Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think Nick Young is going to stay. He would be a nice six man option; sort of our version of Jason Terry.

That's the role I liked him in to start the season and that's how he's closing out. IMO, Nick Young's value is that he's a good crunchtime shooter and scorer. You can put him in at the end of games and feel good about his shot and ability to make his free throws. And unlike similar types of scorers, he's a decent defender now so you don't have to have a heart attack about him on the other end.

He's also a good matchup player because of how tall and long he is. He becomes one of your best scoring options against teams without two good defensive guards that have their best perimeter defender playing Wall and have to bring a small forward over to try and stop Young. That's a matchup he'll generally win. I think that's why he has typically played well against teams like the Heat. He's also useful because Crawford is only 6'4 and Young gives you at least a chance to slow tall 2 guards like Tyreke Evans and Kobe Bryant.

I don't think he should start over Crawford though. Once Crawford gets his shot down and isn't so wild, he's going to be deadly. He's got a clutch scorer's pedigree and mentality and the confidence to shoot the lights out. He won't shy from big moments. Not only that, Crawford can handle the ball and pass so our offense opens up a lot more from having two guards on the floor that can facilitate.

I'd try and give Young an extension as long as he understood he's going to be the sixth man and only get about 25 minutes a game. If he's cool with that then it'd be great to keep him.

I''m holding on to Andray.

And that's alI have to say about that subject. :)

x2, I would as well atleast till next seasons trade deadline.

Blatche is immature but I think alot of people forget he is still very young at 24. He came straight outta high school so he did'nt even get that college expercience of growing up on his own. He has alot of tools and i'd like to give him atleast 1 healthy offseason to see how he plays next year. We are so young and his contract is very reasonable we can afford to wait atleast 1 more year for him. He needs to improve his effort no doubt but hopefully that comes.

Crawford is flatout to small to be a starting 2 guard playing big minutes. I think with a Wall/ NY1 back court with Crawford getting big minutes being the 3rd guard is perfect he can steal minutes at PG and OG. I honestly think he looks much better at PG in my opinion.

Crawford is long though. He's still a bit skinny but I think he'll bulk up some. Dwyane Wade wasn't as beefy as he is now when he was a rookie (he also wasn't as skinny as Crawford is, but my point remains). Wade is strong and thick, but he's an example of a guy with Crawford's height and length that is an outstanding two way shooting guard. It can be done.

I don't know how to describe it but I just feel like we're a better team when Crawford is on the floor than when Young is. The effect isn't necessarily just contained to the 2 spot. It's felt at positions 1, 3, 4, and 5 too. He's a better passer and facilitator and he's already really far along on the offensive end when you remember he's just a rookie. Young was nowhere near this good this fast. Crawford's shot will get better too so he'll eventually become an efficient scorer. He'll also become a better defender. I'd try and manage their minutes by giving Young ~ 30, Crawford ~ 35, and Wall ~ 38 as an average night.

That's the role I liked him in to start the season and that's how he's closing out. IMO, Nick Young's value is that he's a good crunchtime shooter and scorer. You can put him in at the end of games and feel good about his shot and ability to make his free throws. And unlike similar types of scorers, he's a decent defender now so you don't have to have a heart attack about him on the other end.

He's also a good matchup player because of how tall and long he is. He becomes one of your best scoring options against teams without two good defensive guards that have their best perimeter defender playing Wall and have to bring a small forward over to try and stop Young. That's a matchup he'll generally win. I think that's why he has typically played well against teams like the Heat. He's also useful because Crawford is only 6'4 and Young gives you at least a chance to slow tall 2 guards like Tyreke Evans and Kobe Bryant.

I don't think he should start over Crawford though. Once Crawford gets his shot down and isn't so wild, he's going to be deadly. He's got a clutch scorer's pedigree and mentality and the confidence to shoot the lights out. He won't shy from big moments. Not only that, Crawford can handle the ball and pass so our offense opens up a lot more from having two guards on the floor that can facilitate.

