Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm on record as being skeptical of hiring Brooks, but damn has he proven me wrong. I love that he's in every huddle, designing plays. That was one of my biggest gripes with Randy. 

Great win. EG definitely deserves some credit, as much as it pains me to say that. He's whiffed on some acquisitions, but the roster looks pretty formidable right now.

• Like 2

Milwaukee and Miami (currently the #8 and #9 seeds respectively) make me a bit nervous. They are playing well now. For that matter Detroit (currently #7) is too. Is anyone else worried that getting the #1 seed might backfire? I still view us as being the better team in any of those matchups, but I can't help thinking that maybe a matchup with Indy or ATL would be better. Course, this is assuming that the Bucks & Heat don't do further leapfrogging.

Edited by TheItalianStallion

8 hours ago, MonkFan8 said:

Great win. EG definitely deserves some credit, as much as it pains me to say that. He's whiffed on some acquisitions, but the roster looks pretty formidable right now.

**** him, he gets none from me

apparently, the board made me say it twice.  the board knows

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

That game last night was a great reminder as to how electrifying the NBA can be.  I don't watch like I used to but I was glad I tuned in to see that game last night.

Was at happy hour with a good friend the other night, he said that for the NBA you just need to tune in for the final few minutes.  Which I kind of understand but you miss all the drama, the whole storyline of a game....how teams go on runs and close gaps to get to that point where the final few minutes really do matter.

Also, not sure of the Ernie hate 100%.  He's had his ups and downs certainly but he's put this team in a great position to win right now.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Ernie is a poison. Fruit from a poisonous tree is still poison

it will take a championship before I even think of giving him any credit.  as far as i am concerned, when you consider how long he's been here, the scales are nowhere close to being balanced.

3.10.14-AHHC-Blog.png

• Like 2

Y'all lunchin... lol 

Anyway, I'm withholding my praise for EG. Not saying I hate the dude like S.Unknown lol, but a lot of his good things were the results of some very bad things. I know we're chilling in 2nd place in the East. Best record in the LEAGUE since the start of 2017, but he's the bad after taste of this Kool-aid.

In sports, individuals can change their narrative in a heartbeat. I remember Danny Ainge pre 2008. Celtics fans hated him the same way we hated EG. Then he swings deals for KG and Allen, wins a title, and is hailed as one of the best GMs in sports.

Grunfeld does get some credit for the team's current success. More of it goes to Brooks of course, but Grunfeld is the one who hired him. And everyone on the team right now was brought in by Grunfeld one way or another(sure Wall was an automatic gimmie #1 pick but I wouldn't necessarily put Beal and Porter in that same category at the time of their drafting).

Its just funny to me that of all the people this city has brought in to coach/manage teams, it very well could be Ernie effing Grunfeld that breaks the DC sports title curse. Talk about unlikely hero.

I think Grunfield is rhw arsonist firefighter but I'm not hating what's happening. 

On on a side note, Brooks has to be in the running for coach of the year. If the Wiz finish as a top two seed and finish it he year strong. I can't see him not winning it. 

Edited by GoSkinsGo

22 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Trailblazer fans are salty asf...and I LOVE IT! :rofl89:

They had a 21 point lead at halftime. They were playing a team playing its 4th game in 5 nights, and had just played Overtime the night before to boot. Sorry, you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Loser mentality from a loser city.

• Like 1

Ernie and the rest of the front office built a good team.  That's indisputable.  They also made a lot of mistakes along the way, a few of which would have gotten other GMs fired.  Our FO is fortunate that the media ignores the Wizards and Ted is an incredibly patient and loyal owner.

Ernie's chief weakness is his leadership IMO.  There is no stability or trust with him even though he's had the job forever.  He'd throw anyone under the bus to save his own job.  He just likes palling around with the players and, when nobody else is adequately filling the leadership void, we quickly develop a clownish culture of underachievement.  Brooks is filling that void entirely.

But we could have it worse.  The front office has drafted well since they picked Wall, and they finally found the coach to properly develop those picks, although it's terrible that it took them six years to do so.  Vesely was wasted because of Randy IMO.  And the FO's best track record is in making trades for role players.  Shard for Okafor and Ariza.  JaVale and Nick Young for Nene.  Vesely for Miller.  Miller for Sessions.  First rounder for Gortat.  First rounder for Morris.  First rounder and Nicholson for Bojan (if we manage to keep him).  That's kept us afloat and put us in position to make a run this season.