Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That is a pretty weak signing. Mahinmi is a solid player, but I would have preferred Jared Sullinger at that price. 16 million per year is too much to spend on a back up C. Ernie got desperate and blinked.

Just throwing money around now to see if he can save his job. At spend it on someone young with potential upside. Ugh.

The one silver lining with Mahinmi is that he is a fantastic defensive player. That gives you a lot of line up flexibility when you have a guy like that at C. But I can't think of any good offense-oriented players left out there at PF.

This is where getting Ryan Anderson would have been big. But I'm not going to complain about losing out on him. 36 million per year for the next four years committed to Ian Mahinmi and Ryan Anderson would have been a ****ing nightmare.

• Like 1

^^ That. That's what makes it so bad so disgusting and so depressing. We have talent. And we're doing nothing. It's all bull****. We have nothing to look forward to. I'd rather be dead last in the conference then this bull****.

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

^^ That. That's what makes it so bad so disgusting and so depressing. We have talent. And we're doing nothing. It's all bull****. We have nothing to look forward to. I'd rather be dead last in the conference then this bull****.

To be fair, i doubt it's because they're sitting on their hands. If people dont wanna play for your franchise, there's not a whole lot you can do. They've got money burning a hole in their pocket and cant get anybody to take it.

Centers are expensive, and when you can't draft bigs if your life depended on it like Grunfeld... you've got to pay the price. 16 million a year to cover Ernie's past failures. I'd be more upset if I wasn't used to it.

Whatever. Just going to watch this play out with hope we get quality depth players from here. I agree, we blinked out of desperation in how much we paid the guy, but in immediate sense he does feel a need and we are a better team. This is a playoff team, I stand by that. Are there really 8 teams better then us in the East?

Let's see:

For sure:

Cleveland

Boston

Toronto

Atlanta

Indiana

Debatable (if healthy):

Miami

Detroit

Charlotte

Just gotta stay healthy and pick up some solid role players. Even then, the max is like a 4 seed unless some players make a serious improvement. Kinda like being the Atlanta Hawks of the mid to late 2000s

Mahinmi. He's alright. I have nothing bad to say about him. But he is in his 30's already. Additionally, Indiana just upgraded from Mahinmi to professor Al Jefferson... AND for Less! I can guarantee that we do not have Howard or Whiteside because the front office made promises to Marcin and didnt want to hurt his feelings. That's some losing ****. Why is Ernie still here. 3 years of leading up to this utter failure and we couldnt even overpay for a young player with upside.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

- Curious to see just how good Atlanta is next season. Maybe Dwight rejuvenates his career there next season and they are really good. They could be the best defensive team in the NBA.

Or maybe he continues his decline and Atlanta just got a lot worse. They're a wild card.

- Boston got way better. Horford gives a lot of credibility to what had been a well coached team of overachieving role players who had no real hope of advancing in the postseason. They're going to continue to overachieve in the regular season and get a high seed, but now they have the talent to get out of the first round.

- Indy has completely abandoned their old identity of an offensively inept defensive powerhouse. Nate McMillan is a good coach but he's the opposite of Vogel. Jefferson is the opposite of Hibbert and Mahinmi. Teague is the opposite of Hill. That team is going to be soft as hell defensively but their offense is probably going to be awesome. Another wild card, but I think they're going to be good.

- Toronto has gotten a little worse. I think they may have peaked last season. They'll have a better record than we will but we would beat them again in the playoffs.

- Charlotte got substantially worse. This doesn't look like a playoff team any more.

- Orlando got better, could be a fringe playoff team.

- Miami is in flux. They've lost a lot of guys and they've got a lot riding on Wade and Bosh, both unknowns at this point.

- Cleveland got a little worse but they are so far ahead of the pack that they can easily cope with it.

- Milwaukee seems to be spinning their wheels. That team has talent but it is poorly balanced.

- Detroit got a little better. They are going to continue trending upward. Still not ready to win a playoff series yet though.

- The Bulls have started tanking.

- The 76ers will be awful again

- The Nets are a bottom feeder

- Who knows WTF the Knicks are. Their moves could buy them a low seed but that team is shaky as Hell. They've got zero future outside of Kristaps but they could get a decent seed next year.

Looks like we'll be jockeying for the low seeds with Miami, Detroit, and New York next season.

Mahinmi was a six win share player last year. He was also fourth in DRPM among centers, and 17th in RPM wins with a little over 6. He's good. One of the best defensive players in the NBA. The problem is that he grew into a 25 MPG player last season and we already have a guy who is better than him, at the same position, who is going to take up 30 MPG.

And both are pure centers. I don't know how you are going to get Mahinmi enough minutes to properly utilize him as this roster is currently constructed.

We're going to have to explore Gortat trades. I think we'd have been better off keeping Gortat as our starter and signing Cole Aldrich for cheaper to fill the back up C role.