Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Man the first nine games of our schedule suck.

1. 1 - @ Atlanta
  2. 2 - @ Memphis
  3. 3 - Toronto
  4. 4 - Atlanta
  5. 5 - @ Orlando
  6. 6 - Houston
  7. 7 - Boston
  8. 8 - Cleveland
  9. 9 - @ Chicago

We've got Orlando in there, but otherwise don't catch a break until mid November @ Philly.

4-5 over this stretch and we're doing well.  Stealing this one off Memphis is really important.

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Thornton has no future with this team, while Sato does.  I don't think feelings should matter right now.  Honestly, Thornton is lucky to have a job.  Give Sato his minutes and see what he can do. 

Not so much his feelings I'm worried about as the other guys on the team.  If they see you pull a guy after one horrible shooting night they're going to get scared to shoot.  And they're going to think you don't really have a plan for the rotation.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Otto is going to be a championship caliber glue player in a year or two.  If we cut bait on him, we're going to be real sad when he shows up on some contender and wins a ring as their starting SF.

I think you're right, but the Wizards are nowhere a championship caliber team. And probably won't be for a while.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think you're right, but the Wizards are nowhere a championship caliber team. And probably won't be for a while.

I see our only shot at becoming a contender being to acquire an All NBA caliber big man in a trade, and to somehow do so while keeping either Wall or Beal.

So it's not looking like we have a real avenue to do that.

It's going to be hard for Otto to get paid here and for us to have the money to bring in the kind of top notch big man necessary for us to contend.  I think there is a decent chance that Otto walks this summer, or that we're forced to match a painful contract out of fear that we can't attract a decent FA to replace him.

We did run pick and rolls with Marcin, but his feed window is quickly closing. It started last year and is only going to be worse this year. Wall has to feed him off bounce passes or some other sort of wizardry. He can't jump anymore, and gets stuff on his stupid layup drills more often, and absolutely can not oop. Meanwhile harden is out in in Houston tossing lobs somewhere near the basket that ring home every time. Expect this trend of poor interior play to continue.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I see our only shot at becoming a contender being to acquire an All NBA caliber big man in a trade, and to somehow do so while keeping either Wall or Beal.

So it's not looking like we have a real avenue to do that.

It's going to be hard for Otto to get paid here and for us to have the money to bring in the kind of top notch big man necessary for us to contend.  I think there is a decent chance that Otto walks this summer, or that we're forced to match a painful contract out of fear that we can't attract a decent FA to replace him.

It may be better to let him walk, imo.

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Steve, you can't have it both ways.

Start of schedule sucks and expectations that you have presented to us previously. 

Good lord, it was we are going to win 50 games and make the playoffs, etc.  Then after a loss in game one, it's our schedule the first 10 games is brutal. Wasn't brutal before game one.

Not trolling either, just pointing out the facts and agreeing with Kosh.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Maybe you two have trouble handling two discrete ideas in your heads at one time, but predicting that the Wizards can win 50 games AND observing that the first nine games are rough and going 4-5 would be staying on track aren't contradictory.  

The team is fine.  Nobody here is panicking.  Criticizing the team's performance after a loss is normal.  You two might understand that if you bothered to start threads for your own teams instead of drive by posting in here.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Maybe you two have trouble handling two discrete ideas in your heads at one time, but predicting that the Wizards can win 50 games AND observing that the first nine games are rough and going 4-5 would be staying on track aren't contradictory.  

The team is fine.  Nobody here is panicking.  Criticizing the team's performance after a loss is normal.  You two might understand that if you bothered to start threads for your own teams instead of drive by posting in here.

The Wiz can't and won't win 50 games this season.  They are a mediocre team, just like the vast majority of teams in the NBA, including my Hornets.  At some point, y'all need to accept that.  

Don't get upset because we point out the obvious.  You weren't complaining about the schedule until you got beat game 1.  You know, #bestbackcourtintheNBA and all.  

But you know what, I'm not trying to start a fight with y'all.  I love all of y'all as posters, and I'm being serious.  