I'd try and give Young an extension as long as he understood he's going to be the sixth man and only get about 25 minutes a game. If he's cool with that then it'd be great to keep him.

There is no way Crawford starts over NY at the off guard spot. NY is bigger, better defender and a way more effcient scorer not only that but unlike Crawford he is a true OG. NY can shoot off screens and can get his shot againest anyone 1 on 1 off the dribble. Crawford is the true defintion of a combo guard he is a tweener 1/2 but can steal minutes at both spots. I honestly think he plays much better at the PG spot but should see minutes at both spots. Crawford also has a aggressive nature to his game which is perfect for that sparkplug 6th man role.

Makes me pretty happy to think we are discussing splitting time between three really quality players. I don't think it's far fetched to assume that Young, Wall and Crawford can be one of the best, if not the best guard rotation in the league.

As much as it pains me to say, props to Ernie. Atlanta got raped. Turning Kirk Hinrich into 3 first round picks is mind boggling. Kirk ****ing Hinrich.

Edited by No Excuses

Fact is Blatche is far and away our best option at the 4. That isn't likely to change even after this years draft. As I've said before, I can't defend his poor play earlier this season, but when he's motivated and healthy he's a very good player. I'd still like to see what he can do on a competitive team with big minutes.

Hopefully Wall's impact has a positive effect on how the rest of the team spends their off season, cause you know Wall is going to go hard.

Crawford is long though. He's still a bit skinny but I think he'll bulk up some. Dwyane Wade wasn't as beefy as he is now when he was a rookie (he also wasn't as skinny as Crawford is, but my point remains). Wade is strong and thick, but he's an example of a guy with Crawford's height and length that is an outstanding two way shooting guard. It can be done.

I don't know how to describe it but I just feel like we're a better team when Crawford is on the floor than when Young is. The effect isn't necessarily just contained to the 2 spot. It's felt at positions 1, 3, 4, and 5 too. He's a better passer and facilitator and he's already really far along on the offensive end when you remember he's just a rookie. Young was nowhere near this good this fast. Crawford's shot will get better too so he'll eventually become an efficient scorer. He'll also become a better defender. I'd try and manage their minutes by giving Young ~ 30, Crawford ~ 35, and Wall ~ 38 as an average night.

Wade is a rare specimen and was a animal in college. Wade has always played big and very well off contact his strenght was there in college. Wade also stole alot of his minutes at PG early on.

Crawford has no chance againest good 2 guards and most of the guys are the main scorers on there teams. Crawford has a very aggressive nature to his game that is perfect to be the 6th man plus he can play both spots. NY can't play PG like Crawford. I'd love our back court next year if its Wall/Young with Crawford being the 3rd guard off the bench. Those 3 guys can lockdown all the guard minutes and play 30 minutes plus because NY will probably steal a few more minutes at the 3.

If we are'nt starting NY then he will be let go because he is gonna command a decent sized contract. NY is a much better player when given starter minutes and allowed to get into the flow of the game.

Long term, assuming a new contract doesn't get in his head, Young would be the better starting SG. At 6'6'' he's not completely mismatched against other SGs, he's a better defender and better pure shooter. Crawford will make a great 6th man though, but the problem is he is a volume shooter. He can shoot us back into games, but he can also shoot us out of them.

Crawford's success does lower Young's value though, I wouldn't give him any more than $5 Mil a year or so. I don't see him getting much more than that on the open market anyway, his value has probably gone down compared to what it was a couple months ago due to the injury.

There is no way Crawford starts over NY at the off guard spot. NY is bigger, better defender and a way more effcient scorer not only that but unlike Crawford he is a true OG. NY can shoot off screens and can get his shot againest anyone 1 on 1 off the dribble. Crawford is the true defintion of a combo guard he is a tweener 1/2 but can steal minutes at both spots. I honestly think he plays much better at the PG spot but should see minutes at both spots. Crawford also has a aggressive nature to his game which is perfect for that sparkplug 6th man role.

You could say the same about Young.

