Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

agreed i dont think i could handle watching another year of Mcgee starting

It's not just McGee starting. The culture on the team is crap and that seeped into everyone on the roster other than Wall (something that can change next season, sadly)

McGee needs to grow as a professional and contrary to the whiners he's not a horrible center. He'd be a great player coming off the bench IMO and he's improved a great deal over last year. He has a way to go but depth at center isn't easy to come by and for the most part you don't win in this league without depth. He's a keeper though he's clearly not a start at this point.

Blatche, has all the measurables you could want and a decent shot for a player his size. Problem is the guy just doesn't have a consistent motor. Another front court player that just doesn't fit the profile of a starter on an NBA basketball team. The minimum expected of any pro getting significant minutes is "production" and "effort". He's up and down on both counts.

The problem at Small Forward: Rashard Lewis and Josh Howard haven't been productive enough. Especially when you consider their history.

Nick Young. The definition of erratic paired with a questionable mindset. There is no game where you can say NY will put up 30 or 10 with any certainty as he appears as likely to give you one as he is the other. He's also likely to talk about how great he played after a loss which doesn't raise eyebrows on this team but makes me question his mindset. Winners don't even want to talk about great shooting nights if they lose the game.

The question i have is can we get a coach that can motivate/control these players and a GM that can do the same? Blatche and McGee are out of control, Nick Young is in his own world, and two talented SF's are on autopilot. That screams "management" IMO. There is no question the team needs talent, like I said they currently have one certain starter, but the fact that all of these nobody players are out of control is alarming. If you can't handle McGee what the hell are you going to do with a star sized ego?

Edited by Destino

With star sized ego's, at least you are working with something.

With Blatche and McGee, I see two guys with piss poor work ethic. Blatche to me is a lost cause. Sixth year veteran, has never been in shape and has gotten in a good amount of off court trouble but still hasn't abandoned or tried to make efforts to make a lifestyle change. Instead of rehabbing, getting in shape and being a solid player on the court, he's more concerned about the off court life style.

McGee is already a decent player but I don't see his worth once free agency rolls around. At least one GM will be tempted to give him a contract more than he is worth (maybe this changes due to a hard cap). I wouldn't give him up just for anything, but I'd listen to trade offers for players like Nic Batum or a pick in the top 12 of the draft.

To me there is one unforgiveable sin in sports: to quit. To give up, to go through the motions, to not give a ****. However you want to phrase it.

My biggest beef with Blatche has been just that. He is a quitter. He has no pride. Too often people look at the player but not the person. You cannot seperate the two. Great athleticism, nice skillset, and even decent numbers don't mean **** if you've got no heart.

Wall is a winner. Why? Because he goes out there night after night for the third worst team in the NBA and gives it his all. Ditto Booker, Seraphin, now Crawford and Hinrich before him. They are hungry, they have pride, they will do anything within their power to not to lose.

What I saw from McGee last night was an absolute disgrace. Worst even than Blatche. TV didn't do it justice. He quit. Flat out quit. It was embarrassing to watch. 20 years I've been watching NBA basketball and that was the most pathetic display of effort I have ever seen. When him and Flip got into I at first thought it Wall because Wall was saying **** to him as well as the walked off for the timeout. Wall is a winner. McGee is not.

You cannot win with people like Blatche and McGee. They don't have the heart to win. They don't have the heart to put in the necessary work to build on their potential. They don't have the heart to play tough against good teams. They don't have the heart to close out important, close games. They. Are. Losers.

So keep drooling over a vertical and a ****ing 8 rebounds a game for a **** team, but be prepared to tell me I was right all along when neither of these bums amounte to **** in the NBA.

I think our youngsters are showing up but just don't have the experience/skills to win. The few vets we have are mailing it in though. And with these "injuries", we're not in any rush to bring them back. Noe should we be. Playing for lottery balls: It's a Wizards tradition.

With Crawford, besides his aggresiveness, I love that he can also run the point. I think he has the potential to make himself and Wall one of the dangerous backcourt duo's of the NBA.

Ultimately GACOLB could be right. I don't think Blatche or McGee will ever be WINNERS.
How can anyone make that assertion on this completely abysmal team?

Crawford may be aggressive but he's another low IQ high volume player, not the player I want next to Wall at all.

You can make that assertion by looking at the effort they give on consistent basis. We have some of the lowest talent in the league right now, but Blatche & McGee often act like they just don't give a damn

its like a boxer who knows he's got no shot to win. Certain players on our team go down swinging, Blatche & McGee cower in the corner

if we get the #1 who do we draft? theres no sure fire guy right?

no consensus #1, no player has really separated themselves to make them the obvious pick.

for our specific team needs, I would go Sullinger then Kanter

Edited by StillUnknown

Allow me to tell you what is wrong with the Wizards....

