section we started doing a YIIIIIIIIII!!! chant type thing (like Coooooooooley) any time he made a play. By the end of the game, I heard it in a bunch of different parts of the arena. He's not the best player but he plays hard and is super aggressive on D. He really busts his ass on that side of the floor. He's not always in the right position but it's not because he's not trying. I think he'll eventually get it.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Pretty much. Nothing I've seen from Wall so far suggests that he's a ****y mother****er. He might be off the court but on the court he's all about the team and winning no matter what.

I find this really pathetic that rather than celebrating the best rookie point guard performance in DECADES, people are whining about a stupid 30 second dance. Some really sad individuals.

Edited by No Excuses

It's funny how people say Wall is selfish when the first thing he said after the game was about how he needed to reduce the turnovers because they were hurting the team, when an egotistical person would just praise himself for having a near triple double.

Whatever. Haters tears are delicious.

I said schtick because it's hard for me to believe that any thing they do on that show (or that station for that matter) is real in any type of way. But maybe he's so bitter about Wall being the man that he can't help but show it.

And am I the only one who doesn't see Wall acting all high and mighty in any type of way? I don't even really see the swagger. I just see a kid having fun and enjoying himself. One of my favorite moments of the game was when he hit Yii with an assist. After Yii made the shot, Wall pumped his fist and said like "YES!", jumped up and bounced around with this HUGE smile on his face. Then he like looked over at the bench to say something and it was like he remembered where he was at and got all serious again. It was an awesome moment that I bet most people missed. Just a kid having fun and doing what he loves and is meant to do. Play basketball and be a PG. I can't recall one instance where I thought he acted ****y. Not one. Maybe confident but really, not even that.

Gil was/is likable in a goofy/eclectic/eccentric type of way. Wall is likable in a human being type of way. For anyone to question his character is just absolutely disgusting.

I'm loving the way Wall handles himself. The fact that he came right out and addressed his turnovers says tons to me. And when the rest of the team adjusts to his speed, the turnovers will go down.

There's no way anyone could say that Wall is a douche without themselves being a douche. That's all there is to it.

And am I the only one who doesn't see Wall acting all high and mighty in any type of way? I don't even really see the swagger. I just see a kid having fun and enjoying himself. One of my favorite moments of the game was when he hit Yii with an assist. After Yii made the shot, Wall pumped his fist and said like "YES!", jumped up and bounced around with this HUGE smile on his face. Then he like looked over at the bench to say something and it was like he remembered where he was at and got all serious again. It was an awesome moment that I bet most people missed. Just a kid having fun and doing what he loves and is meant to do.

Wall is alot like Ovechkin. He loves what he does. I caught him jumping up and down also. It reminded me of Ovechkin's rookie year where every time he scored he'd jump into the glass with pure elation. It's great to not only have stars but passionate stars in D.C. It is going to be one hell of a decade for D.C. sports if our potential is realized.

As for the haters in this thread. Haters gonna hate.

Haha I actually wrote an email to Ted this morning about that. It definitely makes us look like a second class team without a tradition of our own. I mean we surely are lacking in that department but I'd rather not use anything than borrow another teams identity.

Then what do you think about Leonsis' plan to change the colors? Making the uniforms look more like what the Caps and Nats wear is the entire point.

Leonsis is trying to build a monolithic sports culture in Washington and he's a genius for doing it. That's exactly why the Boston franchises are the money making juggernauts that they are. Their owners were savvy enough to work together and support each other because a rising tide lifts all boats.

Leonsis understands the revenue generating power that is the Redskins franchise and I think he and Snyder can help each other out quite a bit by working together.

:ols: all the **** Wall is taking for his intro, what about Lebron and all that ghey **** he does? The stolen chalk blow pregame thing he stole from KG? The ghey little handshakes and dances he'd do on the sidelines with his teammates in Cleveland? How is Wall's trademark dance something that is all of a sudden bad?

Then what do you think about Leonsis' plan to change the colors? Making the uniforms look more like what the Caps and Nats wear is the entire point.

Leonsis is trying to build a monolithic sports culture in Washington and he's a genius for doing it. That's exactly why the Boston franchises are the money making juggernauts that they are. Their owners were savvy enough to work together and support each other because a rising tide lifts all boats.

Leonsis understands the revenue generating power that is the Redskins franchise and I think he and Snyder can help each other out quite a bit by working together.

I have no problem with unifying the colors. That doesn't mean we are stealing anyone's tradition, especially considering that the Bullets used to sport the red, white and blue earlier anyways.

It's just really lame that you have nothing from your own teams tradition to get the crowd to boo and everytime the opposing team is shooting FT's you have to use a football rivalry. If I want to boo the Cowboys, I'll go to a Redskins game.

:ols: all the **** Wall is taking for his intro, what about Lebron and all that ghey **** he does? The stolen chalk blow pregame thing he stole from KG? The ghey little handshakes and dances he'd do on the sidelines with his teammates in Cleveland? How is Wall's trademark dance something that is all of a sudden bad?

You mean from Michael Jordan.

As God as my witness, if I ever meet Colin Cowherd I'm going to hit him right in the nose.

When I hear people going off on **** like this, not just criticizing it but really going off on it and blowing it way out of proportion, I can't help but to think to myself that they're just not white enough for them. Wall isn't white enough for Cowherd. He isn't "proper" like Cowherd likes them.

Yeah I just took it there. And ftr, I'm a white guy.

Hit him a second time for me. I hate that piece of **** and have since what he said what he did about Sean Taylor after his murder. The irony here is that Cowherd is absolutely the kind of **** eating attention whore that he's trying to paint John Wall as. Cowherd is the goatse.cx of sports radio. He's a disgrace.