Crawford opens our offensive looks up more because he can handle the ball and pass. He takes the burden off of Wall and lets Wall use his prodigious scoring gifts. Crawford can run the point while Wall is on the floor and that's a tremendous advantage IMO. Look at how tough the Heat are to defend because they've got facilitators and finishers in Wade and James plus whoever their PG ends up being. Crawford can score as well as anyone and has terrific instincts. But look at how much better everyone else plays alongside Crawford than they do alongside NY. Wall's averages are going up and he becomes a complimentary perimeter threat. Javale has come out of his shell and has started to become a more important part of our offense. We're actually getting sensible and consistent production out of rotational quality forwards like Evans and Booker whereas we got absolutely nothing from before when Young was starting.

When NY was starting, the only two players who made significant contributions of the offensive end were him and Blatche, and Blatche really only did so because he'd jack 25+ shots a game. In theory our offense should be a lot better with NY on the court than Crawford because he's a purist 2 and more efficient scorer. But that's definitely not the case. Crawford and Wall have a lot better chemistry even though they've only played about 10 games together.

Crawford's shooting percentages aren't good right now but you've got to remember he's a 22 year old rookie. NY took forever to come along and reach his efficiency levels. Crawford is getting better every game. Give him three or four years in the league like Young and I think he'll be just as good.

NY may be a more natural 2 than Crawford because of his body type but we're a better team when Crawford starts. He's a bigger talent IMO and length aside, he's got higher potential. We've got a good thing going with a Wall/Crawford backcourt. We should try not to mess it up by over-thinking it. The two rookie phenoms who got triple doubles within their first 10 career starts should continue starting.

Long term, assuming a new contract doesn't get in his head, Young would be the better starting SG. At 6'6'' he's not completely mismatched against other SGs, he's a better defender and better pure shooter. Crawford will make a great 6th man though, but the problem is he is a volume shooter. He can shoot us back into games, but he can also shoot us out of them.

Crawford's success does lower Young's value though, I wouldn't give him any more than $5 Mil a year or so. I don't see him getting much more than that on the open market anyway, his value has probably gone down compared to what it was a couple months ago due to the injury.

The injury might help with his value earlier this year he was playing so lights out I figured 7-8million per would be the starting point.

Crawford is a shot jacker though no doubt and has horrible shooting percentages for a guard sub 40%. I think playing the 6th man role is perfect for him with his aggressive nature.

Here are his Wizards numbers playing 31mpg

Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

10-11 ATL 16 0 10.0 0.351 0.333 0.667 0.6 1.2 1.8 0.9 0.2 0.0 0.9 0.8 4.2

10-11 WAS 19 11 31.6 0.393 0.232 0.850 0.9 2.3 3.2 3.7 1.5 0.2 2.6 1.7 16.2

here are NY's

Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

10-11 WAS 64 40 31.8 0.441 0.387 0.816 0.4 2.3 2.7 1.2 0.7 0.3 1.4 2.2 17.4

NY has a 44% fg and 38% 3 ball which is outstanding for a volume shooting 2 guard. He shoots as good from 3 land then Crawford does from the field.

Edited by Samuels

You could say the same about Young.

Crawford opens our offensive looks up more because he can handle the ball and pass. He takes the burden off of Wall and lets Wall use his prodigious scoring gifts. Crawford can run the point while Wall is on the floor and that's a tremendous advantage IMO. Look at how tough the Heat are to defend because they've got facilitators and finishers in Wade and James plus whoever their PG ends up being. Crawford can score as well as anyone and has terrific instincts. But look at how much better everyone else plays alongside Crawford than they do alongside NY. Wall's averages are going up and he becomes a complimentary perimeter threat. Javale has come out of his shell and has started to become a more important part of our offense. We're actually getting sensible and consistent production out of rotational quality forwards like Evans and Booker whereas we got absolutely nothing from before when Young was starting.

When NY was starting, the only two players who made significant contributions of the offensive end were him and Blatche, and Blatche really only did so because he'd jack 25+ shots a game. In theory our offense should be a lot better with NY on the court than Crawford because he's a purist 2 and more efficient scorer. But that's definitely not the case. Crawford and Wall have a lot better chemistry even though they've only played about 10 games together.

