Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't know I'd be pretty thrilled to get Buddy Hield. I think Ben Simmons will be a bust though.

I doubt he'll bust. 6'10 excellent passer and defender with handles? He's going to have to develop either an outside shot or some post moves but he could be a Draymond Green type player on the right team. He doesn't look like a superstar though.

Speaking of the draft, I've paid zero attention to it and just looked at a mock. Dragan Bender? That is a great name.

I doubt he'll bust. 6'10 excellent passer and defender with handles? He's going to have to develop either an outside shot or some post moves but he could be a Draymond Green type player on the right team. He doesn't look like a superstar though.

Speaking of the draft, I've paid zero attention to it and just looked at a mock. Dragan Bender? That is a great name.

My theory is, the truly great college players all win in college, at least to some extent. Simmons didn't even make the NCAA tournament. That's a big red flag for me.

Look at the guys who become great in the NBA. They won in college. Melo won a title. Rose got to the title game. Durant made the Sweet 16 I believe. Wade a Final Four. Wall an Elite 8. List goes on and on.

Younger brother of Ivan Bender at UMD. Ivan was hurt last year and played sparingly this year, though showed some nice bball savvy when he got some time.

Word is little bro is the real deal, and in 6-10 years time will be the star of this draft.

• Like 1

Morris and his superb contract are clearly a better option than a dude named, Skal. Our future lies in what plan B is and the abilities of Brooks as a coach outside of Durant/Westbrook. Not some middle of the pack 1st rounder that wouldn't have helped solve our obvious problems at the 4 prior to Morris' arrival.

• Like 1

Morris and his superb contract are clearly a better option than a dude named, Skal. Our future lies in what plan B is and the abilities of Brooks as a coach outside of Durant/Westbrook. Not some middle of the pack 1st rounder that wouldn't have helped solve our obvious problems at the 4 prior to Morris' arrival.

Sure. But Ernie is a horse's ass for not getting--as a minimum--lottery protection on the draft pick. He paid full price for an asset Phoenix was desperate to be rid of.

Rolling the dice on bigs like Labissiere can have a huge payoff too. What if he ends up being another Rudy Gobert or Nerlens Noel? He had that kind of pedigree.

We've lost our opportunities to get a home grown big by being far too wasteful with draft picks.

It very likely didn't have to be either draft pick or Morris. Ernie agreed to **** protection on the pick. There was a very real chance we were going to miss the playoffs at the time the deal was made. And, once again, Phoenix was desperate to get rid of Morris. They were practically trying to give him away.

But anyway, let's not talk like late lotto picks don't have value. Even in "bad" classes. Klay Thompson went 11th and Kawhi Leonard went 15th in a horrible draft class. CJ McCollum, Stephen Adams, Kelly Olynyk, Giannis Antetokounpo, and Rudy Gobert went 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th, and 27th in a draft class that was supposed to be the worst one since 2000.

Hell we got Kelly Olynyk with a 15th pick last year and this kid is going to be big time for us. We absolutely could have gotten something with the 13th pick this year.

• Like 1

Not having a pick doesn't really bother me. This draft is crap, Morris is a borderline all star when he is on with a very friendly team contract.  He is worth more than pick in the teens in this crap draft

I swear Grunfeld is poisoning minds in this thread

• Like 4

Okay that is great, but you can't have it both ways. We don't have a pick, but we have Morris. People seem to like to run with the narrative that we don't have a pick and we got nothing for it.

No sense in getting a project as Wall is going to be 26. His prime is now. Morris is in his prime, team friendly contract, has been a borderline all-star before

• Like 1

It's not. Keef is at least a good, starting caliber player. But it was still wasteful. The record on Ernie needs to note the context of Keef's situation in Phoenix. They were desperate to move him. Keef had demanded a trade in the offseason and subsequently shut it down on Phoenix, had felony assault charges pending, was playing like utter ****, lost his starting job, and had a tantrum where he threw a towel at his head coach in the middle of a game. His value was at an all time low. Ernie overpaid for him.

I find that hard to believe... but ok. Maybe Suns had other deals lined up that also included minimal protection of lottery picks.

Toronto, Cleveland, and Wiz were all interested in him.

*I'm Fergasun - and Ernie Grunfeld approved this message.

Is this a fact, or opinion?

It's a fact because grunfield was the only one to offer a pick and Phoenix was desperate to move Morris. We had leverage. When you have leverage you don't offer stuff to sweeten the deal. You don't need to, because you aren't the one with the toxic player you need to get out the locker room. How is this a discussion? It's negotiations 101.