Which player is the best passer?

1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 71.4%

2. LeBron James, Cleveland -- 10.7%

3. Stephen Curry, Golden State -- 7.1%

4. Rajon Rondo, Sacramento -- 7.1%

5. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota -- 3.6%

CvVpAo1XYAAr6GZ.jpg:large

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Scoring isn't the issue.  It's the fact that this franchise is a marketing black hole.  He plays in anonymity here.

I'm wondering if GMs simply aren't ****ting on anything at all relating to Ernie Grunfeld.  We've seen Wall lead the way in upset victories in the playoffs already, his advanced stats show that his assist numbers don't come close to conveying how valuable he is, and he's a consistent allstar.  There is no logical reason for people as plugged into the league as GMs to forget to mention Wall in the conversation of best passers. 

Washington is a marketing black hole, but GMs aren't consumers.  They should know the difference between a guy that consistently draws two defenders in order to create an assist opportunity and a bum like Ricky Rubio. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I'm wondering if GMs simply aren't ****ting on anything at all relating to Ernie Grunfeld.  We've seen Wall lead the way in upset victories in the playoffs already, his advanced stats show that his assist numbers don't come close to conveying how valuable he is, and he's a consistent allstar.  There is no logical reason for people as plugged into the league as GMs to forget to mention Wall in the conversation of best passers. 

Washington is a marketing black hole, but GMs aren't consumers.  They should know the difference between a guy that consistently draws two defenders in order to create an assist opportunity and a bum like Ricky Rubio. 

Yeah but GMs are susceptible to being influenced by Q ratings, same as everyone.  John's Q rating is low because he plays here and nobody watches him, plus we missed the playoffs last season, which is the only time lots of people watch him.  The simplest explanation for why John was left off those survey results is because the GMs just forgot about him.  Answering a question on a survey such as "who is the best passer" is based on a visual/emotional memory.  "LeBron is my answer because the time I watched him kill that team with his brilliant passing is seared into my mind."  The quality of his passing is known and discussed among all of my peers.

Also, I'm pretty sure NBA GMs don't do advanced scouting of regular season opponents like coaches do.  I think it's likely that most NBA GMs didn't watch John play more than once or twice last season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah but GMs are susceptible to being influenced by Q ratings, same as everyone.  John's Q rating is low because he plays here and nobody watches him, plus we missed the playoffs last season, which is the only time lots of people watch him.  The simplest explanation for why John was left off those survey results is because the GMs just forgot about him.  Answering a question on a survey such as "who is the best passer" is based on a visual/emotional memory.  "LeBron is my answer because the time I watched him kill that team with his brilliant passing is seared into my mind."  The quality of his passing is known and discussed among all of my peers.

Also, I'm pretty sure NBA GMs don't do advanced scouting of regular season opponents like coaches do.  I think it's likely that most NBA GMs didn't watch John play more than once or twice last season.

I dont buy that.  The simplest answer is their opinion is different than ours.  Marketing or scouting or any of that doesnt explain Rubio being on the list.  Rubio's not exactly Johnny Hollywood either. Rubio came into the league as a great passer.  He has his issues, passing isnt one of 'em.  That's probably the one thing he's good at.

Looking at that list, I wouldnt put Wall above any if them in that one specific category.  Not to say he's not with some of those guys, but there can be only 5.  Somebody aint gonna make it

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I dont buy that.  The simplest answer is their opinion is different than ours. 

I don't think it's that simple because he's been consistently under valued as a passer in those GM surveys.  This latest one if looked at alone could be explained by GMs frowning about turnovers.  No player on that list averaged over 4 and John Wall did.  That's unacceptably high. 

FWIW, somebody can check my math, but the vote count went:

Paul - 21 votes

Lebron - 3 votes

Curry - 2 votes

Rondo - 2 votes

Rubio - 1 vote

I was rounding, so that's only 29 votes, but you get the gist. When you look at it like that, it doesnt seem that big a deal.  It was Paul and everybody else.

Edited by justice98

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wizards-wall-and-beal-cant-worry-about-what-other-people-think-151714895.html

John Wall has been in the place where Bradley Beal currently resides. Rewarded a maximum contract following an injury-plagued season and before making his first All-Star team, Wall can relate to Beal getting paid more for potential and promise over actual production.

But as he sat down recently with his backcourt mate – with a résumé that now includes three All-Star appearances and two second-round postseason runs – Wall and the Washington Wizards both feel vindicated that the five-year, $86 million extension he signed in the summer of 2013 now looks like a bargain under the current salary structure. So, as Beal is set to start the first year of a five-year, $128-million pact signed last July, Wall asks for those looking for reasons to pan the deal to just chill.

“He had injuries the last couple of years and they’re like, ‘He don’t deserve it.’ Let him get a chance to earn it,” Wall told The Vertical. “Let him be an All-Star. Let him see if he can be healthy for a whole season and see what he can do. … I want him to be an All-Star, just like I am. It’s no fun when it’s just one guy. If another guy is there, it makes it more fun.”

Wall’s plea to give Beal some room to grow is evidence of the respect both players have for each other. Wall and Beal aren’t the best of friends nor the worst of enemies, although their willingness last summer to publicly admit that they don’t always see eye-to-eye on the court led to speculation that the union was too tenuous to survive.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2016 at 3:09 PM, Fergasun said:

Yeah, that winning franchise is why Rubio is recognized...

Thank you.  I wish it was about the winning, but when I see guys like Kyrie getting rated as a better POINT GUARD, I know it has nothing to do with his assist numbers.  Wall makes great passes, but not enough sportscenter scores himself.  It's one thing to take over the game as a PG, but I still feel people rated higher then him are getting it because of their ability to make more offensive plays themselves.  That's partly him being selfless, and partially because he still hasn't gotten that mid-range jumpshot down pat (or consistent three point shooting).  But he will...

Edited by Renegade7

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wizards-wall-and-beal-cant-worry-about-what-other-people-think-151714895.html

“He had injuries the last couple of years and they’re like, ‘He don’t deserve it.’ Let him get a chance to earn it,” Wall told The Vertical. “Let him be an All-Star. Let him see if he can be healthy for a whole season and see what he can do. … I want him to be an All-Star, just like I am. It’s no fun when it’s just one guy. If another guy is there, it makes it more fun.”

Translation:  "Time for you to finally get on my level!" 

• Like 4