I have no problem with unifying the colors. That doesn't mean we are stealing anyone's tradition, especially considering that the Bullets used to sport the red, white and blue earlier anyways.

It's just really lame that you have nothing from your own teams tradition to get the crowd to boo and everytime the opposing team is shooting FT's you have to use a football rivalry. If I want to boo the Cowboys, I'll go to a Redskins game.

Yeah it's undoubtedly lame. But what can you do about it? Rivalries don't mean as much when the seeding is done by conference and the divisions are ceremonial. You need post season chicanery to really develop a rivalry. We had a chance at that with the Cavaliers, but that's pretty much over now. We'll develop it with other teams in time because I think we're on the path for post season runs for the next decade.

I don't mind the crossovers between DC franchises. It'd be super lame if they were trying to channel a completely unrelated rivalry like Yankees--Red Sox. At least they got the Redskins part right. I don't take it necessarily as the Wizards being a second class franchise to the Redskins, although they probably are. I take it as the Wizards and Redskins sharing a fandom. Personally, I'm a newer Wizards fan since, growing up a basketball player, I followed players and not teams. I've been a Redskins fan all of my life. Incorporating that into the Wizards experience can make the transition to fanhood easier or more natural for people like me. Like it or not, people like me will form the majority of new Wizards fans and its a segment of the fan base that Leonsis has to mobilize: Redskins fans are loyal and they are spenders.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

You know another thing, I'd say a majority of Wall's turnovers last night were a result of him trying too hard to feed his teammates. I remember a few where he had a shot himself and instead of taking it, he tried to force a pass to a teammate and it would get picked off. Of course it would help if Cowherd did something other than look at a boxscore and the opening scene of Sportscenter. Like watch the game or something. Crazy concept, I know.

You know another thing, I'd say a majority of Wall's turnovers last night were a result of him trying too hard to feed his teammates. I remember a few where he had a shot himself and instead of taking it, he tried to force a pass to a teammate and it would get picked off. Of course it would help if Cowherd did something other than look at a boxscore and the opening scene of Sportscenter. Like watch the game or something. Crazy concept, I know.

Turnovers are something that will be corrected with a better cast and experience.

Any mediot ****ing about his turnovers in his 3rd NBA game (2 years after he was in HS) is just that: a moron.

Wall is going to be a superstar

Yeah. 3-4 of his turnovers were him giving good passes into the post, only to have Blatche, McGee or Armstrong not fight hard enough for the ball.

That's not to say Wall won't be a high turnover player this year, but he more than makes up for it with the other facets of his game. Not to mention those turnovers will go down when he gets a legit #2 option.

Gil will help Wall with the ball handling duties. Right now Wall is the only guy on the roster who can dribble and create for himself or for others. Hinrich for every good thing he has done so far is extremely lousy at 1 on 1 play. Wall has to do everything right now.

Click on the link to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/03/AR2010110307539.html

John Wall is getting off to record start with Washington Wizards

John Wall goes end-to-end on the court so quickly that he often seems out of control - until you realize that he is totally composed. He offered an example in the fourth quarter of the Washington Wizards' 116-115 overtime win over the Philadelphia 76ers, when he batted the ball away from Evan Turner underneath the 76ers' basket. After leaping to recover it, Wall sprinted and surveyed the floor.

Wall left Turner and Marreese Speights in the dust, then darted around Thaddeus Young, who hopelessly flailed for the ball, connecting only with Wall's shadow. By the time Wall hit half court, only two defenders were in front of him- and both were waiting in the paint. So he sped into the lane and looked to the right corner, where Nick Young was camped out.

Wall zipped out a pass to Young, who buried an open three-pointer. The entire sequence took less than 10 seconds. "The whole time I was pushing it, my eyes was up. Used to be when I was pushing it, my head was down and I couldn't see nobody," Wall said, explaining the sequence. "I'm pushing it at a pace that looks like I'm going real fast, but I'm not. I'm just trying to put pressure on the defense and every time I see a gap or something, I have another gear to get there. I basically thank God for the kind of speed I have."

After Wall's incredible performance in his home debut on Tuesday - when he became the first player in NBA history to ever have a game with 29 points, 13 assists and 9 steals - the Wizards are thankful that they won the lottery this past May and took with the No. 1 overall pick a track star disguised as a basketball player with uncanny court awareness.

"Dude's a rocket," said 76ers reserve Lou Williams, one of several Wizards opponents who have been dumbfounded by Wall's speed.

"He is a point guard," Philadelphia Coach Doug Collins said. "When I say that, a lot of guys get brought up where they say they are point guards, where really they are not. John Wall is a point guard. He's a leader and a winner. Speed. Strength. Size.

Wall has quickly joined some elite company. He became just the fourth player in NBA history to have at least 20 points and 10 assists in his home debut, joining Hall of Famers Isiah Thomas and Oscar Robertson and former NBA champion Norm Nixon.

And through his first three NBA games, Wall has 71 points and 31 assists, which makes him the only player besides Robertson to have at least 70 points and 30 assists through three games (Robertson had 72 and 30 as a rookie for the Cincinnati Royals in 1960-61)

Wall leads the Wizards in scoring and field goal attempts (52) through the first three games, but said his shooting has been more out of necessity than preference."

"When I feel like it's going to be a tough night, I have the ability to get to the basket, draw fouls and find my teammates for easy baskets. I told my team, I don't like shooting more than 12 to 13 shots. That's not me, I'm looking more to pass," Wall said. "I like to get my teammates involved. If you see, I'm more excited when my teammates score than I am. It's great to score, but it's better for me to have my assists."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH