Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wizards are going to win 68 total games season + postseason.  12 or 13 of them will come against Cleveland and Golden State.

you mentioned an ECF finals lost to the cavs, so that puts the playoff win total at 11 maximum. You got us winning 57 regular season games?

love the optimism, but i don't see it. our biggest free agent move is down with an injury that will likely reoccur in some form during the season.  Just can't see a team that has never won 50 suddenly jumping to 57

as for the other part, we only play Golden St twice, and the Cavs a maximum of 10. Am I missing something? 

10 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I think he was being sarcastic in response to some clown comments. 

If directed at me, it was a joke.  But I don't think they win 50 games.  If healthy, 43-45 would be my best guess, low playoff seed 6-8.  Vegas odds are 42.5 wins for the Wiz (not sure if that has been updated yet) and my Hornets odds were 40.5.  I don't expect the Hornets to make the playoffs unless they exceed expectations.  If the Wiz stay healthy I can see them in the playoffs.  

Edit:  Those were odds listed in one article from a couple of weeks ago.  I just looked at opening odds and the Hornets were 39.5 and Wiz were 42.5.  Just looked at another site (oddsshark.com) and both Hornets and Wiz were 42.5.  I'm still not convinced that my Hornets win more than 39-40 games though.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

If we would've got Horford I'd say 50 is possible but having to settle for Nicolson, Smith and Mahinmi was a huge let down. We blew our cap space on a bunch of back ups. I still think the core group of players has a lot of potential but we really needed a solid bigman and we still don't have that. 

I know you were joking, fam. But 4 years of beal injuries, plus Gil and wall knee surgeries, injury jokes are a sore spot. That being said, and I think I posted this before, but if they stay healthy it's a guaranteed playoff spot with 48 wins. If either miss some time, it's another 44 win season. 50 wins is just unfathomable here in DC. Not getting my hopes up for something like that. 

Id feel much better about the season if we chose to use the money we put towards Mahinmi/Smith/Thornton on Crabbe to solidify the backup 2 guard and 6th man spot. 

16 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I know you were joking, fam. But 4 years of beal injuries, plus Gil and wall knee surgeries, injury jokes are a sore spot. That being said, and I think I posted this before, but if they stay healthy it's a guaranteed playoff spot with 48 wins. If either miss some time, it's another 44 win season. 50 wins is just unfathomable here in DC. Not getting my hopes up for something like that. 

Id feel much better about the season if we chose to use the money we put towards Mahinmi/Smith/Thornton on Crabbe to solidify the backup 2 guard and 6th man spot. 

It was in bad taste, I agree.  

In all seriousness though, don't be shocked if we break 50.  What's the difference between Toronto and us?  Nothing.  They were 40 wins midseed grinders for a few years before they broke through last season and got 56 wins and a two seed.  And they are pretenders.

Now that our coaching problem is fixed, there is no reason why this team can't break 50 and get a 2 or 3 seed and beat any EC team other than Cleveland in a playoff series.

i'm not completely sold on hiring Brooks equating to the coaching problem being fixed.  Simply being "Not Wittman" doesn't necessarily equate to being good. Agree with the rest though, a healthy Wizards team should be in the mix for runner up in the East.  I expect Indiana & Boston will have some say as well

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What's the difference between Toronto and us?  Nothing.

In the playoffs I see little difference but in the regular season:  Consistency.  Team chemistry.  Health.  Both of their stars average 20+ points and neither of ours ever have.  That's not nothing.  

8 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

i'm not completely sold on hiring Brooks equating to the coaching problem being fixed.  Simply being "Not Wittman" doesn't necessarily equate to being good. Agree with the rest though, a healthy Wizards team should be in the mix for runner up in the East.  I expect Indiana & Boston will have some say as well

Brooks feels like a real coach to me.  He's said all of the right things since he was hired and his strength in developing young players is probably the #1 thing we needed because it was one of Randy's biggest weaknesses.

But the truth is that Randy led such a weak staff that it would actually be hard for Brooks not to be a significant upgrade.  Randy was a mom and pop coach.  Moving on from him is a signal that the Wizards are trying not to be a mom and pop team any more.  We'll see how far they've actually come, but I think Brooks is going to make a really big difference.  Coaching is important.

7 hours ago, Destino said:

In the playoffs I see little difference but in the regular season:  Consistency.  Team chemistry.  Health.  Both of their stars average 20+ points and neither of ours ever have.  That's not nothing.  

John averaged 19.9 last season.  He's 20/10 player.  He's a better scorer than Lowry, who is a second option that's really only capable of scoring from two spots on the court.  And he generates more team scoring than Lowry does because of all the baskets he creates for teammates.

Beal ain't DeRozan.  But Beal looks better this year.  He could be close.  I think Beal will average 20 PPG.  He and Wall are trading first option duties in the preseason and Beal has actually been more of a go to player than Wall.  He's going to lead the team in per game scoring.

Consistency, chemistry, and health are all valid concerns.  One of Toronto's biggest advantages over us the past couple of seasons was their quality of depth.  Casey is a better coach than Wittman too.  I don't think he's a better coach than Brooks though.  And Toronto's depth has been whittled away.  Corey Joseph, Pat Patterson, and Terrence Ross are the only good bench players they have left.  Ross isn't great.  And Patterson probably has to start because Jared Sullinger's injury has done a number on their big man rotation.

Our starters are better than theirs.  Our bench is better than theirs.  And I think our coaching might be better than theirs.  Plus I think there will be some hangover effect.  Lowry is coming off a career year where he set highs in minutes and games played.  He's due for some regression, as is their team.  I think Boston wins the Atlantic and we finish in front of the Raptors in the standings.

• Like 1

I really hope all of that comes true, but I, like many others here, can see the pattern of pre-season/early season optimism turn into depression and apathy by January. And it's the same stuff happening over and over. I think we can all agree that if Beal has yet another year where he misses half the season due to injuries, we're going to be no where near 50 wins and a deep run in the playoffs. 

Public Service Announcement.

Rather than make fun of the folks that predicted 50+ wins last year and the one or two guys that predicted 60 wins (you know who you are) please understand that The Bullets / Wizards have won 50 games exactly ZERO times since 1980. 

Carry on.

20 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Rather than make fun of the folks that predicted 50+ wins last year and the one or two guys that predicted 60 wins (you know who you are) please understand that The Bullets / Wizards have won 50 games exactly ZERO times since 1980. 

Carry on.

Streaks are made to be broken...nothing wrong with optimism.  Coming off the heels of how they fared in the playoffs the season before, I don't think guessing they'd win 50+ is that outlandish. 

Optimistically, I'm thinking 52 wins this year....that's with optimal health.

Realistically, I'm thinking around 46.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

Carry on.

Actually it was the 1978-79 season.  Back it up one year.  I watched the 1977 team win 44 games and win the NBA title, then watched them win 54 games the following year and lose to Seattle in the rematch.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

Actually it was the 1978-79 season.  Back it up one year.  I watched the 1977 team win 44 games and win the NBA title, then watched them win 54 games the following year and lose to Seattle in the rematch.

So how many 50 win seasons have the Bullets / Wizards had since 1980?    :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Wondering what the odds would be on a "what happens first" bet: man walks on Mars vs Wizards 50 wins. 10-1?

Wizards will get to 50 wins first.  A healthy Wall and Beal keeps that possible, a lot more moving parts needed to get to Mars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Streaks are made to be broken...nothing wrong with optimism.  Coming off the heels of how they fared in the playoffs the season before, I don't think guessing they'd win 50+ is that outlandish. 

Optimistically, I'm thinking 52 wins this year....that's with optimal health.

Realistically, I'm thinking around 46.

Nah man ain't nothing wrong with optimism.  There's not necessarily anything wrong with homerism either (which I'm not accusing you of.) 

I've just been watching The Curse O’ Les Boulez unfold for a long time.  I hope Scott Brooks is the start of the cure.   

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Wizards will get to 50 wins first.  A healthy Wall and Beal keeps that possible, a lot more moving parts needed to get to Mars.

Well yeah that's why I would make Mars 10-1 underdogs. They're saying Mars in 2030 is possible so what would you make the odds?

(And I've never really gotten into gambling outside of point spreads so sorry is I'm ****ing up the odds thing. You know what I mean though. 50 wins is the favorite, Mars is the underdog.)

• Like 1