Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Just gotta take these games one at a time.  Well, for fans it's one thing to speculate about the 2nd round.  But I really hope these guys are keyed in for Friday night and don't get too far ahead of themselves.  I'm sticking w/ my prediction about the Wizards in 6. 

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think our players are going to be hungry though. And it also doesn't hurt that the Bulls play dirty. That could cause our players not to get complacent as well. 

DC is a basketball city and it can be a big basketball market with some winning and some consistency. In the Gil, Antawn and Caron days, the Verizon Center had great energy and the Wizards had great attendance numbers when the team was adequate. I think it is a better basketball market than you give it credit for. The attendance has been in the middle of the pack for the last few seasons, but the team has been terrible; that will happen anywhere, no matter what market. But that speaks to the strength of the market, the attendance numbers have been solid, despite having a bad product on the floor. But when the team is better, the attendance numbers have been very good, and higher than some other traditional "big basketball markets."

Everybody likes a winner, but the Wiz have done pretty well with attendance even when they have been bad. I think DC is a good basketball market, with some potential to become an even better one in the future.  

The key is winning. We have to be a consistent winner. I'm not saying we have to be the Spurs and win 50 every year, but we have to be competitive. 

Some idiot on twitter was saying bombs were going to explode on the Wiz flight home (to Gortat, Webster and Ariza) while threatening their kids by their full names. Full on messed up and sketchy.

Gortat responded, "keep crying!"

Should report him to authorities just to give him a hassle and teach him a lesson.

Edited by Sticksboi05

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/10826567/2014-nba-playoffs-chicago-bulls-buy-basket-game-2-need-buy-player-get-done

Wanted: A scorer at crunch time After their offensive drought in Game 2, it's clear what the Bulls need

By: Michael Wilbon 

~ The Wizards are good defensively. Good, but not so good the Bulls should go eight minutes without scoring. The Wizards ranked 10th among the NBA's 30 teams in defensive efficiency. They have, increasingly over the season, learned how to stop opponents late in games.

"The last two years we have been in a lot of top two defensive categories," Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. "This team has the belief, and I am an old-school coach. I come from Bobby Knight.

"You had to play defense. I still think defensive wins at this stage."

It does. But Wittman also has a lineup that features five fully capable offensive players who are a threat to score, plus three players who can come off the bench (Trevor Booker, Martell Webster and Andre Miller, who combined to shoot 10-for-15) and keep the offense humming while the starters rest. Those three Wizards reserves each had more baskets than Bulls starters Boozer and Jimmy Butler. ~

*At least he took a bite of his own crow, now he needs to chew and swallow it.

Edited by Renegade7

Well, I'll admit it, I shut the game off with about five minutes left.  Needed to go to work today, wife was angling for a little "couples time" with the kids in bed...it was a better offer than watching the team jack up bad shots and Joey Crawford blow the whistle every trip down the floor.  What a pleasant surprise to read on ESPN this morning.

ESPN Writers still holding out hope for their pick: the Bulls

http://tinyurl.com/kxxq6fv 

1. Fact or Fiction: The Bulls are done.

Dan Feldman, Piston Powered: Fiction. Five words: Randy Wittman versus Tom Thibodeau. Wittman has done well so far, but the deeper a playoff series goes, the more coaching matters, and Thibodeau is still the better coach. That gives the Bulls at least a fighting chance to adjust and overcome their 2-0 hole.

Nick Friedell, ESPN Chicago: Fiction. The Bulls have too much heart and toughness to just roll over now. Thibodeau and Joakim Noah won't let them. But -- if they can't find a way to score late in games all the heart in the world won't matter. The Bulls are being reminded of a lesson they've learned before: Talent usually wins out in the postseason.

Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: Fiction. These two games have been way too close to call it for the Wizards just yet. The Bulls have blown two leads in the final five minutes of regulation. If Noah is healthy, I'm not declaring him or his team out of it. They're not done, but their backs are against the wall.

Zach Harper, A Wolf Among Wolves: Fiction. It seems as though whenever we count the Bulls out of something, they catapult themselves back into the conversation and make something happen. They're not in a good position, but they've been resilient enough to persevere in the past. I don't think you can count them out just yet.