Crawford's shooting percentages aren't good right now but you've got to remember he's a 22 year old rookie. NY took forever to come along and reach his efficiency levels. Crawford is getting better every game. Give him three or four years in the league like Young and I think he'll be just as good.

NY may be a more natural 2 than Crawford because of his body type but we're a better team when Crawford starts. He's a bigger talent IMO and length aside, he's got higher potential. We've got a good thing going with a Wall/Crawford backcourt. We should try not to mess it up by over-thinking it. The two rookie phenoms who got triple doubles within their first 10 career starts should continue starting.

I absolutely never want Wall on the court with the ball outta his hands. He should never play off the ball his shot needs to much work. I just wish Wall had that aggressive nature to his game and constantly attacked because when he does he is outstanding.

With Crawford starting at the 2 guard everything has to be off the dribble lots of 1 on 1 and transition. He has no real ability to shoot off screens like NY.

---------- Post added April-2nd-2011 at 03:24 PM ----------

THE top play on Sportscenter :)

5ujqTGm9TUU

I think he is so much better with the ball in his hands playing PG last night was a good sample of that. Thats the problem for me Wall should never be without the ball. Crawford should be the primary backup at PG and also get big minutes at the 2 guard behind Young.

I think its a promising sign that Crawford did have a good collegiate shooting %.

Edited by Samuels

Fact is Blatche is far and away our best option at the 4. That isn't likely to change even after this years draft. As I've said before, I can't defend his poor play earlier this season, but when he's motivated and healthy he's a very good player. I'd still like to see what he can do on a competitive team with big minutes.

Hopefully Wall's impact has a positive effect on how the rest of the team spends their off season, cause you know Wall is going to go hard.

he's got Haynesworth Syndrome

the only time Blatche has shown motivation on a consistent basis was in a contract year, how convenient for him.

I'm done dealing with "talent" who only plays well "when they're motivated"

I absolutely never want Wall on the court with the ball outta his hands. He should never play off the ball his shot needs to much work. I just wish Wall had that aggressive nature to his game and constantly attacked because when he does he is outstanding.

With Crawford starting at the 2 guard everything has to be off the dribble lots of 1 on 1 and transition. He has no real ability to shoot off screens like NY.

Wall's shot is better than you make it sound and it will improve. He's already got a plan of attack for the summer and vowed to get better. I bet he'll come back next year (if there is a season) and look dramatically better. The tools are there for Wall to become a fantastic shooter and he's got that kind of drive and work ethic to realize that potential.

I also don't think Wall needs to constantly attack once his scoring outlets improve (and they already have somewhat). Wall's ability to attack the rim should remain his secondary weapon. I don't want Wall to become Derek Rose. I want him to be more of a Chris Paul with the ability to become Derek Rose for stretches when needed.

Regardless, it's definitely nice to have a player who can allow Wall to lay down his burdens, even when he's on the floor. Plus the two of them running a transition offense is deadly.

As far as the %s go, you've got to keep in mind Crawford is a rookie still adjusting to a new team and situation. His shooting %s will get much better as he matures. He'll also learn to catch and shoot, that's like the easiest thing for him to improve.

Also, there are chemistry factors that go beyond just Crawford or Young. I think it's plain that the offense has been better with both Crawford and Wall these past 10 games than it ever was with Young and Wall before. I think the rest of our starters like playing alongside Crawford a lot more than playing with Young.

the only time Blatche has shown motivation on a consistent basis was in a contract year, how convenient for him.

Huh? Pretty sure Blatche had 2 years left on his contract before signing the extension this season. I still have no problem with the extension, as it's still well below market value if this team starts to play well, and it's fairly friendly if we were to trade him.

I think its a promising sign that Crawford did have a good collegiate shooting %.

The kind of player he was for Xavier is the kind of player he can become for us.