Edit:  And I'm serious, not trying to start any fights with you guys.  But it always seems like it is doom and gloom posts, or we are winning 50 games and contending.  Yes, I could refuse to read this thread, but I'm part of the community and I don't post on any other forum boards except this one.

• Like 1

Maybe Bullets fans would simply like to engage in some simple "misery loves company" with fellow fans. I am sure we can be miserable about this **** team just fine without trolling input from schmuks in the peanut gallery. God forbid fans be fans in a thread devoted to their team.

7 minutes ago, StuckinIA said:

Maybe Bullets fans would simply like to engage in some simple "misery loves company" with fellow fans. I am sure we can be miserable about this **** team just fine without trolling input from schmuks in the peanut gallery. God forbid fans be fans in a thread devoted to their team.

Okay.  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Thank goodness Hornets Fan is here to help us make sense of all this.

I like you Beal.  I think you are a really great guy.  :cheers:

1 minute ago, StuckinIA said:

Good response. I am sure you just earned a load of rtt-cred. I hope earn your promotion soon.

Okay.  :rolleyes:  Not sure what problem you have with the RTT, but whatever lol.  

You post like 10 times a year, should I be honored that you spent two of them responding to me?  :ols:

Well I'm pretty sure we did say something about the schedule. But honestly, I don't care about it nor do I think we are a 50 win team. I believe I'm on record as saying we are a 48 win team if wall&beal stay healthy. 44 if one goes down. Lottery if both do. 

Look, I like basketball, and I would like to watch a great team play in DC once in my lifetime. It sucks that for many reasons we already knew ( most being Ernie) it just seems impossible. But let's not start this hashtag garbage again. It's just as lame as durant joining golden state. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skin'emAlive said:

Well I'm pretty sure we did say something about the schedule. But honestly, I don't care about it nor do I think we are a 50 win team. I believe I'm on record as saying we are a 48 win team if wall&beal stay healthy. 44 if one goes down. Lottery if both do. 

Look, I like basketball, and I would like to watch a great team play in DC once in my lifetime. It sucks that for many reasons we already knew ( most being Ernie) it just seems impossible. But let's not start this hashtag garbage again. It's just as lame as durant joining golden state. 

I think I said, if healthy I'd see y'all winning 43-45 games.  My team, not so much, unless we get lucky and play beyond expectations.  I'll quit tossing that hashtag out there, even though it was in jest.  

18 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Okay.  :rolleyes:  Not sure what problem you have with the RTT, but whatever lol.  

Just thought it was cute that you ran back to the rtt thread to let everyone know about the sensitive Wiz fans.

As far as posts go, I typically just read the board for entertainment and news on the teams I grew up following. I appreciate the local insight from the fans that I do not get from the the press. I really have nothing useful to contribute because of the many great posters on this site. stevemcqueen, in particular, is one of my favorites. True, he gets excitable about the Wis, and go from 50 wins to missing the playoffs in a matter of hours. This team is a cluster**** nightmare. However, he is one of the main reasons I check into Tailgate. I appreciate his insight and enthusiasm.

Just now, StuckinIA said:

Just thought it was cute that you ran back to the rtt thread to let everyone know about the sensitive Wiz fans.

As far as posts go, I typically just read the board for entertainment and news on the teams I grew up following. I appreciate the local insight from the fans that I do not get from the the press. I really have nothing useful to contribute because of the many great posters on this site. stevemcqueen, in particular, is one of my favorites. True, he gets excitable about the Wis, and go from 50 wins to missing the playoffs in a matter of hours. This team is a cluster**** nightmare. However, he is one of the main reasons I check into Tailgate. I appreciate his insight and enthusiasm.

It's cool man.  Like I said, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything.  I like Steve's posts too, even the lengthy ones. 

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's cool man.  Like I said, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything.  I like Steve's posts too, even the lengthy ones. 

It's all good here as well. Sorry for coming off snippy. I drifted to this site years ago to escape trolls.