Our team mainly consists of role players. Other than Wall and Rashard Lewis (when healthy), none of our players are starting caliber. Blatche is lazy as hell and has poor shot selection. Nick Young is so inefficient it is scary. Javale has more goaltendings each game than I though was humanly possible. When he gets the ball in the post, as soon as you see him take a dribble you know he is going to throw up his horrible hook shot.

On the other hand, Booker plays hard and is a nice role player. Wall of course is someone to build the team around. The Wizards dont give a damn on defense and Flip Saunders needs to go. I understand that we are rebuilding but the fact of the matter is that the horrendous attitude of the team might bring down Wall, and it is time for Blatche and McGee to go. We need to draft Harrison Barnes and look at bringing in a solid PF/C from free agency.

That is all.

No production from the SF position again. Booker looks likes a keeper (role player). Nick Young as erratic as ever. McGee proves again he's a backup. The team need 3-4 new starters to be competitive.

And yes, they've clearly quit. Also wall had more turnovers than assists which isnt surprising because I doubt Rondo could post consistent assist numbers on this offensively inept band of losers.

And yes, they've clearly quit. Also wall had more turnovers than assists which isnt surprising because I doubt Rondo could post consistent assist numbers on this offensively inept band of losers.

the fact that Wall is averaging very close to 9assists per game with this bunch is amazing to me.

kinda makes you wonder what his numbers will be like when he gets better teammates, particularly somebody who knows how to play in the post.

Bookmarked.

if we get the #1 who do we draft? theres no sure fire guy right?

This:

I'm taking Sullinger #1
i think id rather us get derrick williams, sullinger doesnt seem like he will be a dominant C in the nba

Sullinger isn't a center. There are no real classic centers in this draft. The weakest center class I think I've ever seen. Of course some teams will reach though.

the fact that Wall is averaging very close to 9assists per game with this bunch is amazing to me.

kinda makes you wonder what his numbers will be like when he gets better teammates, particularly somebody who knows how to play in the post.

Wall is averaging more assists this year than Rose, Williams, Paul and Rondo did their rookie seasons. And is ****ing sixth in the NBA right now. That is absolutely amazing. Wall is legit. He is a franchise player. And, in my opinion, he will be the best PG in the league in 3 years. I just pray we put a good enough team around him to keep him here.

No production from the SF position again. Booker looks likes a keeper (role player). Nick Young as erratic as ever. McGee proves again he's a backup. The team need 3-4 new starters to be competitive.

I read this thread after every game and everyone seems too have a hard on for McGee he was one of the only ones that really showed energy. He wasn't the problem out there he did well I might had got his shot blocked a few times but he rebounded,blocked shots and scored.

This whole team is a joke and a bunch of below to average players on this team. No one talks about Nick chuck the ball all day Young he never ever passes the ball. It seems like Flip only watches McGee everyone else can go out there and stink it up without any accountability. You people can't blame Blatche, this team needs a star we have a whole team full of role players.

Bookmarked.

(And just ftr so I don't have to keep doing this, anyone who goes on record in support of Blatche and McGee is getting bookmarked by me. That probably sounds annoying and douchey, but...I don't care. I hate those spoiled-brat losers.)

---------- Post added March-15th-2011 at 01:45 AM ----------

Oh and I'm not sold or committed to Nick Young in anyway. After out first 1st round pick, the most interesting thing for me in this upcoming offseason is to see what they decide to do with Nick Young. If the options are losing him or a long-term, Blatche-sized deal, I might have to go with losing him.

I read this thread after every game and everyone seems too have a hard on for McGee he was one of the only ones that really showed energy. He wasn't the problem out there he did well I might had got his shot blocked a few times but he rebounded,blocked shots and scored.

This whole team is a joke and a bunch of below to average players on this team. No one talks about Nick chuck the ball all day Young he never ever passes the ball. It seems like Flip only watches McGee everyone else can go out there and stink it up without any accountability. You people can't blame Blatche, this team needs a star we have a whole team full of role players.

This team needs TWO STARS or at least 1.5 more than it has now. Wall doesn't look like a scoring point guard to me which means that to succeed the team is likely to need one 20+ and one 16+ consistent scoring threat. Currently our scoring threats are Andre Blatche (~16ppg) and Nick Young (~18ppg). Blatche quits and Nick Young is the definition of inefficient. The upgrades are mostly going to be needed along the front court as superior point guard function better with competent big men than they seem to with a superior shooting guard (i can't think of any great teams with great back courts and weak front courts off the top of my head).