Check out Crawford's spectacular performances in the tournament last year. He's a clutch go to scorer who is as comfortable being the man on your offense. We see from this year that he's also capable of facilitating his teammates. To me, that's more total value than what we get from Young as the starter. I think he's just better than Young. We should start our five best players as long as two of them are guards, two are forwards, and one is a center. If you want to get Young on the floor as a starter, let him start at the 3.

---------- Post added April-2nd-2011 at 11:52 AM ----------

Yeah I agree. Blatche is a six year veteran. If he were ever going to get serious, wouldn't he have done it by now? I think he's just a knucklehead. How much off the court crap has he been involved in over the years? A real professional wouldn't have come into this season as terribly out of shape as Blatche did. He was healthy at training camp. By his own admission he just sat up late at night eating junk food and got fat. Then there was fighting with McGee that night plus the shameful twitter battling with the fans. That's just this year and doesn't include the prostitute scandal and driving on a suspended license three damn times.

Maybe he can change but we'll be the fools if we get a decent offer for him but we hang on to him hoping for that change. He does need a change of scenery to get his career on track. Like GACOLB said, he's got too much of a history here and most of it is bad. I don't think he really fits in with our young blood and has too much old regime left in him. We'll be better in the long run if we trade him and that's how I think he represents the most value for us.

We'll replace him with Kanter :) and in the meantime we can have Rashard fill the finesse scoring PF role while we develop a new guy.

The kind of player he was for Xavier is the kind of player he can become for us.

Check out Crawford's spectacular performances in the tournament last year. He's a clutch go to scorer who is as comfortable being the man on your offense. We see from this year that he's also capable of facilitating his teammates. To me, that's more total value than what we get from Young as the starter. I think he's just better than Young. We should start our five best players as long as two of them are guards, two are forwards, and one is a center. If you want to get Young on the floor as a starter, let him start at the 3.

I have no problem going with Crawford, although I don't agree, but don't resign Young if the decide to go that route. NY is a pure 2 guard and a better 2 guard then Crawford.

Wall is what he is I don't think he will ever develop into no bigtime shooter. He has been a suspect shooter and been working on it every summer i'm sure just like Rondo. I just hope he can develop a reliable mid range game and the ability to knock down some 3's occasionally.

Wall being aggressive is not just shooting more to me. I think he needs to just attack more he puts so much pressure on the defense when he goes into aggressive mode. He needs to run at every chance and constantly attack off the dribble setting up kickouts and easy backets. I'd much rather him be Derrick Rose then Paul. I don't think the casual fan realizes the amount of pressure Rose puts on the defense and how truly good he is playing. Derrick Rose is quickly becoming the best PG in the NBA in my opinion and will only improve.

Huh? Pretty sure Blatche had 2 years left on his contract before signing the extension this season. I still have no problem with the extension, as it's still well below market value if this team starts to play well, and it's fairly friendly if we were to trade him.

Yeah the extension is ~ 6 million per year right? That's very tradeable, especially since he's only 24. It's basically the same deal as Drew Gooden's!

Also, if John Salmons can pull over 8 million a year for 5 years at 31, we'll be alright giving Young about 5-6 million a year for four or five years.

The only awful contract we've got is Rashard's and like I said before, that will actually become an asset by the next time we suit up once this lockout happens.

---------- Post added April-2nd-2011 at 12:02 PM ----------

Good teams can still afford to pay a sixth man a lot of money Samuels. Terry has a pretty big contract (~10 million a year for two more years) but he earns it. That's why I wouldn't have a problem with extending Young even as a bench player because he'd be an important one.

This team needs a stronger GM and coach to control these young guys. Blatche is an extremely valuable piece if he can be controlled and come off the bench. He can score just like Crawford. Those two playing under control would be a huge scoring boost from the 2nd units that is always underrated in basketball. Problem is his ego seems impossible to check. If he can't be controlled he needs to be traded. If he could guard a 3 because he'd make for a monster front court if he could play there, but he's slow.

Nick Young is another me-first player that won't succeed unless reigned in. McGee is the wild card he has improved but not enough. Centers are damn near impossible to find though so I think we keep him. Need upgrades at both starting forward spots the most.

Edited by Destino