Brian Windhorst, ESPN.com: Fiction. No series is over after two games. Indeed, history shows us that being down 0-2 is big trouble and having to go on the road with that deficit is usually curtains. However, the Bulls have traits that travel, such as defense and rebounding, and they have shown they can win on the road in the playoffs. The Wizards are now the favorite, it changes the pressure profile.

Edited by Dub70s

The bulls aren't done.... yet. If the wizards take a 3-0 lead I'll feel a lot better. The wizards aren't exactly dominant at home and if they can't fix the free throw issues they're likely to give a game away.

Need to win game 3 most important game of the series cause I am going to be there!!!! Section 111 row B I am going to be in the ****ing house!! representing.

Freethrow shooting Wall missed 2 big ones, Beal missed one to get the lead, Nene and Gortat wasn't even close on there late attempts.

Have no desire for Melo AT ALL. I don't think he fits well with this team. He seems to need the ball to create far too much and wants high volume of shots or else he's a bit of a malcontent.

I agree with what someone else said...

First and foremost, I'd love Durant. Who wouldn't want to bring the DC kid home. His experience with Westbrook tells me he can play fine without having to have the ball in his hands all the time. I also think Wall is a far better distributor, rather than scoring, point guard than Westbrook is which should only help Durant. With Beal and KD teams would need to pick their poison in terms of which scorer to lock down.

Second, I'd love to have Love. Nice rebounding presence down low that can score, keeping teams from focusing on our talented back court. Love seems to want to go to a contender, and if the Wizards can pull off this series convincingly and look good in the next series I think it's reasonable to see them as an up and coming threat thanks to the youth of their back court duo.

Third, I like someones thoughts on Cousins. Previously had great chemistry with Wall and seems like the type that would do well for us.

Listening to John Wall, they know this isn't over and that the Bulls are the veteran team with experience. If the team is buying into that and treat game 3 like they are down 0-2, then the mindset is right. I kind of agree that nobody is done 0-2 in the NBA playoffs unless its a best of 5 series. 3 in a row wouldn't happen.

Still been a feel good day about them.

img_2995.gif?w=510

Good piece here.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bradley-beal-will-break-your-heart-and-other-thoughts-about-the-wizards/

Have no desire for Melo AT ALL. I don't think he fits well with this team. He seems to need the ball to create far too much and wants high volume of shots or else he's a bit of a malcontent.

I agree with what someone else said...

First and foremost, I'd love Durant. Who wouldn't want to bring the DC kid home. His experience with Westbrook tells me he can play fine without having to have the ball in his hands all the time. I also think Wall is a far better distributor, rather than scoring, point guard than Westbrook is which should only help Durant. With Beal and KD teams would need to pick their poison in terms of which scorer to lock down.

Second, I'd love to have Love. Nice rebounding presence down low that can score, keeping teams from focusing on our talented back court. Love seems to want to go to a contender, and if the Wizards can pull off this series convincingly and look good in the next series I think it's reasonable to see them as an up and coming threat thanks to the youth of their back court duo.

Going out on a limb there, huh?  Durant or Love?  You know what, I'd like one of those two guys on my team too.   Or maybe that James fellow.  I hear he's pretty good.

:)  

• Like 2

Going out on a limb there, huh?  Durant or Love?  You know what, I'd like one of those two guys on my team too.   Or maybe that James fellow.  I hear he's pretty good.

:)  

Durant has made certain statements that leads us to think we MIGHT have a shot.  ;)

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Anyone but the freaking heat and lebron. I cannot stand watching his crab walk beat us with a clutch bucket at the end of the game. I think he beat the wizards with two or 3 of those when we played them in the playoffs while he was with cleveland.

Yea he did.  Still bothers me to this day.  Just like it still bothers him when i call him King crab dribble whenever im at a wiz-heat game.  HA!

Edited by CurseReversed

Melo needing the ball to be effective isn't a problem.  In fact, that's exactly why he would be such a great fit here.

Who demands the ball on the Wizards?  Nobody.  We need someone who can score in any fashion and that's Melo.  Beal is a great off the ball player and isn't like Harden or Kobe, who need the ball in their hands so they can dribble for 20 seconds to get their shot.

Melo can do what Ariza does on offense plus a lot more.  Defense would falter.  I'm no salary cap expert so someone vet this:

Projected Salary Cap $63.2M

Projected Luxury Cap $77.0M 

Carmelo 20.0M

Nene 13.0M

Wall 13.7M

Beal 4.5M

Webster 5.4M

Miller 4.6M

Get rid of Porter.

Total: $61.2M

Resign Gortat and fill the rest of the roster through exceptions.

This series is far from over......just curious though, which team would be the more favorable match up for the Wizards in the 2nd round?

Atlanta.

But over the past two months, I've lost my fear of Indy.

Unless of course yesterday was a turning point and they found their mojo again.

But I'm not ready to say their back again after two quarters of excellent play. I think we can win a series against either.

Augustin got looks even after Ariza was put on him, but he didn't pull the trigger.  Love Beal's fearless attitude to letting the shot go, can believe how young he is, dude knows no fear :)

Beal hitting a spectacular game winner against Brooklyn last season for--I think--win number 5 was the first indication he was a cold blooded clutch scorer to me.

But I could tell he was fearless before that by the way he took the ball to the rim. Coming in, he had the reputation of a finesse player and a jump shooter. I remember him going for a very hard two hand poster dunk right on Josh Smith in one of his first games and Smith damn near took his head off he fouled Beal so hard. Didn't phase Beal at all. And in fact, the staff had to get him to take care of his body way more. He's not scared to fail, not scared of getting hurt. The sheer audacity of that attempted dunk impressed me. He had monstrous power on those two hand and tomahawk dunks.

That's how Jordan and Wade and Kobe would do it. They liked dunking it hard and embarrassing big guys. Beal's got that attitude.

So does Wall for that matter. He's dunked on a lot of big man and embarrassed a lot of players who tried to take it up soft. And Wall is clutch too, really thrives in pressure situations. Gets a little too confident sometimes actually. He'll throw up heat checks and he'll start unnecessarily leaning or fading away. But I'd rather have him boil over occasionally and be fearless in crunch time than not.

They're good. I think by about three years, they'll be the best backcourt tandem in decades. Better than the Run-TMC back courts in Golden State.

This Warriors fan is enjoying the hell out of the Wizards right now.  Like Charles Barkley said, the whole league is watching a team grow up before their very eyes.

I also think the whole league is watching them before their very eyes for the first time...

Wizards were bad. And unlike some other bad teams (Cleveland, Minnesota), they didn't really have a young star relentlessly promoting his own brand to draw in outside viewers. The Wizards had guys actively tanking the team's brand in fact (Blatche, JaVale).

So the team came together in relative anonymity, starting last season when Wall got back from injury. But that's when Wall took a major leap forward as a player, and when the team basically catapulted up from the dregs of the league to slightly better than .500.

But everyone who followed them regularly could see this team demonstrated they could pretty much hang with anyone when they didn't underachieve. A combination of injuries, really questionably coaching, and flat out underachievement due to immaturity (Gortat admitted the team didn't get up the same way for games against lesser teams) unnaturally depressed our records the past two seasons.

We finished with the 8th worst record last season and jumped up to the third pick in the draft SOLELY because of Wall's injury. There is no way we were the 8th worst team with a healthy Wall. That group would have been a playoff team. And then this season this team should have won over 50 games, they underachieved. And Chicago completely overachieved. I think it's pretty clear now that the Wizards are more talented and should have been the higher seed.

It's pretty gratifying to hear national media figures say, "haven't really seen much of the Wizards before this--they're pretty good."

The team is good. Good defense and inside and outside scoring ability. Sooo close to being legit, and really the only reason they aren't is because Wall and Beal aren't quite mature enough yet to be night in/night out superstars powering a contender. It's only a matter of time before that happens. How many other teams have a future with that kind of security and promise? Maybe New Orleans and Houston. Probably the Clippers. Is OKC's future with Durant as secure? What's Miami's next five years look like? San Antonio's? Chicago's?

What other team has two young players (in this case 20 and 23) that are very probably going to be the best players at their position in their prime years. Oh and those players happen to compliment each other perfectly, and give basketball purists boners with their pure positional play. The Wizards have control of the first 9 years of Wall's career and will almost certainly get control of the first 8 years of Beal's career. They're in a very good spot. Especially if Porter ends up being a third foundation piece.

• Like 1

Saw Wall proclaim 'this is my city' a bit back and it looked good on him and 100% believable. 

How has Porter shown defensively in his limited time?  Is he playable in anything other than a big win situation at this stage of his progression?